Moving from Ath-AD700 to something better! Suggestions plz!
Jul 28, 2010 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

IgorMendonca

New Head-Fier
Hi there everybody,

I'm currently unhappy with my AD700s (quite personal reasons) and willing to take another step towards audiphilia. After some researching I've came accross these current headphones:

- AKG 701 ($245)
- AKG 702 ($238)
- Grado SR225i ($200)
- Denon D2000 ($238)
- Beyerdynamic DT990 pro ($180)

I won't trespass $250 barrier, maybe I'll get to the $300s but only if it really worth it.

These are the catches regarding the headphones:
1) I'm quite an avid gamer/cinephile and I'm looking for superior soundstage, brightness and acceptable bass (no bass head here).
2) I have had some awful experiences with batteries so I am not willing to get an amp - yet.
3) Music isn't really a concern, which is good, because I listen to pretty much everything (from Spice Girls to Dimmu Borgir).
4) Last but not least, something durable and reliable like the AKGs with their removable cables.

Thanks for everybody who read this and specially for those who left their opinions and thoughts about this.

Kind regards, Igor.

PS: If you have any other suggestions please show me the wheres and whys based on those previous "catches".

Jul 29, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #3 of 24
if you want to run unamped, I think AKG should to go away from your list 
tongue_smile.gif

anyway, how about DT770/80? it's close, good staging ,and it has deep bass, good for quantity and quality wise.

Jul 29, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #4 of 24

Quote:
(quite personal reasons)

huh?  like, it's a touchy subject or something? 
confused_face(1).gif

if you shared why you aren't happy with the ad700, then we can steer you toward a headphone that won't repeat its transgressions. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #6 of 24
If your budget is fixed 250$ then I can't recommend the AKG's. Absolutely need an amp IMO (desktop amp no less, not a portable battery powered one). Never heard the beyers or denons, so I can't comment on those. Grado prestige series I found to be great unamped, so the sr225's should be more than fine.

Have you considered open or closed? Also, unamped the cheaper options stack up quite well, such as ath-m50.

Jul 29, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #7 of 24
I cant speak about other AKG models but the 242 HDs still sound pretty good without an amp. Unfortunately, they wouldnt fit the OPs critera because they dont have a detachable cord.

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify that I have used them via my Marantz cd player and A/V receiver for gaming and music. I have yet to try them with an mp3 player.

Jul 29, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #8 of 24

Quote:
if you want to run unamped, I think AKG should to go away from your list 
tongue_smile.gif

anyway, how about DT770/80? it's close, good staging ,and it has deep bass, good for quantity and quality wise.

What sort of benefits I'd get by having the AKG amped? I mean, could having it un-amped be that terrible? I'm thinking about using it on my iPod classic 160gb sometimes how bad would that be?

They're quite an option. I've found the DT770 for U$199 and the DT880 for U$235. How good would they sound without an amp?

Quote:

huh?  like, it's a touchy subject or something? 
confused_face(1).gif

if you shared why you aren't happy with the ad700, then we can steer you toward a headphone that won't repeat its transgressions. 
biggrin.gif

Haha not really actually. Its just that the left speaker simply died out of nowhere and they sent me a speaker for free, which is pretty good, but when I managed to change it I simply couldn't take any screw nicely so I ended up ruinning them all by still trying to take them off... well I have several screwdrivers and most of them seemed to fit nice but the screws simply wouldn't freaking turn! I've seen plenty of screws in my life and I'm pretty sure to assume that my AD700's were forged in hell.

After an epic medieval struggling battle the rage simply kicked in and I had the soldering iron touching the screws to melt the plastic a little so I could simply pull it apart. Luckly I had some hot glue to assemble it and the headphones are perfect again. LOL

I'd be incredibly happy if you'd recomend me a headphone that simply doesn't have it's screws tightly locked up as fuselage rivets just like my ad700 apparently had won't need any sort of repair in a long time.

Quote:
If your budget is fixed 250$ then I can't recommend the AKG's. Absolutely need an amp IMO (desktop amp no less, not a portable battery powered one). Never heard the beyers or denons, so I can't comment on those. Grado prestige series I found to be great unamped, so the sr225's should be more than fine.

Have you considered open or closed? Also, unamped the cheaper options stack up quite well, such as ath-m50.

How good would the Grado SR225 be over the ATH-AD700? I hear a lot about them.

I don't have any consideration for either closed or open, I just want a superior experience over the AD700s. Would the M50 deliver that unamped?

Quote:
I cant speak about other AKG models but the 242 HDs still sound pretty good without an amp. Unfortunately, they wouldnt fit the OPs critera because they dont have a detachable cord.

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify that I have used them via my Marantz cd player and A/V receiver for gaming and music. I have yet to try them with an mp3 player.

Having a detachable cord isn't really a must but it's certainly a plus, specially when I can have them traveling much easier. :)

Jul 29, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #9 of 24
You mention DT990 on your list, personally I think the DT880 are more neutral, I never liked the 770 or 990's.

The 702's are great but I find the build quality a little suspect, dont get me wrong its ok but I dont like the "elastic band" part of it, im always thinking of what happens if it breaks.

The SR225i are way too bright for my tastes, ok if your amp has the high end falling away but then I dont know of any decent amp that would have a rolled off high.

Jul 29, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #10 of 24

Quote:
You mention DT990 on your list, personally I think the DT880 are more neutral, I never liked the 770 or 990's.

The 702's are great but I find the build quality a little suspect, dont get me wrong its ok but I dont like the "elastic band" part of it, im always thinking of what happens if it breaks.

The SR225i are way too bright for my tastes, ok if your amp has the high end falling away but then I dont know of any decent amp that would have a rolled off high.

Which one would you recomend me? The 32 or the 250 ohm version?

I don't think I'm getting an amp but I'm quite sure I should be getting an STX in a few months. My onboard card gave my AD700 quite a nice sound. Do you think the DT880 will give me a superior experience for a while or only when I get an STX?

Thanks.

Jul 29, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #11 of 24
<<<Having a detachable cord isn't really a must but it's certainly a plus, specially when I can have them traveling much easier. :)>>>

I can certainly understand why you would want a detachable cord if you planned on traveling with these cans. My 242s are exclusively for private home use so them not having one doesn't really bother me. I wish you well on your journey for new cans.

Jul 29, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
<<<Having a detachable cord isn't really a must but it's certainly a plus, specially when I can have them traveling much easier. :)>>>

I can certainly understand why you would want a detachable cord if you planned on traveling with these cans. My 242s are exclusively for private home use so them not having one doesn't really bother me. I wish you well on your journey for new cans.

Actually I'm using mine for home too but I'd love to take them to work/college as well. I just don't because I'm afraid breaking the cable with all the wraping in the bag. Anyways thanks for everything :)

Quote:
You Have To "Bite The Bullet" and get an AMP!!! JMO, If you want Bass or that HI-FI sound!
wink.gif

Aww man come one! Not even an ASUS STX would do it? Does it really has to be an AMP? Those things are just way too expensive. :/

Jul 29, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #14 of 24
No problem, I have only had the 242s for a few days, but so far, I definitely like what I have been hearing. Very good soundstage. Bass is not overwhelming, but still very present and crisp. Like you, I am also not a bass head. My receiver and component cd player are driving these to more then an acceptable volume level without an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back