Movie headphones for noob (Sennheiser? Beyerdynamic? AKG?)
Sep 12, 2011 at 6:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Paku

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've never been a headphone guy before but my living situation now requires I make a change.

I will be using them for movies mainly. Some music and games as well of course, but that they sound good when watching movies is what's important. So, maybe something with at least somewhat decent bass? And the ability to produce clear dialogue?

Also they need to be comfortable for use over extended periods, and preferably not too heavy. I don't know if it's the shape of my ears, or that I wear glasses, or a combination thereof, but many (admittedly cheap) headphones and headsets I've tried, particularly of the on-ear variety, have pinched my ears in such a way that they're a pain to wear after just a minute or two and the ears are all red afterwards.

I have looked around a bit and found three sets that seem to be fairly popular, all of them at about the same price point:

Sennheiser HD595
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro
AKG K 601

I was looking at the Sennheiser RS180 as well, but the fact they take twice as long to charge as to use seems to be a bit of a pain.

Problem is I can't seem to find much information on how they perform for movies, and I live in a podunk little town so I have no way to try them out either.

Would appreciate any help, thoughts or recommendations.

Thanks.

Sep 12, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #2 of 13
Get some ATH-AD700's

Light, comfortable and great for movies

Don't need a amp, btw.

Sep 12, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #3 of 13
If you have a decent receiver then I can recommend the K601.
I occasionally watch TV using an old Sony receiver headphone
out and they perform ok for this purpose/

Great soundstage. Although having recently tried the
AD700 - I was very impressed with the airy sound from
these cans for the price, a touch of graininess here
and there but for the money they are impressive.

Sep 12, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
Get some ATH-AD700's

Light, comfortable and great for movies

Don't need a amp, btw.

AD700 surely the good choice, sounds open and offer great soundstage for it's price. I found the AD300 to be a good deal too! 
The 3D wing headband feels special too.

Sep 12, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #5 of 13
get HD555. cheap, very comfy and good clarity. and since I also wear glasses, I can confirm that HD555 most likely suits you..

Sep 12, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
Hi,

I will be using them for movies mainly. Some music and games as well of course, but that they sound good when watching movies is what's important. So, maybe something with at least somewhat decent bass? And the ability to produce clear dialogue?

Can't believe the guys above me are recommending the AD700 - great for gaming, not so immersive for movies, and definitely not for bass.

DT990s would be a good choice - strong bass and highs - at the expense of the mids a little.  Good sound-stage though.  Good for rock, fun for movies, not bad for gaming either.

For an alternative - DT880.  More balanced, better mids than the DT990 IMO, not as much bass but still present, treble is also not as hot, but maintains good clarity.  Sound-stage isn't as big, but I find it quite good for gaming or movies.  Really good all-rounder.

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #8 of 13
I wouldn't suggest AKGs for gaming and movies unless you have a good amp.  They are great for music, gaming (because of detail) and okay for movies if you would like to invest, but denons, beyers and sennheisers (probably denons and beyers because of bass) should probably suit you best as brooko and raven suggest.

Sep 12, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #9 of 13
Thanks for all the help guys! The AD700 doesn't seem to be available to buy anymore here in Sweden, and the Denon D2000s are way too expensive, more than twice the price of all the other headphones mentioned in the thread.

And I forgot to mention that I won't be using an amp but running straight from my HTPC, so maybe the AKGs are out then. Leaning towards the DT990 Pro now.
smile.gif

Sep 12, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #10 of 13
Heya,

Throw AD700 out of the window. Anemic. Terrible for movies. Not even good for most music. In the same money tier, the Fischer Audio FA-011 is better in all aspects (including gaming) other than efficiency, but even at it's impedance, a 10 year old sound card will power it quite fine.

Look into:

Open:

Fischer Audio FA-011 & Fischer Audio FA-002
BeyerDynamic DT990 or DT880 32~250ohm versions. Go PRO for inexpensive.
Sennheiser HD595 (or 598)
Ultrasone HFI 2400

Closed:

Ultrasone HFI 780
Denon D1100
AKG K272 HD

Very best,

Sep 12, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #11 of 13
Talking about Sweden you could by my AD 700. Just collecting dust. I wouldn´t agree they are anemic. Possible anemic low bass response since they don´t have that much of that. It´s not for bass heads but the soundstage and clear mid range is great traits for movie watching. As for fit they are lightweight but a bit huge. The fit is a bit strange but if you have glasses you appreciate that it´s mostly the lower part of the earpads that touch your skull. Pretty much the only headphone where I been able to use my headphones normally. I generally put them over the scalms which really don´t effect comfort or vision or anything for me. So that is a bit of a non issue for me personally.

HTPC supposedly silent so you don´t need closed?

DT 990 is interesting otherwise. Can´t quite get them for the price of the AD 700 but seen it for around 1500 SEK. Don´t remember where though.

Sep 12, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #12 of 13
if you can handle a bit of sibilent ssses and cymbals from the 990 then get em.  i say grab the 600 ohm if you have a reciever with a nice HP jack.  if you can drive the 702s i would figure the 990/600 wouldn't be a problem.

hey Malveaux, hows the Lyr?  Do you still have your 990/600? 

Sep 12, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #13 of 13
Pair the AD700 with a mixamp, and its soundstage becomes magical while in DH.  Its comfort is very magical too.  I've definitely enjoyed it a lot for both movies and non-competitive gaming alike.  It's the only headphone I've kept so far in my long journey in search of the perfect headphone.

There's of course way better alternatives out there, but there's just something about the combination of huge soundstage with dh and great long term comfort that always puts a smile on my face everytime I pick up the AD700.

The Denons have come the closest to producing the movie theater lower sub-bass rumble, and if you're really after that, then maybe DT770 pro might be a choice over the DT990 pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back