Move over AD700 and other mid-fi headphones, Onn is in town!!!... Who??? (Canadian's REJOICE!)
Nov 4, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #31 of 55
Anyone remember these $8 cans from Big Lots?

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/245926/8-headphones-strongly-resemble-audio-technicas-painted-my-grills-black

Nov 4, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #33 of 55

I think you described it pretty well, the stock cable is the worst I've ever seen.  If your willing to give them a try, do a recable and you should be pleasantly surprised.  I have trouble listening to the stock pair for more than 10 seconds because they are just so lacking.  The recabled version is better in every way.

Good luck.

I will do a tutorial when I recable the next pair.

Quote:
You're not missing much. I've done some further listening and the initial buzz is wearing off fast. I'm sort of growing more resentful of the sound rather than more appreciative. No low end to speak of and the top end is unrefined and coarse. Vocals sound rather unsubstantial, kind of hollow. Sonically, they do play in a similar field as the HD555 and DR150, but when you factor in the pathetic cable and cheap construction, I would say that they are a good buy at $40, nothing more. And I do think that the housing is the limiting factor in the sound, and there's not much one can do to change that outside of a complete rebuild/mod.

Nov 4, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #34 of 55
Wow, I am surprised you are finding these lacking in bass, they seemed much stronger to me than the AD700/900 and at least as strong as the HD600. Having said that, in their stock state the bass definitely is a bit boomy and unrefined but the re-cable does solve that issue mostly. They are not super headphones but I find I like them more than alot of other headphones I have had including the HD555 and the HD595 as well as the ones I originally mentioned. Of course this is simply a case of my liking certain sonic aspects of these over others versus them really being better. But their price point does help me appreciate them even more.

Nov 11, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #35 of 55
Well the low cost ONN has lead me to try another low price but quality sound headphone, the Superlux HD668B, I just placed an order for these from http://www.pawmusic.com/collections/headphones which is a Canadian On-line reseller. I figured I might as well see how these stack up against another low price headphone that has good reviews. I will also at some point do an A/B comparison between these and the AD700 which I gave to my Mother for Christmas last year.

I haven't bought a second pair of these for modding yet but will do that as well.

Nov 22, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #37 of 55
I'll be getting these for my mom later today (she needed a cheap, comfortable movie headphone so figured these would fit the bill) so I'll make sure to give it a listen before I hand it over to her.

Nov 24, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #38 of 55
So I've been trying these out for the last day and a half or so, and I do agree that they sound pretty good for the price. It's quite impressive how they do the mids and manage to stay relatively neutral throughout the spectrum, although they do seem to roll off severely at the extremes.  But the music never really sounded "wrong" on any of the songs and that's a sign of good sound quality IMO... it's really nowhere close to the HD600 in overall refinement or anything, but I can understand where that comparison came from.  Sound quality wise they definitely get a pass for me.

However, I'll be returning these shortly because they have perhaps the worst fit out of any headphones that I've tried to the day.  They have failed MISERABLY in trying to copy the AT wing system, which doesn't work at all.  The wings don't even have any tension on them and the only thing that keeps them on your head is heavy pad clamp, which IMO is on par with a out of the box HD650 which I find way too tight to be comfortable.  I can also say right now that if you have an average or slightly smaller than average head, you definitely should look elsewhere. The pads don't fit properly at all on my 7 1/4 inch hat-size head, and only way to get these even close to wearable is to bend the headband arc bar to adjust the pad angle properly... and even after doing so it didn't really fit all that well.  Also, I know these are $40 headphones, but I find the build quality incredibly shoddy even at that price.  It's not so much the cables (which IMO, is actually better than the atrocity that is D2000 stock cable... it's actually flexible) but the frame and overall construction... the wings actually don't even align symmetrically when held straight, and the part where you attach the earpads actually have gaps in it, which I found pretty shocking.

Compared to a headphone that I feel is a direct competitor at this price range, Koss UR40, they do sound more neutral and hifi but UR40's are miles more comfortable, better built, more portable, and still close in overall sound quality (but of different type; less neutral but more fun)... not to mention that you're getting a lifetime warranty with the UR40's.  I can recommend these headphones if one is willing to mod it completely and put the drivers in a new frame or something, but in their stock form, I don't think these are really worth it as an overall package.

Nov 24, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #39 of 55
Quote:
Well the low cost ONN has lead me to try another low price but quality sound headphone, the Superlux HD668B, I just placed an order for these from http://www.pawmusic.com/collections/headphones which is a Canadian On-line reseller. I figured I might as well see how these stack up against another low price headphone that has good reviews. I will also at some point do an A/B comparison between these and the AD700 which I gave to my Mother for Christmas last year.

I haven't bought a second pair of these for modding yet but will do that as well.

those look pretty good for sixty dollars!

Nov 24, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #40 of 55
The QNN are quite nice especially if your affected by highs in regards to ear fatigue. The Superlux on the other hand has alot more treble energy and almost as much bass. I will be keeping both since they both make certain genre's sound good. Both are excellent value.

Mar 26, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #42 of 55
Please , Please make a tutorial, im desperately awating it. i have these headphones and want to know how you made yours so much more epic... i need to know what cable you have and how you got the phones to turn that much. Im 17, and i really want to get into this kind of stuff i want to mod mine to the limit ..

May 15, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #43 of 55
Bump.

I was moderately interested in these as soon as I saw these at the local Walmart here in Toronto a few weeks ago. Today my dad and I went by there to get some printer ink and I mentioned those headphones, he was like "hey I don't have headphones right now, might as well try these" so I got him a pair. They are currently $39.

After some EQing, holy cow these sound INCREDIBLE for their price! I was comparing them with my M50's (extensively modded already), and though the Onn's have a slightly less refined sound (a bit less detail), they sound just as musical in many genres compared to the M50's - e.g. the Onn's sound amazing with Jazz / orchestral music, there is a very smooth high and superb instrument separation, and mids are very very smooth as well, a tad on the lush side though I adjusted that a bit in EQ, bass is ample and very punchy indeed, though doesn't extend into sub-bass because the headphones are inherently open design.

I'll probably buy a pair for myself sometime in the near future!

One slight annoyance though is that the pads rest on a bad angle on large heads (like mine) and put too much pressure on the temple area.

Jun 13, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #44 of 55
holy cow, ok i posted on the headphone sightings thread a few months ago i thought i had seen the ad700s. but now that i have seen pics of these i am confident that these were what i saw. they sound great i had no idea they were so cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back