Move over AD700 and other mid-fi headphones, Onn is in town!!!... Who??? (Canadian's REJOICE!)
Oct 31, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #16 of 55

Quote:
Rawrster, I bought these because they did look a lot like AD700/900 cans, but they are actually oval as compared to round, and they sound nothing like the AD series because the bass is so much more pronounced. They also have none of the fit issues I had with the AD700 in particular as they are snug on the old noggin.

If anyone is interested in trying these all I would want to recoup is my shipping costs and the $40 they cost to buy. If you want them re-cabled, I'll have to talk with the person who cabled mine to get a price for you though. I suspect it will be around $25 but he may have just been doing me a favour when I bought mine and may actually charge a bit more than $25 to ensure all his costs are covered as well as some of his time. But I will find out if you want him to do it. He might also be willing to prep the cable and let you finish the wiring job yourself if your into DIY stuff. I'll also find out what type of cable he used if I can.

These do seem interesting and not surprisingly I'm always a sucker for a good deal. If you can get me a pair recabled I might be tempted although I do have enough stuff in my house already. How long have you had them just out of curiosity? How hard are they to drive as well.

Oct 31, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #17 of 55
As my first post said these are not going to beat top tier gear but as Robin says they also don't do anything exceptionally wrong either. The thing is when they can at least compete for attention against HD6x series headphones and they cost a fraction of that price, it's a pretty good deal. In my comparison chart they only manage to be best out of the 3 headphones I compared them to in one area and that was only after the re-cable, the thing is they manage to avoid all of the pitfalls I found in those 3 headphones. So if someone owns one of those headphones and does not consider what I mention as being a problem then they should stick with what they own. But if you own one of those 3 phones and find the areas I mentioned unsatisfying then for the price of these they are well worth a try.

To put these in some more context, I have also owned the Phillips HP910 which retail for just about the exact same price and these Onn's are better in every single way over the Phillips headphone and just as well built (which is to say average at best). I also have owned the JVC DX1 and find these have much better bass and as good a mid-range as the DX1 but not as good a treble, so because I like my bass I no longer own the DX1 but don't think I will be selling these unless I upgrade to a top tier headphone and then I will likely still keep these for use at work or something.

Oct 31, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #18 of 55
I have had mine for about 3 weeks now rawrster and they have a couple hundred hours of head-time and burn-in on them. I find they need an amp to shine and am using the amp in my signature or my Auzentech Forte 7.1 to drive them. When I use them with my iPhone, they sound OK, but do lose some of the resolution and detail and need to be cranked up considerably more than any of my IEM's (comfortable loud is about 3/4 volume). Consequently I just bought a small portable amp from |Joker| that will hopefully drive these with my iPhone as I do think I may use these at work if it doesn't draw to much attention.

BTW I used the burn-in files in my signature to burn these in for the first 70hrs or so but thought they were starting to get a bit to warm sounding so switched to using music after that and have left them playing music (with my burn-in files thrown into the mix for at least 150 more hours.)

Oct 31, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #19 of 55
A couple years ago Big Lots had a headphone that looked like this, but silver.

Probably had different drivers as those sounded only decent.

Edit: found one of the threads.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/255667/accura-sr-660-mods-projects-thread

found the other.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/245926/8-headphones-strongly-resemble-audio-technicas-painted-my-grills-black

Oct 31, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #20 of 55
Those threads do look a lot like the Onn except for color not sure what the bass was like those though.

Oct 31, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #21 of 55
These are definatially from the same factory.  There are some very subtle differences but otherwise match the pictures pretty well.  It would be interesting to compare that version to this Onn version, but I can say with these a recable is necessary.  I wonder if some of the mods used on those ones would work on these as well.

Ohh... and the model # of these ONDH-660

Oct 31, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #22 of 55
Robin, where did you find the model #?

Considering the other headphones were SR-660 it does seem to have a similar model number suggesting they are from the same factory. I will have a thorough read through the other thread and see which of the mods I feel up to giving a whirl. If these are nothing new, that's OK since they seem to have not been around for a few years and are definitely worth trying after a re-cable. I will get together with Robin when we both have time and have another listen between his and mine and I will be picking up another pair in the next couple of weeks to use for DIY stuff, but will burn-in that pair like I did my first pair to ensure some of the sonic differences we are noticing are not cause by differences in burn-in technique vs. differences in manufacturing from batch to batch.

Oct 31, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #23 of 55
After brief listening I can say that, sonically, these are a steal for $40. No real problem areas, highs line up with the mids, mid/upper bass is a bit prominent but not in a boomy, irritating way. I'd say they are at least as good or better than, say, the Goldring DR150 or Sennheiser HD555. You get very, very nice midrange with a sacrifice of the frequency extremes. And the drivers seem to be pretty closely matched because imaging is very good.

The construction, however, is pretty lame. Good thing the 'phone is super light and the fit is snug because the headband "flaps" are next to useless at holding the headphones in place. I'd love to hear these drivers in a proper enclosure. It'd probably be worthwhile to buy up a few pairs of these and design a nice wooden enclosure and proper headband.

Nov 1, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #24 of 55

Quote:
Robin, where did you find the model #?

Considering the other headphones were SR-660 it does seem to have a similar model number suggesting they are from the same factory. I will have a thorough read through the other thread and see which of the mods I feel up to giving a whirl. If these are nothing new, that's OK since they seem to have not been around for a few years and are definitely worth trying after a re-cable. I will get together with Robin when we both have time and have another listen between his and mine and I will be picking up another pair in the next couple of weeks to use for DIY stuff, but will burn-in that pair like I did my first pair to ensure some of the sonic differences we are noticing are not cause by differences in burn-in technique vs. differences in manufacturing from batch to batch.

The model # is on the back of the "box" near the center, mine was partially covered by a sticker but it's there.  Let me know if you find any good mods, mine have been broken in with average volume music.

Nov 3, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #25 of 55
Just went and picked some up tonight - very impressed for $39 wow - a keeper. Will probably buy a backup pair as I may ruin them when I attempt a re-cabling. A recabling  guide would be awesome if you are still making one. They come with a VERY long shoelace type of cable.

Nov 3, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #26 of 55
Man I wish these were available here in the States...

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #27 of 55
I am curious about these but I guess we can't have it all. Typically US gets amazing prices compared to the rest so I guess this is a rare case when that doesn't happen.

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #28 of 55
I will leave the guide up to Robin as I am a klutz with a soldering iron and have to rely on the professionals. Glad others finding this little gem. I just found out I can use headphones at work so I think I will be using my 2nd pair (just as soon as I buy them) at the office after I play and experiment with them. If anyone in the US wants a pair of these I would be willing to help out a good cause. It won't be quite as cheap due to shipping costs but these really do sound nice for their modest price.

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #29 of 55
I'd be willing to snag a pair off ya and pay for shipping as well, just hit me up with a PM when you have time
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #30 of 55

Quote:
Man I wish these were available here in the States...

You're not missing much. I've done some further listening and the initial buzz is wearing off fast. I'm sort of growing more resentful of the sound rather than more appreciative. No low end to speak of and the top end is unrefined and coarse. Vocals sound rather unsubstantial, kind of hollow. Sonically, they do play in a similar field as the HD555 and DR150, but when you factor in the pathetic cable and cheap construction, I would say that they are a good buy at $40, nothing more. And I do think that the housing is the limiting factor in the sound, and there's not much one can do to change that outside of a complete rebuild/mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back