Most underrated and overrated headphone? For a bit of fun :)
Oct 16, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #241 of 589

Bose is even worse than Beats since most people think they make the best headphones.  Well, at least here in the US...because in Europe I saw Sennheisers everywhere...I only noticed one or two Beats in a sea of Sennheiser (and a couple of other respectable brands).

hm here in Australia I don't see many people use Bose but Beats is like omnipresent and it really annoys me.
From what I've read Bose actually makes one of the best noise cancelling headphones out there and is (i think) well recognized by the audiophile community (QC15)

Oct 16, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #242 of 589
overrated: 

Vmoda m80 (who engaged the 'loudness'?  please turn it off ... and yes i own a pair)

Grado SR325is (ok, now the bass filter is engaged and the treble waaaaaaaay up!  ...  bought from a disappointed user for a serious discount.  and still own them.  gawd)

underrated:  Beyerdynamic DT1350 and possibly the Etymotic HF5. 

cheers.

Oct 16, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #243 of 589
Some more overrated and underrated cans in my opinion.

Underrated : KRK KNS 6400 .  Good and neutral sounding closed circumaural headphone.It's well balanced from lows to highs.Good and natural midrange for the price.Highs are clear,maybe slightly grainy,but not harsh.Lows are fine,lacking a bit of extension at the very low freqs.There was a mild midbass emphasis/reverbation (due to close design maybe),that improved after covering some of the holes on the earcups with some tape.

Overall quite good headphones,with somewhat lively and clear sound,but neutral and well balanced.Good soundstaging and imaging too.Musical sounding for sure.There are also very comfy and stable on the head.Easy to drive from portables.

Overrated : Their more expensive sibling,the 8400.I can't understand the general opinion that these are neutral....When I carefully tested them with same player and music as my 6400,I found them to have an unnatural fat midrange to bass coloration,making them sound weird and not good at all.I blame their plush pleather earpads for this and I wonder how they will sound with the (ok,lesser quality) 6400 pads.Or maybe something else went wrong when I tested them. 

Oct 16, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #244 of 589
 Fixed that for you, definitely not a headphone 
tongue.gif

Beats are not even jewelry. just a plastic piece of crap! There are just too many people with really bad taste around to wear them.

You know I think since they've gone away from monster, the sound has gotten a bit better but the sound is still overrated.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Oct 16, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #245 of 589
Underrated: AIAIAI TMA-1 Studio. Properly amped, these are some of the best cans for electronica if you're not a basshead. Great for artists like Autechre and Boards of Canada. The Klipsch S4 ii is also underrated for sound, build quality is lacking though.

Overrated: V-moda M100. I enjoyed the M80's sound, so I heard the M100 was a step up with a bigger bass response, and what I got was a very uneven headphone with a bloated bass response. It worked for bassier electronica, like Skrillex, but I'm not a big dubstep/EDM fan. Poorly designed earpads and iffy build quality (a friend's snapped at the hinge when folding it, it had gotten very rusty even though he never exposed it to water) didn't help.

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #247 of 589
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will agree with you if you mean the AKG K701/2 with the bump on the headband otherwise, their products line are very comfortable to me
smily_headphones1.gif

Originally Posted by blueangel2323 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K81dj were like a torture device 
biggrin.gif

+1 for the K518LE (ouch)...fun little headphone though!

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #249 of 589
I think a lot of us here are making too many broad statements and judgements... As they say, "horses for courses."

It would be better to say "overrated in aspect X."

Example- for people who desire sound staging and detail, who have cash, the HD800 is a steal- to get that last few percent, we are talking Stax Omega prices.

Take the HE-500. People praise its detail retrieval- that aspect is way overrated. It is outperformed by headphones half its price. Its Fun Factor is quite underrated, though.

The difference with Grados and the LCD2s, is that nobody recommends them for people looking for neutrality. In this respect, they are NOT overrated, as nobody claims that they are good at a feature that they lack. Though, the LCD2's near cult following is a bit irritating, I will admit, However, I highly doubt that it isn't at least in large part, justified.

To truly earn the moniker of completely being overrated, sound, features, and aesthetics, you'd have to go as low as Beats, Bieber, and Triports. Arguably, also, the Abyss is, whose being priced as much as a a Stax 009, is unforgivable, and clearly its price was determined before they figured out how well it worked. That sales tactic of making it seem better than it really is due to artifically inflating its price (hello Kirby Vaccuum and Louis Vuitton, I'm talking to you!) does really annoy me.

Example of not overrated- wow, those Skullcandy or V-Modas, as a fashion statement, run the risk of being underrated, at least here on head-fi. They look awesome for their target demographic, and that's what they are for.

The M50's... My sister is very picky. She wants a durable, transportable (goodbye ATH-A700/900!) circumaural headphone that offers some isolation (that narrows things down a lot), fits people with small heads (goodbye K550!), has a flat [Clarification: I really should have said a not-recessed treble]frequency response (goodbye Shure 840!), is drivable without an external amp (goodbye DT770!), is neutral and not dark sounding (goodbye HD380!), isnt flashy (goodbye V-Moda!), isn't Sony (bad experience in the past), and is a firm max of 200 USD new with warranty from a place with a good return policy.

The M50, frankly, is by far the best fit, and to her, not at all overrated. See what I mean?

Now, maybe the most egregiosly underrated in pretty much every respect are the lower priced Koss or Monoprice offerings.

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #250 of 589
  I found them too boomy. I do have some basshead tendencies for my portable headphones but I prefer my bass deep down, with no emphasis above 200Hz. They sounded pretty good otherwise for the price though.

Yep...they are.  Got them for free with an Amazon gift card and thought I'd use them as a cheap portable out of my Clip Zip.

May mod them and my HD428s to get some experience prior to trying mods on more expensive cans

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #251 of 589
The M50's... My sister is very picky. She wants a durable, transportable (goodbye ATH-A700/900!) circumaural headphone that offers some isolation (that narrows things down a lot), fits people with small heads (goodbye K550!), has a flat frequency response (goodbye Shure 840!), is drivable without an external amp (goodbye DT770!), is neutral and not dark sounding (goodbye HD380!), isnt flashy (goodbye V-Moda!), isn't Sony (bad experience in the past), and is a firm max of 200 USD new with warranty from a place with a good return policy.

I wouldn't say that the M50 are any flatter in frequency response than the 840. The M50 are slightly v-shaped and the 840 are slightly mid-forward, so it's a give and take. If anything, the 840 are closer to what's traditionally considered "neutral" than the M50.

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #253 of 589
I wouldn't say that the M50 are any flatter in frequency response than the 840. The M50 are slightly v-shaped and the 840 are slightly mid-forward, so it's a give and take. If anything, the 840 are closer to what's traditionally considered "neutral" than the M50.

She was quite unhappy at the Shure's recessed treble, which for her, made it seem wonky, and made the M50's seem balanced in comparison. She is more sensitive to recessed highs than mids, so we had to weigh things accordingly.

Good point, though.

Oct 16, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #254 of 589
She was quite unhappy at the Shure's recessed treble, which for her, made it seem wonky, and made the M50's seem balanced in comparison. She is more sensitive to recessed highs than mids, so we had to weigh things accordingly.

Good point, though.

I'm surprised she is okay with comfort, they clamp tight as heck and the pad leaches onto your ears for sweat. My ears gets dehydrated from how much I sweat. Other than that they are pretty decent headphones as a fun headphone, just wish I didn't give them away before I could buy some velour pads to swap out.

Underrated- esw9, just great for portable at home/hotel headphones. They get unnotice now that other portable are come out by the dozens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back