Most powerful portable amp
May 1, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #46 of 61
ALO Continental claims 20 V P-P. 

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #49 of 61
Dear all,
   I am currently running the ibasso pb2 with an onkyo se300 soundcard headphone out jack which provides internal amplification already, while using max output from the soundcard connecting to the PB2 (in stock buffer and opamp setting) using 3.5mm jack and then connecting the PB2 to hd650 using 3.5mm cables, the volume is loud enough with the volume dial on eleven o'clock position (~30-40% estimated), will using the included buffers to achieve the 2500mW power output help the sound quality? if not, will using dummy buffers to gain more details be better? 

thanks

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #50 of 61
Hi Chik,

Prior to spending any money on different op-amps for your PB2, I vigorously recommend that you get yourself a good USB DAC.  You will be amazed at how much better everything sounds when you bypass the sound card.  Using player software such as Foobar 2000 in combination with the WASAPI plugin can also bypass the operating system's handling of your sound - for a more direct path to the USB DAC.

You are currently double-amping - simply amplifying the sound quality (or lack of sound quality) produced by your sound card.  Giving yourself more headroom by increasing the PB2's current or voltage will not fix what's wrong with your current setup.

I know that the cost of a few op-amps might be more appealing than saving for a USB DAC, but  again, in my opinion, a DAC should be first on your shopping list.  

The Stoner Acoustics UD100 costs about $60.00 with shipping.  It's got the same ESS9023 DAC chip found in the $280 Audioquest Dragonfly, with some major differences - the UD100 DAC does not include an analog volume control, but that's OK, since you would be using your PB2, rather than plugging headphones directly into the DAC, and the UD100's USB receiver chip can only handle redbook audio (44.1 kHz / 16-bit), where the Dragonfly's USB receiver chip can handle hi-rez files (i.e. 96/24).

If you don't have any hi-rez files, the UD100 is a pretty good deal as your first USB DAC.   

An equally affordable ESS9023 DAC that actually offers 96/24 capability is the HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC.

These 9023 DACs will sound a little thin and lack warmth compared to some more expensive DACs (like the DACport LX), but they deliver plenty of detail, and you can "warm" them up with your PB2, by experimenting with op-amps, later.

I hope I haven't been too forward in telling you how to spend your money, but feel free to solicit other opinions and enjoy the journey!  

smile.gif

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #51 of 61
hi zilch,
   thanks for your advice! I will definitely go for a try for a usb dac! And in the meantime actually I rather enjoy the onkyo sound card's signature (when paired with the lower power requirement IEM like the UE900 with an 100Ohm adapter), just that I read here about the hd650 will need an good amp for the sound quality and the voltage swing/output current, so merely being curious will getting a higher current or to increase the voltage swing using the balanced cable will make it more lively :p 

thanks so much

Regards
Chik

Feb 17, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #52 of 61
Running the 650HD in balanced is the only way, IMO, to bring them to life. The PB2 or the Intruder will do that and the Intruder has a built in dac to take the signal from your USB source.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #53 of 61
jamato8: How do you compare the HE-500 paired balance to the RSA SR-71B compared to the HE-500 paired to the Lyr?

I just got my balanced Sunset cable and it made a huge difference going SE to balanced with the SR-71B. I don't know what the power specs are for the SR-71B, but I do remember reading that to get the full power of this amp, you need to run it balanced. My ears wholeheartedly agree, even if my brain can't confirm the numbers.

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #54 of 61
Quote:
jamato8: How do you compare the HE-500 paired balance to the RSA SR-71B compared to the HE-500 paired to the Lyr?

I just got my balanced Sunset cable and it made a huge difference going SE to balanced with the SR-71B. I don't know what the power specs are for the SR-71B, but I do remember reading that to get the full power of this amp, you need to run it balanced. My ears wholeheartedly agree, even if my brain can't confirm the numbers.

They are different sounding but frankly, the 71b or the Intruder does so well with the HE500, I don't fire the Lyr up very often. Either balanced portable are like having a home amp.

May 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #58 of 61
someone asked for a powerful portable set up can 't go wrong with car amp lol. car amps generally outperform stand alone amps simply because of clean dc battery power and no need for ac dc transformer.

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #60 of 61
for iem's most powerful amp ive used is the RSA SR71-B (intruder spec upgrade) However my fav amp that i feel is more than powerful any iem is the ibasso p4 warbler 600mw+600mw into 32 ohms IMO its stupid powerful, i get more than enough voume at 8-9 o clock if i want to be deaf 11 o clock is more than loud, of course i am running it on + gain for opamp stability benifits ect. but imo for just a amp the p4 is stupid powerful.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back