Most popular IEMs today
Sep 15, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 19
the prices are averages. Too lazy to look up the exact prices. You do that yourself. 
tongue_smile.gif

- Brainwavz M1 $50
- Fischer Audio Eterna $65
- Etymotic MC5 $70
- Head Direct RE0 $80
- Hippo VB $80
- Panasonic HJE900 $120
- Radius DDM $150
- Fischer Audio DBA-02 $150
- Sennheiser IE8 $250
- Earsonics SM3 $350

- JH13/JH16 $1200/$1500
- JH-3A $a gazillion bucks

There are ofcourse way more great IEMs out there but these seem to be the most popular right now. Some of 'em are definitely FOTM though.

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 19
Totally agree on:

- Sennheiser IE8 $250
- Earsonics SM3 $350

How about the TripleFi 10s? I think they should be mentioned.

I heard RE0 have no bass...you need something with bass for music!

JH audio for customs...seen a lot of talk about them.

New custom from UE, the one in collaboration with Capitol Studios.

Shure SE535 perhaps?

I'd like to try the Etymotic MC5 and Fischer Audio DBA-02 and see what's so special about them for the budget. It's probably just an over hype though.

- Brainwavz M1 $50
- Fischer Audio Eterna $65
- Etymotic MC5 $70
- Head Direct RE0 $80
- Hippo VB $80
- Panasonic HJE900 $120
- Radius DDM $150
- Fischer Audio DBA-02 $150
- Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 $220-$250
- Sennheiser IE8 $250-$270
- Earsonics SM3 $350
- Shure SE535 $350

- JH13/JH16 $1200/$1500
- JH-3A $14-$1600
- Ultimate Ears Customs (Capitol Studios) $1k
- Ultimate Ears 18 Pro $1350

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 19
Good list. This is always a question I have when I return to Head-Fi and would appreciate knowing (current top 10 or 20 favourites) without doing the days of research.

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 19
That's exactly why I created this thread, so people can see the top list straight up instead of doing the bigger research and having multiple tabs opened.

Quote:
Good list. This is always a question I have when I return to Head-Fi and would appreciate knowing (current top 10 or 20 favourites) without doing the days of research.

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #9 of 19
Would just like to say that the HJE900s have been at under 100 for the past couple of weeks(was 78 till yesterday, currently 89).

I really don't feel like the Fischer DBAs are overhyped, from what I've read. It's related threads don't read like usual hype threads, at least not anymore. If you like a brighter, neutralish, but fun sound, they seem like a great option. There are people that don't like them, but usually because they just aren't fond of the general signature. The MC5 I'm not so sure of. I've heard none though so my word is basically null, lol.

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #10 of 19
I don't know why people degrade the TF10.

Yeah, people who say the price is totally jacked are correct, but what quality IEM isn't expensive? The SM3, W3, SE535 are all jacked up in prices. If I was looking at the SE535 and find it's $499, I'd rather spend that money on a custom.

I think the TF10 is definitely worth it. The price is jacked, yeah, well, just wait until it goes down on sale again usually on amazon.com and then get one. Definitely worth it, give it a chance. I think it's a perfect complement to the IE8 too since I own both.

I read that it once went down to $99 on amazon and people who got one were so happy, then when it went back up, the ones who missed out on it started to bash it just because it's 3x the price now and they don't want to pay that much just because it was once $99. That's no way to look at it. The TF10 is a quality IEM. It is different than others, but it does it's job in a classy way, remarkably.

I also want to give the W3 a try.
Quote:
Might as well put the Westone3 there if you're looking for a tf10. The extra money would be worth the better build quality alone.

Sep 15, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #11 of 19
I don't know if there is a rolling hype machine around the MC5's. I think they are similar value for money to the RE0's. That they are a good sound, great build quality for the price, and amazing isolation. It's a nice package with a transparent sound, but I would describe it as a revelation - people sound more enthusiastic about the DBA's for instance. 

The DDM's are a bit hyped, but in my opinion its because the emotive power they have on some particular tracks is particularly mindblowing. They are not for everyone, and are best compared to other options that are several times their price for people who are after a rich warm sound. I can tell you that switching between the MC5's and the DDM's is a particularly jarring experience, yet after a while I appreciate the DDM's incredible competency in bass extension, texture and transparency as much as the MC5's equivalent treble clarity and transparency. It's like drinking a glass of water after a cup of of rich warm hot chocolate. Both are great experiences haha.

Sep 15, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #12 of 19
No one's degrading the tf10 at all, you're the one getting defensive about it then interpreting it that way.

A complimentary headphone should support another's weaknesses. The tf10 has almost the same bass as the ie8, and that's saying something for a BA phone.
Good combos could be the mid centric se535 and the slightly recessed mids W3, bassy and fun MTPC/IE8 with the cold analytical CK100. Putting the IE8 and tf10 together is asking for a whole lotta hurt, with that concussive bass and the poor fit/cables.
I like their sound but I've never heard the W3 so I don't know if it's good in comparison, since I hear their sound is in direct competition. I also agree with what earphone solutions says about them. http://www.earphonesolutions.com/uleanewtrxtr.html Would not use in a place where I have to move, or for more than 15 minutes.

Sep 15, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #13 of 19
It's just the way I felt the tone of people's word about them in various threads.

I'm not angry or trying to take a rough tone in anyway, sorry if you felt I was! I love you guys!

After all, everybody has a different taste. There is no right and wrong to an IEM and there is certainly no perfect IEM; when I say that, I mean there is no perfect aspect of personal preference in one IEM. They're all different.

Quote:
No one's degrading the tf10 at all, you're the one getting defensive about it then interpreting it that way.

A complimentary headphone should support another's weaknesses. The tf10 has almost the same bass as the ie8, and that's saying something for a BA phone.
Good combos could be the mid centric se535 and the slightly recessed mids W3, bassy and fun MTPC/IE8 with the cold analytical CK100. Putting the IE8 and tf10 together is asking for a whole lotta hurt, with that concussive bass and the poor fit/cables.
I like their sound but I've never heard the W3 so I don't know if it's good in comparison, since I hear their sound is in direct competition. I also agree with what earphone solutions says about them. http://www.earphonesolutions.com/uleanewtrxtr.html Would not use in a place where I have to move, or for more than 15 minutes.

Sep 15, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #14 of 19
The MTPC's definitely have a lot of notoriety here.

I think the TF10s get bashed a little too much because many people have fit problems and never get to really enjoy them. In the end every IEM has its faults and I don't think the TF10's are any more apparent than other top tier universals.

Sep 16, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #15 of 19
Not just the fit, that's not the worst. The cable and crappy memory wire really makes it hard to use. I know part of it is because I have relatively small ears, but there's no excuse for the cable being crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back