Most overrated musicians?
Aug 21, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #121 of 216
Rolling Stones. Watered down blues, add some cheese, and you have a winner.

Aug 21, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #123 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg
Miles Davis.
plainface.gif
Way overrated, escpecially at head-fi.

What about him is overrated??
confused.gif

He only re-invented how jazz was looked upon and created the 'cool' genre.
rolleyes.gif
In later years, he and John McLaughlin made the first ever "Jazz Fusion" album. He's one of the best improvisers to ever live, and one of the best jazz trumpeters (other than Louis Armstrong) to ever live. Yeah, he must be worthless.
rolleyes.gif

Others who are absolutely NOT overrated:

Beethoven
The Beatles - They're only praised for what they did, never called the 'best ever' so there's nothing to over-rate them on!
Tom Waits
Jimi Hendrix - Re-invented electric guitar technique and inspired the unlimited amount of sound ranges that can now come out of it.
John Cage - Jump-started the post-modern movement for heaven's sake!
Neil Young - You ever heard his soundtrack to "Dead Man"?

My overrated artists include:

`U2 (Needs no explanation)
`The Who (Overrated musicians in every category, and an obnoxious singer with poor lyrical skills - "Rain On Me" particularly sucks)
`Bruce Springsteen (really only in regards to his new music, but he's also a total *****hole when he plays live)
`Rush (The band really only is a living stereotype of every decade they played during... some of the cheesiest prog music to ever exist, and Neil Pert is NOT the best drummer in the world, contrary to popular belief)
`Eric Clapton (Sure, he played with Cream, which is an amazing band, but, as others have stated, he is not a guitar god whatsoever)
`Radiohead (They never did anything innovative. Everything they did was invented years before them by drone musicians such as Boris. Their albums are incredibly over-produced and coated in a supremely crap-tastic layer of synths and computer-effects)

Additionally, not one genre 100% sucks. Be a little mature, guys. The Scene Is Now - a perfectly good punk group with amazing musical talent and immense creativity. Naked City - A thrash metal band. One of the best to ever exist, and with some of the best jazz musicians alive! Classical music... sheesh, it hasn't stopped innovating, contrary to popular belief. It has made incredible leaps forward - orchestral and chamber music are both making huge strides in their fields. Listen to Arvo Part's "Lamentante" if you don't believe me.

Aug 21, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #124 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo
Seriously. What's this guy's deal? Also, I'm not positive I can refer to him as a "musician".
rolleyes.gif

He's a producer, and producers are becomg musicians more than ever. He's not the best producer in the world, but he certainly knows what he's doing.

Aug 21, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #126 of 216
Quote:

`The Who (Overrated musicians in every category, and an abnoxious singer with poor lyrical skills - "Rain On Me" particularly sucks)

The singer does not write the lyrics or the songs, Pete Townshend does. The song is "Love Reign O'er Me". And it's "obnoxious".

Aug 21, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #127 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
The singer does not write the lyrics or the songs, Pete Townshend does. The song is "Love Reign O'er Me". And it's "obnoxious".

Holy moly!
biggrin.gif

I don't think I've ever been corrected by somebody that many times in a row. You must be worthy of some highly moral stuff.
tongue.gif

The first two points I can be excused for, but the third I am just purely embarassed about.

Thanks again, you... you...
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Still, admit it. That song sucks. Some very lame lyrics... especially the "Oh God, I need a drink" line. I hate it when lyricists can't think of anything meaningful that rhymes with the previous verse, so they just put in something completely random and unimportant in its place so that the last word rhymes with the previous...

Aug 21, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #129 of 216
A thread like this is always going to get people (like me) steamed up. In short, artists that I do *not* think are overrated: U2, the Who, Hendrix, Miles Davis, the Rolling Stones, the Clash, the Beatles.

I also do not think Clapton is overrated. In fact, on all of the music and guitar forums I frequent, he is so often called overrated that he is now underrated. Ever listen to his record with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, where he invented the Les Paul/Marshall sound with incredible tone, feeling and phrasing? Cream? Derek and the Dominoes? I know he hasn't done much since then, but that's enough.

And whoever thinks Paul McCartney is overrated *as a bass player* is off their rocker in my opinion.

As far as Elvis Presley, I am also not particularly a fan, but to appreciate his influence I really think you had to be around when he came out (I wasn't either). Bands like the Beatles and Zeppelin worshiped him.

My vote for overrated: Pink Floyd. I do not think they belong in the "pantheon" of greatest rock bands with the likes of the Beatles, Stones, Who and Zeppelin.

Aug 21, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #131 of 216
The Beatles,
Rolling Stones,
Frank Zappa,
Elvis...

Is curious how a great band with great musicians, like Pink Floyd, or Dream Theater, or maybe Rush, get bashed by the same people that step to talk in favor about those jokes above...definitelly Neil Peart is not the best drummer in the world, of course, but what about Ringo, nor Watts, those guys simply suck, and period...

Aug 22, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #132 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
The Beatles,
Rolling Stones,
Frank Zappa,
Elvis...

Is curious how a great band with great musicians, like Pink Floyd, or Dream Theater, or maybe Rush, get bashed by the same people that step to talk in favor about those jokes above...definitelly Neil Peart is not the best drummer in the world, of course, but what about Ringo, nor Watts, those guys simply suck, and period...

Different tastes. Its amazing how much people defend bands, and simply dont realize that people have different tastes.

Anyway, this thread isnt even about how good you are at a instrument, its how good you are as a band. If you judge your music by the skill of how someone plays their instrument and not by the music they create with it then you're listening for the wrong things. Like this for example: I think Dream Theater is a terrible and over rated band but Neil Peart is at least a above average drummer. In the same way as no one in the Beatles was amazing at their instruments but together they created wonderful music.

Aug 22, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #133 of 216
The difficulty that I have with this sort of topic is defining how good a musician is. I tend to go along the lines of technical ability, because that's easier to compare objectively than comparing how melodic or "good" sounding their music is. There are plenty of absolutely incredibly talented musicians that I dislike because I don't like the music that they create. Does this make them bad musicians? No. The music does not appeal to me, but they are still phenominal performers that deserve respect. Music itself is soooo subjective that it's nearly impossible to make qualitative, and in some ways especially quantitative, comparisons. I try to just listen to the music I like, and not worry about how technical it is. Of course, I do enjoy technicaly proficient playing, but it's not a requirement in my book for good music.

/Ramble

Aug 22, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #135 of 216
This thread is an easy and quick way to discern who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't. We could have two threads "The Greatest" and "Overrated" and the exact same names would be in both.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back