Most overrated musicians?
Sep 23, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #151 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
Let's see how many people I can irritate with my personal opinion:

Jimi Hendrix

Have fun flaming, I hath spoken
biggrin.gif

OK, now you've crossed the line. Even Miles Davis wanted to work with him before he died.
mad.gif

Sep 23, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #153 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by freeflier
Virtually anything that is popular with the mainstream (with a few very rare exceptions). The masses are invariably attracted to dumbed down commercialized garbage.

Boy, I bet this guy is fun at parties.
wink.gif
At lease he/she would get great debate going with huge, I mean HUGE sweeping statments like that.

Sep 24, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #154 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
Boy, I bet this guy is fun at parties.
wink.gif
At lease he/she would get great debate going with huge, I mean HUGE sweeping statments like that.

My comments only annoy the "masses".
biggrin.gif

Ps When it comes to movies, I can tell what not to see simply by looking at the top ten most popular. The movies generally get stupider as you move up the list.

Sep 24, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #156 of 216
Quote:

The movies generally get stupider as you move up the list.

ironing-center.jpg
?

I think yes

But my opinion for overrated musicians would have to be Dave Matthews, most metal guitarists, and all of O.A.R.

Sep 24, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #158 of 216
I like all of the following artists, and do listen to them, but they are all overrated in some capacity. I wont post artists I dont like who I think are overrated, because thats fundamentally unfair.

Kraftwerk

Less so

Jean-Michel Jarre

Less so

Vangelis

Sep 24, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #160 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Wow, people have some horrible taste in music, seriously The Who overated
confused.gif

Yes, that's right. The Who is overrated. Any "rock god" is overrated. The Who especially, because they contained the musicianship skills of high school students and a pseudo-emotional singer. Not to mention the improperly-pretentious songs towards the end of their career.

Keith Moon was sloppy as hell, and, come on, anybody who had no sense of dynamics would sound "powerful", as some describe him. I shiver each time I see him on some "enlightened" 14 year old's list as "best drummer ever".

I'm not going to lie and say that I don't enjoy some Who songs. When they did what they did best, it yielded good results. "My Generation", "Magic Bus", "Pinball Wizard", and other similarly-themed music from them is actually quite enjoyable. The Who was particularly adept at writing semi-serious, fun music. They were NOT a band overflowing with emotion, however, and this is where they are overrated. They did not play instrumentally virtuous music; they did not play dramatic, emotional music; they did not write music with any amount of sophistication. There were countless bands around during their time that achieved a much higher level of thse characteristics than The Who. The Who is only recognized as having these "strengths" because no other Top 40 band back then had that "style". But their entire career is basically summed up as the Jewish white kid who dresses like he's 50-Cent's cousin. It just didn't match at all.

I am not personally attacking anybody for liking The Who. I respect your decision to enjoy The Who. Hell, I enjoy The Who at times. But I think that, considering the influences they're cited for having achieved, there's little room for argument that they're one of the most overrated bands of their time.

A funny statement that you call my tastes "horrible". Considering music is not only my passion in life, but also my career and field of study, and considering that I own over 4000 recordings of music I truly love scaling all sorts of genres imaginable (that includes The Who albums!), I find this claim slightly out of order. Unless, of course, and not to name drop, you own as many Anthony Braxton releases, and as many pre-war Blues recordings, as me. I'm not going to say that my music taste is better than anybody else's, because that's opinion-based, but I will make the claim that, most likely, my tastes are far more varied, ecclectic, progressive, and wide-spanning than yours. After all, how could you have made the quoted claim above otherwise?

Sep 24, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #161 of 216
Watching Austin City Limits I was just reminded of one big time overrated "superstar"...Elvis Costello. One or two tunes I can stand, the rest are seriously annoying. I''m talking about the MUSIC now, not the lyrics. Lyrics are secondary to music (IMHO) unless of course I'm at a poetry reading.

Sep 24, 2006 at 12:46 PM Post #162 of 216
Quote:

Watching Austin City Limits I was just reminded of one big time overrated "superstar"...Elvis Costello. One or two tunes I can stand, the rest are seriously annoying. I''m talking about the MUSIC now, not the lyrics. Lyrics are secondary to music (IMHO) unless of course I'm at a poetry reading.

normally, i adhere to the mantra "it's all a matter of personal taste."

but in this case, i have to say... you're just wrong.

evil_smiley.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #163 of 216
Quote:

Lyrics are secondary to music (IMHO) unless of course I'm at a poetry reading.

I would definitely argue against this. A vocalist is a musician just like the guitar player is. Would you listen to a guitar player who had good tone and emotion, but whose rhythms were just bland or boring? Lyrics keep together the vocals - they organize the vocals. Just like how the rhythm compliments the melody or chord structuring of a song, the lyrics compliment the singer's voice. Any good singer could just sing tones, and beautifully at that, but the best vocalists (in the popular music world) are able to craft lyrics that not only compliment their vocals, but also bring them further.

To make the claim that you made, you'd be lowering the standards of the role of a vocalist. Vocalists are just as much musicians as the next.

Sep 24, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #164 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
But you have to admit, 'ol slowhand's better than Jimmie Vaughan. I watched that tribute to SRV and poor Jimmie was getting smoked left and right. I actually cringed when BB King was trying to swap licks with Jimmie. Let's just say the apple does fall far from the tree in some cases.

But then again, Jimmie was never overrated - he fit in perfectly in his Fabulous Thunderbirds niche.

I feel sorry for Jimmie.... He will always be known as the other guys little brother. Kind of like Patrick McEnroe.

Sep 24, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #165 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
To make the claim that you made, you'd be lowering the standards of the role of a vocalist.

Coming from a Mike Patton fan, I find that statement amusing. Either way, it isn't necessarily true at all.

To me, vocals are more of a musical instrument than a poetic one. I don't listen to the lyrics as much as I do the voice.. in fact, I don't even know the lyrics to 90% of the music I own. However, I'm not downing the role of a vocalist; a vocalist just has a different role in the music for me than for somebody who might, for example, put more value in the lyrical aspect.

Elizabeth Fraser from the Cocteau Twins is one of my favorite vocalists, and I can never understand what the heck it is she's singing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back