Most overrated musicians?
Aug 22, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #136 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
This thread is an easy and quick way to discern who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't. We could have two threads "The Greatest" and "Overrated" and the exact same names would be in both.

See ya
Steve

This is so true. Let me add mine to the list.

Kenny G
Yanni
Andrea Bocelli
Michael learns to rock
Britney spears
Justin Timberlake

Aug 22, 2006 at 9:02 AM Post #137 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjjp2
My vote for overrated: Pink Floyd. I do not think they belong in the "pantheon" of greatest rock bands with the likes of the Beatles, Stones, Who and Zeppelin.

Thats funny because I have the exact opposite opinion. Pink Floyd is the only classic rock band I can really listen too without skipping tracks. I have come to appreciate The Beatles after years of not getting them, but IMO the Stones, The Who(Tommy? hahaha), and Zeppelin aren't that great. I know Zeppelin is really influencial but their music bores me to tears.

Pink Floyd IS rock to me.

Aug 22, 2006 at 12:12 PM Post #138 of 216
Quote:

Kenny G
Yanni
Andrea Bocelli
Michael learns to rock
Britney spears
Justin Timberlake

I think some people mis-understand what "over-rated" means. There's "popular", and then there's "over-rated". In order to be over-rated you have to be *rated* by someone first (i.e. generally held by people with discerning tatses or at least a modicum of musical knowledge to have true artistic merit, generally as proven over many years). No one, not even her teenage fans would say Britney is a great "artist". Same for the rest on the list. It think this thread is about tipping sacred cows (Beatles, Stones, etc.), not taking shots at easy targets like that list.

Aug 22, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #139 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
top 5 overrated bands

1. Dave Matthews Band
2. Dave Matthews Band
3. Dave Matthews Band
4. Dave Matthews Band
5. Dave Matthews Band

i agree with all of your picks, except #3.

Aug 23, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #140 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
I think some people mis-understand what "over-rated" means. There's "popular", and then there's "over-rated". In order to be over-rated you have to be *rated* by someone first (i.e. generally held by people with discerning tatses or at least a modicum of musical knowledge to have true artistic merit, generally as proven over many years). No one, not even her teenage fans would say Britney is a great "artist". Same for the rest on the list. It think this thread is about tipping sacred cows (Beatles, Stones, etc.), not taking shots at easy targets like that list.

I think the thread has evolved into one you're describing but if you look at the original post, then Britney fits in.

Aug 23, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #141 of 216
Quote:

The singer does not write the lyrics or the songs, Pete Townshend does. The song is "Love Reign O'er Me". And it's "obnoxious".

Quadrophenia was an album that I connected with on a very personal level as a teen, and I still listen to it very regularly for a stroll down memory lane. It tells the story of teenage angst, rebellion, paranoia, the desire to belong--- conflicts with parents, drugs, and society better than any other album I know. It is timeless, although the street lingo employed by modern day couterparts of "mods" and "rockers" have of course continued to evolve.

Quadrophenia is one of those albums that is best listened to as a whole work, not a series of "songs." It also happens to sound extremely good through headphones. The 1996 MCA release, at least, has real dynamic range (I don't know about other releases on CD). I am able to experience the thrills and frustrations of youth when I listen to Quadrophenia.

Sure, Townsend forces lyrics to achieve a rhyme now and again. Still, if you listen to the full story on a macro level, it's a very good one, at least to me.

As to "Love, Reign O'er Me," it's just a part of the story. An important part. Thematically, water (rain; the sea) run throughout the story. I will grant you that Daltry probably blew out his spleen screaming on "Love," but it helps bring the emotional tension to the desired climax.

So, in sum, I respectfully disagree--completely.

That said, my interest in the music of "The Who" has not withstood the test of time--with the exception of Quadrophenia. (They did put on one hella-good live show when I saw them in concert back in the early '80's though).

Aug 23, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #142 of 216
Hey, I'm not the one saying the Who suck. They are in my top 10 favorite bands of all-time.

Quote:

The 1996 MCA release, at least, has real dynamic range (I don't know about other releases on CD).

Be aware that all those '96 remasters are also remixed from the original multi-tracks. This is upsetting to many. I do like the sound of the '96 Ludwig-mastered version, but you need to get your hands on a copy of the original Japan-pressed version from the mid-80's on MCA. Original mix, sounds great. Need to compare it to the MFSL to see which I prefer but it's close.

Aug 23, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #143 of 216
Quote:

Be aware that all those '96 remasters are also remixed from the original multi-tracks. This is upsetting to many. I do like the sound of the '96 Ludwig-mastered version, but you need to get your hands on a copy of the original Japan-pressed version from the mid-80's on MCA. Original mix, sounds great. Need to compare it to the MFSL to see which I prefer but it's close.

Thanks for the tip! The search shall begin...
eggosmile.gif

Sep 5, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #144 of 216
Ithzak Perlman. To the point of hate. I've been to one of his concerts, and it was just absolutely horrendous. I wanted to chuck something at him. His techniques were unbearable to listen to and his song interpretations were extremely bland. But I feel as if writings can't express all the horror I experienced that day. I was positively disgusted.

Sep 5, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #145 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
What about him is overrated??
confused.gif

He only re-invented how jazz was looked upon and created the 'cool' genre.
rolleyes.gif
In later years, he and John McLaughlin made the first ever "Jazz Fusion" album. He's one of the best improvisers to ever live, and one of the best jazz trumpeters (other than Louis Armstrong) to ever live. Yeah, he must be worthless.
rolleyes.gif

Others who are absolutely NOT overrated:

Beethoven
The Beatles - They're only praised for what they did, never called the 'best ever' so there's nothing to over-rate them on!
Tom Waits
Jimi Hendrix - Re-invented electric guitar technique and inspired the unlimited amount of sound ranges that can now come out of it.
John Cage - Jump-started the post-modern movement for heaven's sake!
Neil Young - You ever heard his soundtrack to "Dead Man"?

My overrated artists include:

`U2 (Needs no explanation)
`The Who (Overrated musicians in every category, and an obnoxious singer with poor lyrical skills - "Rain On Me" particularly sucks)
`Bruce Springsteen (really only in regards to his new music, but he's also a total *****hole when he plays live)
`Rush (The band really only is a living stereotype of every decade they played during... some of the cheesiest prog music to ever exist, and Neil Pert is NOT the best drummer in the world, contrary to popular belief)
`Eric Clapton (Sure, he played with Cream, which is an amazing band, but, as others have stated, he is not a guitar god whatsoever)
`Radiohead (They never did anything innovative. Everything they did was invented years before them by drone musicians such as Boris. Their albums are incredibly over-produced and coated in a supremely crap-tastic layer of synths and computer-effects)

I like how if you think a band is overrated it is, but if you don't then it's ABSOLUTELY NOT underrated. And you're kidding yourself if you don't think that there are people who say the Beatles are the "best ever".

But seriously, The Who? Are you insane? John Entwistle completely changed the role of rock bass and had a huge part in the popularizing of Marshall amps and "the Marshall sound" (and also inspiring Pete Townshend to start using them as well). They have one of, if not the best rythm sections in rock history, with an explosive drummer who imo blows away any other rock drummer in sheer explosiveness and energy, and a singer who was one of the greatest of his kind. This is all in my opinion, but you clearly haven't heard much of The Who. If you don't like them that's fine, but don't put it forth as fact.

Sep 6, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #147 of 216
Apparently they encaspulate the angst of British teenagers everywhere who are pissed off at working in crappy part-time jobs who then subsequently go get mashed afterwards. Or someting to that effect

Users who are viewing this thread

Back