Most overrated musicians?
Jul 22, 2006 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 216

themanster

Head-Fier
In your own personal opinino, which are the most overrated musicians?

I would have to say Kenny G. I remember I read somewhere that the reason he holds his sax to the side (most people hold it straight infront) is because he thought it looked better. I'm sure many musicians can't sleep at night, bitter and angry how such a person can go on to become richer than God.

Jul 22, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #4 of 216
Kurt Cobain
Thom Yorke
Maynard James Keenan
James LaBrie
Mike Portnoy

That'll unsettle some people I know
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 22, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 216
Chris Martin

Jul 22, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #9 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose
Seconded.

I will listen to Coldplay though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #10 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by themanster
(most people hold it straight infront)

Most people play tenor/alto/bari sax on their side. I think Kenny G usually plays soprano though. But I totally argree with Kenny G being a prick.

Jimmy page gets my vote.

Jul 22, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #11 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheProdigy
Most people play tenor/alto/bari sax on their side. I think Kenny G usually plays soprano though. But I totally argree with Kenny G being a prick.

Jimmy page gets my vote.

Actually, Tenor and Bari are usually on the side, alto is usually straight infront along with soprano, but the real point of this post is, as a saxophonist, I can't stand that guy. He was the first to use circular breaking as a trick as in "hey look what I can do! Nevermind many before me were able to do it." Ugh. I can barely stand calling him a musician.

Jul 22, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #12 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir
Actually, Tenor and Bari are usually on the side, alto is usually straight infront along with soprano, but the real point of this post is, as a saxophonist, I can't stand that guy. He was the first to use circular breaking as a trick as in "hey look what I can do! Nevermind many before me were able to do it." Ugh. I can barely stand calling him a musician.

I don't think most musicians take him seriously. Lonely housewives on the other hand....

Jul 22, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #13 of 216
Sad to say, most pop music is hopelessly overrated by its very nature. The only music that isn't overrated is that which survives its sales/fashion/pop-culture-trend hype and withstands the test of time.

For example, the Beatles were apparently not overrated, because we are still listening to them. The next hundred years will settle the question.

Now if you want to use musical talent or substance (as some of you appear to be doing) as a standard for what is overrated, that's a different discussion. By that standard, Mike Portnoy is not overrated - he's rightly considered to be a prog metal drummer with solid chops.

If what you are really asking is: "Who sucks, that other people seem to love?", then I say, taste is subjective.

Jul 22, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #14 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis

Now if you want to use musical talent or substance (as some of you appear to be doing) as a standard for what is overrated, that's a different discussion. .

Why is it a different discussion? There's the question.

Ian

Jul 22, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #15 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10

Why is it a different discussion? There's the question.

Ian

You're right - I thought the question was about most overrated "music". So, it is about chops, then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back