Most Grado like Closed Headphone: forward midrange
Dec 4, 2009 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

sling5s

Headphoneus Supremus
Any Grado like closed headphones with very forward midrange.
Price range is $200. Something in the ah-d2000 price range.

thanks

Dec 4, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #3 of 17
In that price range nothing. To be honest, you won't get anything like a Grado that isn't a Grado, whether it be open or closed. That signature sound just isn't reproduced anywhere else, because it's such a love it or hate it kind of thing.

Heavily modded Denon D series can have fairly forward mids but it's not Grado.

Dec 4, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #4 of 17
You can find closed phones with forward mid-range easily.
For example, Sennheiser HD-25 series.
There's a reason you can see them all over ESPN broadcast team.
They bring you forward vioces while gives you isolation which makes the voice more clear.

Are they Grado like? Absolutely not.
Except for 1000 series, the Grados give you a front roll sound.
They don't end the sound definitely, just like how you feel in the front roll in the large concert hall.
The sound is actually flying though you without much reverberation.
Closed phones can match the front roll sound clarity and intimacy, but the closed-back design gives a better closure of the sound and reverberation.
Therefore, they will not sounds like Grado.
They either give you concert hall smaller than it should be, or a back-roll seat feeling.

Dec 4, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #5 of 17
I think the Ultrasones HFI-780 are quite forward sounding. They sound quite similar to open headphones, compared to other closed headphones that I have tried. The bass is definitely more closed sounding, but I find the mids and highs to be very upfront.

I enjoy my Grado's and think the HFI-780s are a good closed alternative.

May 26, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #10 of 17
Esw9 sound like Grado with flats. Maybe not with bowls so much. With bowls that would be the ESW10.

May 26, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #11 of 17
Grado like mids?
I'm going to ignore your price and post anyway.

The Koss Pro DJ100's driver reminds of the an improved SR-80 driver, but without the fatiguing highs and with more bass. Not excessive mid-bass. Also less grainy than the SR-80.

I have a feeling that the driver of the DJ100 comes from the same manufacturer as the SR-80 driver. No, not Grado silly. I don't think Grado really makes their own drivers and I could have sworn they all came from Taiwan.

The DJ100 and SR-80 drivers look so extremely similar, but this means nothing. Same plastic housing around the driver, same size, same amount of vent holes and everything. You can take the DJ100 driver and put it into an SR-80.

So, I'm going to say the koss Pro DJ100. It takes the Grado mids I like and makes gives it a better signature. IMO though even a modded SR-80 can't compete with the DJ100, but I haven't tried swapping out the shells yet.

Of course the DJ100 will never have the treble of a Grado. With the Dj100 you sacrifice a little treble for more bass.

Like the SR-80, the DJ100 can benefit from a good amp.

I was hoping someday to find another headphone with the DJ100 driver, but I don't think it exists. It sure would be nice.

May 26, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
How are the Koss dj100 with rock? Do they have the same attack?

I really like the Pro DJ 100 with rock music(specifically alternative), the forward mid really make rock music sound great. However, I don't think the DJ 100 has the same aggressiveness and attack like that of the SR80(used to have one). That might have to do with the highs, but I can't be sure.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back