Most comfortable headphones you've tried? (looking to replace my HP890s)
Oct 29, 2010 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Promotype

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

This is my first post here.  I've been lurking for a while, reading lots of reviews and user comments, but my main concern, comfort mostly unanswered.

The past 10 years I've been a very satisfied user of the infamous Philips SBC HP890, but as with many, the plastic has broken on me so many times that next time it does, they may be beyond repair.  So it's time for me to start looking for a worthy replacement.  Ideally I would go out and test other cans, but it seems most stores over here wont even unbox them for you anymore..

My main concern is comfort.  I can keep these cans on for an entire night and not feel a thing afterwards.  I think this is mainly due to the silkyness of the velours earpads, the soft non-firm filling, and the huge cans (my ears are not crammed in as with other cans).  Soundwise of course I want something thats at least as good.  Bass-heavy, neutrality or colored sound is not really an issue, I just want them to be a pleasure to listen to.  I have Spirit Absolute 4P reference monitors when I need neutrality.

Probably some of you have loved the comfort of the HP890 before and moved on already, so tell me what you think!

thanks a lot in advance

Oct 29, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #2 of 10
What's your budget and have you looked at the Beyers? They, too, have some nice velour pads.

Oct 29, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 10
Depending on the sound you are looking for, my recommendation for the most comfortable cans would be Beyers (model is dependent on ur amping capacity and sound sig requirements) and Denon (D2000 and D5000 fall within your budget)

Oct 29, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 10
AD700 has been the king of comfort for me -- for a very, very long time.

I tried to surpass it. I tried the DT880, K701, and A700 just to name some of the most renown headphones for comfort.

Unfortunately, none of those came close to the AD700 in terms of sheer comfort.

Luckily for me, my new D2000 probably comes the closest -- although still nowhere near...

Oct 29, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks, I checked the denons but they have leather, a definite nono for me.. they tend to get sweaty on me.  The beyers and AD700 do look pretty nice, the AD700 even looks a bit like its made from the same mold as the hp890!

As for the AKG's, if they 701's are similar to the K242 HD then I totally agree.  I just returned those, they didn't even come close to the HP890's, the fabric was not rather rough and the filling was firm, both feeling kind of low-quality...

Im debating whether I should just shell out for a HD650...or look out on ebay and buy a couple of HP890's as backup
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #7 of 10
The headphones I've found most comfortable are the AKG K-1000 and K-501, Beyerdynamic DT880, Sennheiser HD-800, Sony MDR-SA5000, and (preparing for slings and arrows) the Grado RS-1.

Oct 29, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 10
Definitely look at Beyers. They're well known for comfort, and right in your budget.

They don't sound too bad, either. 
beyersmile.png

Oct 30, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for the suggestions, on a sidenote though:  Can you compare the HD580 600 650 in terms of comfort?

I recollect trying on the 580's once and that they were comfortable...

Oct 30, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 10
The most comfortable cans I've owned in order:

Audio Technica AD2000: 9.5/10   The drivers ended up touching my ears causing discomfort but I adjusted them so my ears were just off the driver.
Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium: 9.3/10  Incredibly comfy. Good weight distribution across the headband and light clamping.
Denon D2000: 9.3/10   Great weight distribution though can feel a little heavy on the head. The pads lightly touch the sides of the head.
Sennheiser HD650: 9.0/10  I've only had them a short time but haven't really had any comfort issues so far. I'm sure I'll find something though.
AKG K701: 8.7/10    Extremely comfortable except the bumps in the headband began to dig into my head after a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back