Most bass quantity and impact EVER ?
Jul 23, 2011 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Parall3l

lƐllɐɹɐԀ
Before you read this thread, I simply want to know what the most bassy headphone is, regardless of the prize range.

I tried doing a search but no relevant results came up, so I'll make a thread and ask anybody out there who cares. Which headphone has the most bass quantity and impact? 
L3000.gif
 Prize is not of concern but it would make me happy if it was below the $300 mark. (VERY happy in fact) Because I simply just want to know what that headphone is, purchasing is not going to happen anytime soon. 

Thanks in advance
darthsmile.gif

PS: please don't bring up speakers because I know headphones are not capable of punching me in the chest with bass.

Jul 23, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
Heya,

Save your money, get the XB500, and EQ it to take your quantity as far as you can stand.

Since all you want is quantity, then you do not need to spend much more than $50.

Very best,

I should have made this clearer in the first post, I'm not trying to BUY the most bassy headphone but I want to KNOW what that headphone is, thanks for helping anyways 
atsmile.gif

Jul 23, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 11
Do you want quantity and impact or do you want accurate bass where it is precise and you can distinguish between the notes?

Because if all you want is a lot of bass noise, there are several models that do that. Unfortunately, you won't be able to tell the difference in pitch between notes, the notes will blend together into generic thumps, and you'll be lucky to get any clarity out of mids, vocals and highs. On the other hand, you can have bass without the thud, but you'll be able to hear fingers on a plucked bass and the mids, vocals, and highs will come through nicely.

There's been a longstanding argument here about what "good" bass actually is. I'm on the side that wants precision and definition. If a singer or cymbals are drowned out by imprecise bass, I find the headphones unlistenable.

Jul 23, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #5 of 11
Sony XB500 period. The very unknown JVC HA-M5X has very similar amount of bass (quantity and impact-wise) but XB500 is better sounding of the two (less recessed highs and without an annoying peak in the lower-mids making the JVC sound a bit like an old radio) with also a lot better comfort for only $10 more. These headphones have very great bass extension as well so if you play very low bass notes that you can't hear, you'll still be able to feel them tickling your ears. Yes they might not be able to give a body tickling experience like a sub but your ears on the other hand...

Also the Audio Technica PRO700MK2 should be reasonably close OR MIGHT even surpass the XB500 with the right pads, the stock ones won't do.

Jul 23, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #6 of 11
Audeze LCD-2 with EQ? The quality of the bass is stupendous and considering its power handling capacities, you could add a +10 dB without risking to break them.

Jul 23, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #8 of 11
Ultrasones or Darth Beyers. 
darthsmile.gif

Jul 23, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #9 of 11
Thanks for all the replies guys.
darthsmile.gif
, seems like the sony XB500 has the most bass, I'll definitely try them out later, I have a pair of ultrasones shipping to  me right now and will arrive in about 10 days or so, I'll compare my ultrasones with the pro700mkii and xb500 once i get them.

Jul 23, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies guys.
darthsmile.gif
, seems like the sony XB500 has the most bass, I'll definitely try them out later, I have a pair of ultrasones shipping to  me right now and will arrive in about 10 days or so, I'll compare my ultrasones with the pro700mkii and xb500 once i get them.

That's a really interesting comparision, looking forward to that!

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
Do you want quantity and impact or do you want accurate bass where it is precise and you can distinguish between the notes?

Because if all you want is a lot of bass noise, there are several models that do that. Unfortunately, you won't be able to tell the difference in pitch between notes, the notes will blend together into generic thumps, and you'll be lucky to get any clarity out of mids, vocals and highs. On the other hand, you can have bass without the thud, but you'll be able to hear fingers on a plucked bass and the mids, vocals, and highs will come through nicely.

There's been a longstanding argument here about what "good" bass actually is. I'm on the side that wants precision and definition. If a singer or cymbals are drowned out by imprecise bass, I find the headphones unlistenable.

I'm agree with you on this one... but the average basshead Joe want quantity and bass rumble at first.Takes years and sometimes even decades to put the bass addiction in balanced with the rest of the sounds spectrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back