More Fiio X3 64GB MicroSD Issues!
Nov 26, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #91 of 181
Finally I received my 64gb Samsung microSD Card.

As reported, is not possible to format it to FAT32 via Windows.
I used guiformat, just selected the quickformat option.

So far no problem at all, the card shows 58.5gb total both on the computer and on the X3.
At the moment I don't have many files in the card, about 14gb on FLAC music.
I will put a lot of mp3 files tomorrow and comment on my experience.

Nov 28, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #92 of 181
  Finally I received my 64gb Samsung microSD Card.

As reported, is not possible to format it to FAT32 via Windows.
I used guiformat, just selected the quickformat option.

So far no problem at all, the card shows 58.5gb total both on the computer and on the X3.
At the moment I don't have many files in the card, about 14gb on FLAC music.
I will put a lot of mp3 files tomorrow and comment on my experience.

Hi reihead!

Can I ask you which particular Sansung microSD Card model you actually got? I've just ordered an X3 and from what I've been reading around, a lot of peoples seems to have problems with their 64GB SD cards. I am thinking of ordering this model here : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147246

And that brings me to another question. Do I need the adapter that comes with it so that it fits in the X3? 

I will be sure to post my experiences with this particular microSD card if I decide to get this one. 

If anyone has any recommendations for an SD car, please post 'em! Reading around about such topic gets pretty overwhelming! There is so much infos and such in topics all over the place.

Thanks! 

Nov 28, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #93 of 181
  Hi reihead!

Can I ask you which particular Sansung microSD Card model you actually got? I've just ordered an X3 and from what I've been reading around, a lot of peoples seems to have problems with their 64GB SD cards. I am thinking of ordering this model here : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147246

And that brings me to another question. Do I need the adapter that comes with it so that it fits in the X3? 

I will be sure to post my experiences with this particular microSD card if I decide to get this one. 

If anyone has any recommendations for an SD car, please post 'em! Reading around about such topic gets pretty overwhelming! There is so much infos and such in topics all over the place.

Thanks! 

I this that the same I got, http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009HPFUGI/ref=pe_186441_41886821_em_1p_0_ti

You won't need the adapter to fit the card in the X3. However, the adaptor is handy to use the card on a pc. This is a fast card, it can write up to 20mb/s, if you use the adapter and put the card on a pc most likely you will get this speed, if you connect the X3 with the card in it you will get max 5mb/s since that's the speed the X3 can handle.

Cheers

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #94 of 181
I now downloaded the latest firmware version 2.1 which includes a format option right on the X3 .... The unit seems to now work ok but only with a 32 Gb sd card. It still has the original problem I have originally been reporting all along. I hope they resolve this soon. I only have a few days left to return this unit......

Nov 29, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #95 of 181
I now downloaded the latest firmware version 2.1 which includes a format option right on the X3 .... The unit seems to now work ok but only with a 32 Gb sd card. It still has the original problem I have originally been reporting all along. I hope they resolve this soon. I only have a few days left to return this unit......

To be fair to Fiio, this is FUD. Very few of the 1,000s of users of the X3 have not succeeded in getting it to work with 64GB cards of those who have tried, and I don't think anyone else has failed with 32GB or less as those work out of the box. It has to be admitted that it isn't necessarily straight-forward getting 64GB cards to work the first time, but it's easy once you know how. I tried to help this individual when (s)he first posted but got a bit of attitude back so I'm guessing that (s)he has had less help from the forum than most people could expect. Don't let this particular post put you off getting an X3.

Nov 29, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #96 of 181

I this that the same I got, http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009HPFUGI/ref=pe_186441_41886821_em_1p_0_ti

You won't need the adapter to fit the card in the X3. However, the adaptor is handy to use the card on a pc. This is a fast card, it can write up to 20mb/s, if you use the adapter and put the card on a pc most likely you will get this speed, if you connect the X3 with the card in it you will get max 5mb/s since that's the speed the X3 can handle.

Cheers

Thanks a lot for your reply reihead! Really appreciated! I ordered the Samsung SD card and can't wait to receive my X3 and my VMODAs M100 :)

Nov 29, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #97 of 181
In response to tjw 321.
I have actually had a lot of help from this forum ... at least the affirmation that this is a 32 GB max player and not 64 Gb player as advertised. Yes, it is a great sounding player.. But does it sound or operate $165 better than the $35 Sansa clip player? Only the owner can decide....
The FIIO people indicated initially that the issue was in the card formatting and they seem to have resolved that by including a formatter in the latest firmware download. They also indicate that the 64Gb issue might be in the quality of the SDHC cards used.

It would be nice if FIIO would actually test and recommend which 64 GB cards do work...... I just hate being a beta tester for free.....

On the plus side it does appear that the FIIO people are actively addressing the issues as the are discovered.
I am actively loading my music collection on to relatively inexpensive SanDisk 32 Gb SDHC cards that work with the Sansa and the X3.

Now here is a concept... how about internal memory in the hundreds of gig size....Now that would be a player......

Enjoy the music...

Nov 29, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #98 of 181
In response to tjw 321.
I have actually had a lot of help from this forum ... at least the affirmation that this is a 32 GB max player and not 64 Gb player as advertised. Yes, it is a great sounding player.. But does it sound or operate $165 better than the $35 Sansa clip player? Only the owner can decide....
The FIIO people indicated initially that the issue was in the card formatting and they seem to have resolved that by including a formatter in the latest firmware download. They also indicate that the 64Gb issue might be in the quality of the SDHC cards used.

It would be nice if FIIO would actually test and recommend which 64 GB cards do work...... I just hate being a beta tester for free.....

On the plus side it does appear that the FIIO people are actively addressing the issues as the are discovered.
I am actively loading my music collection on to relatively inexpensive SanDisk 32 Gb SDHC cards that work with the Sansa and the X3.

Now here is a concept... how about internal memory in the hundreds of gig size....Now that would be a player......

Enjoy the music...

Hello atwaterkent,

We posted a response to your issues when you posted about this in the other thread. Did you see it?

Thanks.
Best regards,
Joseph Yeung
Customer Service Representative
FiiO

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 30, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #99 of 181
Hello atwaterkent,

We posted a response to your issues when you posted about this in the other thread. Did you see it?

Thanks.
Best regards,
Joseph Yeung
Customer Service Representative
FiiO

If it is of any help: I use a couple of Sandisk Ultra 64g Class 10s that work very well in the X3.  I have experienced no problems at all, and both cards are full of FLAC files.

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #101 of 181
Just like the ones I have. I never had a problem with the player not recognizing them, I only had a problem with the player PROPERLY CREATING/REFRESHING THE LIBRARY!!!!

But that's me...

Dec 1, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #102 of 181
...well I don't use the library. My music is always structured in artist/album/track format and I tend to listen to albums rather than songs, so the library is off.
It's been this way since firmware 2.05 when gapless has worked from the folder view.

Dec 2, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #103 of 181
Just like the ones I have. I never had a problem with the player not recognizing them, I only had a problem with the player PROPERLY CREATING/REFRESHING THE LIBRARY!!!!

But that's me...

I also have this problem with the X3.  The library just does not refresh properly either manually or automatically.  There is much work for FiiO to do there.

Dec 3, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #104 of 181
Just got a Fiio X3 recently and threads like this one had me concerned about formatting issues, getting a 64gb card to work, etc.  I purchased a Samsung PRO 64GB card and was pleased to see it comes stock as FAT32, so no formatting was necessary.  It holds 62.4GB and thus far I've had no problem with any file type on the card (before and after updating the firmware).  Only issue I've noticed thus far with the player is that it crashed after a fast forward attempt.     

EDIT:  After loading a lot more albums, I too experienced disappearing data.  Going to try some of the file order suggestions and see if that fixes it.  

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #105 of 181
Does the X3 take a long time to read the micro sd card that's full with music?
I'm hoping to buy a few 64GB micro SD cards to fit all my music on and use it primary to listen to music instead of the computer. I would like to easily swap memory cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back