More Fiio X3 64GB MicroSD Issues!
Aug 17, 2013 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 181

New Head-Fier
I got my X3 today and I can't get it to show more then the first approx 200 (out of 750+) albums from a 64GB Sandisk Micro SD.
I have read and followed the similar threads here and have formatted (including using GUIFormat and setting the allocation unit size to 32768) the card as FAT32 and reloaded music countless times. I have the latest firmware (1.25?) and have tried resetting the player and refreshing the library.
I don't know what else to try to get all my music showing!

Please advise.

Thanks

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 181
Aug 18, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 181
I had very similar problems with the first X3 I received. I returned it to amazon and the replacement read the 64gb card that would not read in the first one. Another guy reviewing on amazon also had the same problems with regards to vanishing tracks. So far with my replacement X3 none of my tracks have vanished.

I do have another SD card coming from amazon tomorrow to copy more music to. I will see how that card works out. A class 10 Scandisk.

Aug 18, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 181
There seems to be too many individual issues to know whether its worth returning or not. All I can say is that mine had major issues including a faulty coax adapter and I returned it to amazon based on that. I am finding even with the replacement that there are some issues which have not been resolved with the new X3.

When my new 64gb card comes from amazon tomorrow I will see if it works OK, if it doesn't then I guess the issues are more fundamental, if it does work then it maybe worth returning it. 

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #7 of 181
Thank you, the card I am using and that isn't working in the X3 (but does in everything else) is the same SanDisk one as you just bought, although I think mine is class 6. Is that worse then the one you just bought and how would it make a difference?

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #8 of 181
Hi. The new card is a class 10 but some of my other cards are class 4 and they work fine. I only bought a class 10 in case it didn't work so I could use it with my camera where writing a 10meg image needs all the speed it can get.

Have you tested your card?

OK so take the card that is causing you problems and delete anything that is on it. The program you need to start with is called H2TestW which you can Google and download for free if you don't already have this. The menu is German or English, select whichever.

Select the target (drive letter for the SD card)
Run the Write/Verify on all available disk space.

This will take a while. If it comes up clean then you have a good card and I would be looking at the X3, however if you get errors you either have a faulty card or a counterfeit card which actually started life with less capacity than is printed on the card. Unfortunately these 'uprated' cards appear often on ebay and on Market stalls here in the UK. If its too good to be true price wise then it probably is. This is the reason I check every SD card now. The one that caught me out came supplied by Amazon on behalf of a market place trader and I only discovered a problem when I went to check some photos I had taken.

You may also want to use Crystal Disk Mark to check the speed of your card. If the two 4k write tests are very very slow, say 0.005 then your card is screwed and is probably an 'uprated' one.

Finally I run Check Flash V1.162 and if I have any doubts about the card I leave it running overnight on the 'burn it' setting. If you suspect the card has errors then just run it with the 'until first error found' check box clicked.

The above testing probably doesn't matter if you are just listening to music but when a card is going into a camera I think its worth a little bit of effort.

Hope this helps rather than confuses.

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #9 of 181
Class 10 will be better than Class 4 or Class 6. please don't worry about the compability of the TF card in X3. we need more information and find some solution to help people have problem in how to make it work. in fact,

most should belong to uncorrctive format of the TF card.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 19, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #10 of 181
Trevor- thank you for the advice, I believe my card to be genuine and error free (since it works perfectly in other devices) however I will run the tests to double check.
Maybe If the X3 firmware contained it's own card format feature then it could make things easier?
I really did think it would be a case of taking the card out of the Clip Zip and putting it into the X3 and everything would just work.

An Amazon reviewer says that Fiio are aware of the X3's inability to index large music archives with lots of folders on 64Gb cards.
If this is true then it sounds like it is a FW problem after all. This sort of problem should have been ironed out months ago in a beta release.

James- I have followed all the format advice on the forum and it still doesn't work. Can you say when a fix is coming?

Aug 19, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #11 of 181
The cards I tried in the first X3 I had all worked fine on my other devices too. I think one issue is that the X3 is very sensitive to any errors on a card, ones that other devices may work with.A format utility in the software would be the best solution.

I also think that the format of the files helps with FLAC 96kHz or less seeming to work better for me than any of the other supported formats I have tried.

Aug 27, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #12 of 181
Update- The 64GB card passed all the tests.

I purchased a SanDisk 32GB Class 10 MicroSD card (which also passed all tests) thinking it would solve my problem, but it didn't.

Although the whole new card is full, on the player I can only see the first 260 albums, (16GB).

Does this point to a faulty device? It works perfecly well apart from this problem (I only use the headphone port).

I don't know what to do next.

Aug 27, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #13 of 181
With my replacement X3 I can see all my albums and I have about 58gb worth on one card. All of the cards I have work with this model. If you are still able to return it then I would and ask for a replacement. This is ONLY my opinion based on how I resolved my issues.

Aug 27, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #14 of 181
Quote:
Update- The 64GB card passed all the tests.

I purchased a SanDisk 32GB Class 10 MicroSD card (which also passed all tests) thinking it would solve my problem, but it didn't.

Although the whole new card is full, on the player I can only see the first 260 albums, (16GB).

Does this point to a faulty device? It works perfecly well apart from this problem (I only use the headphone port).

I don't know what to do next.

This is what I did....   I looked at the X3 and found the last Album that the X3 would display...  say for example Ray Charles... I then took the memory card and made another folder.. in that folder I moved all the Albums from Ray Charles folder down to the last folder and copied them into the second main folder...  in other words I now have the card split into two main folders with say folders A thru R in one main folder and S thru Z in the other main folder...  the X3 sees all the albums that way....  

Aug 31, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #15 of 181
My gear: Fiio X3, SanDisc Class 10 SDXC, OS 1.25, German language

In folder view my Fiio X3 doesn´t display the artist´s folders from the SD card  any more  beginning with "A" and "B". The Folders beginning with "_"are accessible as well as all other folders from "c" to "z".

I wonder when this happened because I´m pretty sure that I´ve allready listened to Beyoncé e.g. with my Fiio X3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back