Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Nov 15, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #11,551 of 11,980
aria’s snow version /starfeild/kxxs uses DLC/CNT drivers to my knowledge , while Aria black and Chu uses LCP driver so does Variation’s bass DD.

You probably may find LCP dd closer to illuminations, the bass transient is much faster - bass imaging is better textured compared to carbon-bases CNT/DLC drivers.

I see many of your favs are bullet types, like E500, why not try Chu? It’s like Aria’s little sister, and only cost like $20 something.

Also there is budget dusk-curved hybrid IEM with LCP driver, truthear HEXA that came out recently, I ordered and am waitin, but some early bird report is pretty convincing that HEXA is blessing 3.0 with $79 price tag. It’s like Costco’s private brand Kirkland.

Moondrop uses HeyGears for blessing shell 3D printing process, and HEXA is usung same ODM, or maybe it’s an ODM‘s private brand.
I've had a Starfield at the office for a few years and have had no issues with it. They sound great and I'm probably the only person that actually likes the cable they come with.

Nov 15, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #11,552 of 11,980
why not try Chu? It’s like Aria’s little sister, and only cost like $20 something.
The little extra bass on the 7Hz Zero makes it closer to Aria than the Chu, having owned all 3. Zero is just too good.

Nov 15, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #11,553 of 11,980
I've had a Starfield at the office for a few years and have had no issues with it. They sound great and I'm probably the only person that actually likes the cable they come with.
Haha yea nothing wrong with Starfield, it sounds all right with no visible flaws. I’ll be the second one who likes blue starfield then, no need for recabling Starfield, it sounds just right with stock cable and blue cable matches the whole grand design theme.

Nov 15, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #11,554 of 11,980
The little extra bass on the 7Hz Zero makes it closer to Aria than the Chu, having owned all 3. Zero is just too good.
That’s nice to hear, I’m having Zero incoming aside from Lea, the two LCP little sisters since I like the timbre of it especially the low-end fidelity.

Nov 22, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #11,555 of 11,980
Nov 23, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #11,556 of 11,980
Truthear HEXA vs Variations A-B test

Although HEXA’s tuning is more like Yume, a lower sub-bass shelf compared to Variations, they both sound very reminiscent. Not exactly same, because there are differences in technicalities, a different class one. But still I can see B+ to A- level of good technicalities in HEXA when compared to Variations.

My guess for Crin’s rating for HEXA will be Tonality S (it’s Yume), Technicalities B+, overall A- with ★★★. Technicalities can’t be more than A- because that’s where he placed Softears RSV (Tone: S, Tech: A-) as A IEM. And to me RSV’s technicalities are S tier, except the resolution part which I personally think it’s an independent factor outside of general geo-dynamic technicalities.

👉I tried to minimize other variables to interfere into the A-B test, I first tested with both IEMs with their factory default cables (but with same moondrop’s default ear tips, because ear tips alter the sound a lot)

👉Then I found their tuning is close enough, so that I can plug left ear with Variations, and Right ear with HEXA with the same coax cable that came with Variations. (Pictures below)
D632329E-09C4-4B6E-8D6F-1172D507C198.jpeg

Treble: Variations obviously have better resolution/layering, and extends further than HEXA, Variations has the “finesse”
That HEXA is lacking. Variations EST surely is a thing that work. HEXA’s tweeter meanwhile is not Bellsing obviously, I assume it’s low distortion knowles equivalent, unless Bellsing got new 30019s to the level of Knowles WBFK.

Mid: now it’s getting hard. To my ear, surely Variations got a better Softears-MID BA to have a perfect 3khz gain spotlight, but HEXA’s mid range isn’t that indifferent. They both have exceptionally good imaging, but textures on Variations are a tad better —not miles far— when you directly compare both.

Bass: they are both LCP DD, and I know how an LCP would sound. HEXA’s LCP DD surely overruns the ones with the Blessing 2 and Dusk’s traditional DD, HEXA’s is fast and nimble, tactile. However it’s not the exactly same LCP driver that Variations use, I also feel there is a very, very small room that Variations’s LCP could breathe over the HEXA’s LCP. But the difference is now smaller than that I felt for mid-range. I think this level of technical difference could be tossed to hands of tuning preferences.

Variations is more sub-bass elevated. HEXA’s more like See Audio Yume or Blessing 2 OG’s neutral-ish sub-bass “on-sight” slope. If you prefer neutral approch, HEXA, if you prefer more sub-bass rumbling impacts, Variations.

They both have excellent textures and low distortions, crisp bass imaging.

My overall impression on HEXA is:
It’s Yume tuned Variations with a bit of cost saving in mind for engines, if I pull cars as an example. Variations is Mercedes AMG C63(0-60mile: 3.8sec) and HEXA is Mercedes AMG C43 (0-60miles: 4.7sec) both cars are FAST and good for race circuits. Although C63 is “handcrafted by 1 maestro “ in Germany Affaltebach, AMG’s plant —V8 biturbo—, while C43 uses V6 biturbo engine which was —manufactured in Mercedes’s own factory, same ones used for non-AMG, regular Mercedes th—, a bit more consumer friendly high performance engine.

But when we take a look at cost, $79 vs $560, in a car world C43 actually 80% of C63. So HEXA surely is one of “a bolt from the blue” high-performance vehicle sold at cost of $12kUSD vs 85k USD C63.

You can see what car enthusiasts will do with that. Buy, customize, race with C63 :wink:

It’s exactly what’a happening in this IEM world. You can change the ear tips (tires), cables (suspensions), or buy an upgraded DAP(supercharger) to buff this HEXA. It has Good capacity to play around as well. Because the framework is solidly built, customization could be something interesting thing to do if you got bored with original tuning.

For HEXA if you want bass floors to be higher, XINHS 4 core graphene cable is what I used for similarly tuned See Audio Yume. It works great. If you want more airflows into HEXA without sacrificing bass transient “the thumps”, SpinFit W1 may work for you and will solve any fit issues if you have.

If you want ultimate Sub-bass knock, Softears UC tips, or AZLA Xelastec Crystal Clear.

Lowpass-filter match: Short delay Slow Roll Off filter or similar would bring natural expression and laid back tonality, Short Delay sharp roll off filter will bring natural & better imaging from this BA’s timbre reproductions
69B58864-9BA9-498A-A34A-1EEBE811106A.jpeg
B6A406C7-1135-4961-A7CE-3C74A984C57E.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #11,557 of 11,980
Truthear HEXA vs Variations A-B test

Although HEXA’s tuning is more like Yume, a lower sub-bass shelf compared to Variations, they both sound very reminiscent. Not exactly same, because there are differences in technicalities, a different class one. But still I can see B+ to A- level of good technicalities in HEXA when compared to Variations.

My guess for Crin’s rating for HEXA will be Tonality S (it’s Yume), Technicalities B+, overall A- with ★★★. Technicalities can’t be more than A- because that’s where he placed Softears RSV (Tone: S, Tech: A-) as A IEM. And to me RSV’s technicalities are S tier, except the resolution part which I personally think it’s an independent factor outside of general geo-dynamic technicalities.

👉I tried to minimize other variables to interfere into the A-B test, I first tested with both IEMs with their factory default cables (but with same moondrop’s default ear tips, because ear tips alter the sound a lot)

👉Then I found their tuning is close enough, so that I can plug left ear with Variations, and Right ear with HEXA with the same coax cable that came with Variations. (Pictures below)

Treble: Variations obviously have better resolution/layering, and extends further than HEXA, Variations has the “finesse”
That HEXA is lacking. Variations EST surely is a thing that work. HEXA’s tweeter meanwhile is not Bellsing obviously, I assume it’s low distortion knowles equivalent, unless Bellsing got new 30019s to the level of Knowles WBFK.

Mid: now it’s getting hard. To my ear, surely Variations got a better Softears-MID BA to have a perfect 3khz gain spotlight, but HEXA’s mid range isn’t that indifferent. They both have exceptionally good imaging, but textures on Variations are a tad better —not miles far— when you directly compare both.

Bass: they are both LCP DD, and I know how an LCP would sound. HEXA’s LCP DD surely overruns the ones with the Blessing 2 and Dusk’s traditional DD, HEXA’s is fast and nimble, tactile. However it’s not the exactly same LCP driver that Variations use, I also feel there is a very, very small room that Variations’s LCP could breathe over the HEXA’s LCP. But the difference is now smaller than that I felt for mid-range. I think this level of technical difference could be tossed to hands of tuning preferences.

Variations is more sub-bass elevated. HEXA’s more like See Audio Yume or Blessing 2 OG’s neutral-ish sub-bass “on-sight” slope. If you prefer neutral approch, HEXA, if you prefer more sub-bass rumbling impacts, Variations.

They both have excellent textures and low distortions, crisp bass imaging.

My overall impression on HEXA is:
It’s Yume tuned Variations with a bit of cost saving in mind for engines, if I pull cars as an example. Variations is Mercedes AMG C63(0-60mile: 3.8sec) and HEXA is Mercedes AMG C43 (0-60miles: 4.7sec) both cars are FAST and good for race circuits. Although C63 is “handcrafted by 1 maestro “ in Germany Affaltebach, AMG’s plant —V8 biturbo—, while C43 uses V6 biturbo engine which was —manufactured in Mercedes’s own factory, same ones used for non-AMG, regular Mercedes th—, a bit more consumer friendly high performance engine.

But when we take a look at cost, $79 vs $560, in a car world C43 actually 80% of C63. So HEXA surely is one of “a bolt from the blue” high-performance vehicle sold at cost of $12kUSD vs 85k USD C63.

You can see what car enthusiasts will do with that. Buy, customize, race with C63 :wink:

It’s exactly what’a happening in this IEM world. You can change the ear tips (tires), cables (suspensions), or buy an upgraded DAP(supercharger) to buff this HEXA. It has Good capacity to play around as well. Because the framework is solidly built, customization could be something interesting thing to do if you got bored with original tuning.

For HEXA if you want bass floors to be higher, XINHS 4 core graphene cable is what I used for similarly tuned See Audio Yume. It works great. If you want more airflows into HEXA without sacrificing bass transient “the thumps”, SpinFit W1 may work for you and will solve any fit issues if you have.

If you want ultimate Sub-bass knock, Softears UC tips, or AZLA Xelastec Crystal Clear.

Lowpass-filter match: Short delay Slow Roll Off filter or similar would bring natural expression and laid back tonality, Short Delay sharp roll off filter will bring natural & better imaging from this BA’s timbre reproductions
Wow high praises! Mine's coming in sometime next month so can't wait to compare it to the bigger boys (SA6 Ultra & RSV). Also curious to how the AFUL Performer 5 competes here :thinking: They (HEXA & Performer 5) seem like tweaked versions of the Dusk at a lower price. Would be cool if someone could compare those 3!

Nov 23, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #11,558 of 11,980
Wow high praises! Mine's coming in sometime next month so can't wait to compare it to the bigger boys (SA6 Ultra & RSV). Also curious to how the AFUL Performer 5 competes here :thinking: They (HEXA & Performer 5) seem like tweaked versions of the Dusk at a lower price. Would be cool if someone could compare those 3!
Just posted a brushed up version of the above on Head-Gear Review, here is my subjective rating:

—Final impression (based on my HRTF)
Overall | A
Tonality | S
Resolution | A-
Overall Coherence | A-

1. Diffusion Field coherence | A-
  2. Image coordinate positioning coherence | A+
  3. Image Focusing Coherence | B+
  4. Sound wave momentum & Sound Image vectoring coherence | A+
My other A-rated IEMs:
Blessing 2 (84/100: A) | Blessing 2 Dusk (85/100: A) | Mangird Tea (84/100: A)

My higher than A rated:
Timeless (A+) | DUNU SA6 (S-) | Variations (S-) | Softears RSV (S-) | Monarch (S-) | MEST MKII (S) | Anole VX (S+)

So RSV I feel is still 0.5 steps ahead. Besing similarly configured 1BA tweeter, 2BA mid, while RSV uses 2BA for bass(which works like miracle), and HEXA uses butt-kickin’ LCP.

That AFUL surely looks awesome, from many reviews, but hey the price!! I like HiFiGo and often use their stores, but I can’t agree with the pricing strategy $1k for 4BA+1DD.
A hard hard hard push man, hard one.

The best for new brand to offer that 4BA+1DD to my personal view is blessing 2’s competition. Considering you can get pseudo-blessing2 for $79 with a better bass. $1k is a joking price to offer.

And the naming strategy, AFUL, only word I can imagine from this abbreviation is “ awful “ why they name such a bad name to any IEM…

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #11,560 of 11,980
That price was just a placeholder. It's a bit above $200
Yea, $220 is somewhat good starting point. I still don’t think it’s competitive enough as a new brand, because you can get highens quad Sonion mid range and Knowles equipped non-harman tuing 7BA+1DD for $237. I placed order for Awful performer 5 to see, how it goes.

Dec 9, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #11,564 of 11,980
Yes, I tried two pure silver cables and they didn't work too well. I find the Variations' mids a bit scooped so it sounds best with some large awg copper cables IMO.
Yea regardless of material, any V-tune or bright tune cables aren’t particularly good match with Variations

Users who are viewing this thread

Back