Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Nov 2, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #11,522 of 12,007
A review of Moondrop Dawn just came out and it also compares it with the famous cheap Apple dongle.

https://headfonics.com/moondrop-dawn-review/
I enjoyed the Moondrop Click a lot during a recent trip driving the IE600. Basic specs, but sounds great for a $20 dongle. Highly recommended minimalistic solution for Android users and easy to drive IEMs. 👍

Also thinking of picking up the Variations again. I missed the excellent sub bass I got from those and the delicate highs from the estats. Was hoping for a sequel. 🥲 Though I don't think I could ever sell off my B2 Dusk for nostalgic reasons. It's gonna remain as a collectors item for me.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #11,524 of 12,007
I enjoyed the Moondrop Click a lot during a recent trip driving the IE600. Basic specs, but sounds great for a $20 dongle. Highly recommended minimalistic solution for Android users and easy to drive IEMs. 👍

Also thinking of picking up the Variations again. I missed the excellent sub bass I got from those and the delicate highs from the estats. Was hoping for a sequel. 🥲 Though I don't think I could ever sell off my B2 Dusk for nostalgic reasons. It's gonna remain as a collectors item for me.
If only they could merge the drivers and resolution of Variations with the tonality of Dusk.... Instant success.

Nov 6, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #11,526 of 12,007
Does anyone know what material the shell of the @MOONDROP Alice is made of and how it's painted? I'm curious if since the Alice is same price and driver as the Kato if the same anodization type painting was used.
Matte painted plastic… due to the nature of tws signal there’s not much choice.

Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Nov 7, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #11,528 of 12,007
any cable recs for the variations? stock one is ugly

Nov 8, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #11,530 of 12,007
damn
If you stick to Moondrop I like their Line K Cable
can you change the termination? can i use that 4.4mm balanced connection at home and then 3.5mm SE with my iphone

Nov 9, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #11,532 of 12,007
the variations arrived but which ones are L and R? does the cable go in a certain way — there are no markings unlike my old blessing 2

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #11,533 of 12,007
Hello everyone, I've been out for a while from head-fi due to my lifestyle change.

Here are some inputs:
Moondrop Chu:
-It demonstrated moondrop's $20 IEM can do so much, so much improvement from "ehh OK" entry-level Tanya/ Quarks to Aria class "wow, this thing sounds good" level,
-The sound signature is a refined version of Aria, with a cleaner mid and a bit more powerful bass

Moondrop Stellaris:
-The reason I came back to head-fi, I found myself spending most of my time with 7Hz timeless more than those high-end EST hybrids these days, and thought Stellaris would be a good alternative
-So far Stellaris is still 0.5 steps behind Timeless in terms of technicality, as its sound tuning is much more mid-focused with its existing VDSF tuned siblings, but it turns out to be long-term listening friendly compared to sub-bass elevated flat studio monitor tuned 7Hz Timeless. Depending on the fit, the sub-bass could easily get eliminated, and with its low mid-bass tuning, Stellaris could be weird.

-The weak point for Stellaris is rolled-off treble, resulting lack of air, so I'd expect some improvement for Stellaris 2.0

-The pinna gain area could also get a bit nerfed

-Stellaris's name 群星(lots of stars) is self-explanatory, the upper end reminds me of KZ ZEX, and works well with live music, but peaky for non-live ones

-Sub-bass could use some buff, like the one tuned for Variations, planar handles sub-bass pretty well, so eliminating the sub-bass floor is a bit disappointing to my personal preference
-As a first planer attempt from Moondrop, I'd give a high-five! It got the "Planer" realistic timbre and imaging! But still, long way to catch up with 7hz timeless. Timeless is much more technical and neutral sounding.

-Great job on the newly developed silicon ear-tip! I was using a similar soft silicon one for Timeless and am glad to see Moondrop coupled Stellaris with the same feeling. yes the tips work great for Planer's timbre

Overall: B
Tonality: B-
Technicality: C+
Layering: C+
Sound Staging: C

Tuning could be better, but the planar potential is there, looking forward to Stellaris 2.0

The impedance per spec on box stated 36 ohms vs 14.8 ohms 7Hz Timeless, I do hope next model comes with lower impedance.

Cheers!
Pic: Stellaris and Timeless

Attachments

• E35111C6-5F26-4509-84C4-79007B7BF4E4.jpeg
    E35111C6-5F26-4509-84C4-79007B7BF4E4.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #11,534 of 12,007
the variations arrived but which ones are L and R? does the cable go in a certain way — there are no markings unlike my old blessing 2
The picture shows right IEM for variations

Attachments

• 263FDE12-AA61-4915-86DD-EDCC67712EB8.jpeg
    263FDE12-AA61-4915-86DD-EDCC67712EB8.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Nov 10, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #11,535 of 12,007
Anyone got the Alice in hand yet?

Mine have a very noisy background when nothing is playing, wondering if it's broken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back