Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Oct 30, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #11,506 of 12,007
I am going to order the Blessing 2 Dusk or the Variations when the sale starts this coming week. Seems the B2 Dusk is the better choice and the Variations isn't actually an upgrade at all after reading and watching reviews.

Oct 30, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #11,507 of 12,007
I am going to order the Blessing 2 Dusk or the Variations when the sale starts this coming week. Seems the B2 Dusk is the better choice and the Variations isn't actually an upgrade at all after reading and watching reviews.
I think that depends on how picky you are about the technicalities. B2 Dusk has great tuning, think even a little more balanced than the Variations, but the V is technically better. For me it was no competition, B2 went to classifieds as soon as I received the Variations.
But also depends on your source, you need something good to get the most out of the Variations. Maybe similar price level DAP or DAC.
As always - my experience and YMMV

Oct 30, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #11,508 of 12,007
I think that depends on how picky you are about the technicalities. B2 Dusk has great tuning, think even a little more balanced than the Variations, but the V is technically better. For me it was no competition, B2 went to classifieds as soon as I received the Variations.
But also depends on your source, you need something good to get the most out of the Variations. Maybe similar price level DAP or DAC.
As always - my experience and YMMV
I’m not picky, I just want the best sound for what I listen to — mainly rock music.

I’ve narrowed it down to any of the three Moondrops - B2Dusk, Variations, and S8. I do have a DAC/Amp at home but I was planning to use these IEMs with my iPhone and the Apple dongle.

Oct 31, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #11,509 of 12,007
Hey guys! Here's my review of the Moondrop Stellaris single planar driver IEM! Read to know how it sounds and performs. Included are graphs, comparisons and some suggestions to make it sound and perform better. Cheers!

Moondrop Stellaris

Moondrop Stellaris Box.jpeg

Oct 31, 2022 at 4:42 AM Post #11,510 of 12,007
I’m not picky, I just want the best sound for what I listen to — mainly rock music.

I’ve narrowed it down to any of the three Moondrops - B2Dusk, Variations, and S8. I do have a DAC/Amp at home but I was planning to use these IEMs with my iPhone and the Apple dongle.

Get the Variations. It's a step up compared to the Dusk, it's a small step but it's there. The difference is mainly in the low end.

I don't know anything about the Apple dongle I have never used it, but check the video below from crinacle. I use FiiO Btr5 and Xduoo XP-2 Pro for my iems and easy to drive headphones and both are excellent. I don't like dongles I prefer small bluetooths AMPs.

Oct 31, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #11,511 of 12,007
I use my BTR5 via bluetooth on my phone
but i use it wired to my laptop for my headphone.
the 3.5mm is not that powerful but the 2.5 is enough for my headphone
---
that being said, plenty said apple dongle is pretty good budget option

Oct 31, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #11,512 of 12,007
I’ll read up on the BTR5/7 as I don’t quite understand how they work with my iPhone.

Is my understanding correct, I will play music from my iPhone using Tidal/APM/Spotify and then stream it over to the BTR7 and listen to the Moondrop IEMs plugged in there. And that should sound better than the IEMs plugged into the Apple dongle directly into my phone?

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #11,513 of 12,007
Oct 31, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #11,514 of 12,007
Feeling the need to write some thoughts about the Stellaris Planar IEMs

Had them about a month so far, and they are certainly different in just about every way compared with my other IEMs. TL;DR: the fit is strange, the FR curve is misleading to my ears, and they are very bright & detailed after burning in (as opposed to the unlistenable mess they were for me out of the box).

Opinionated rambling ahead.

The fit is strange, works for me but many others complain about it. The oddly long stem sticks out (literally); it gives a secure fit and a good seal easily for me, only surpassed by one other IEM I have. The Kato, for comparison, has very short stems. I find Kato's hard to seat securely because of how short they are, always needing to adjust the fit to get a good seal. I can definitely see why people complain about the fit of the Stellaris, especially if you have small ears.

The Stellaris convinced me burn-in is real. I listened to them out of the box and regretted the buy pretty quickly. Gave it about 10 hours just playing music at a moderate volume, it sounded leagues better. It was downright harsh initially but after burning in it undoubtedly improved. Bright, detailed treble and detailed, understated bass. Really at odds with my other IEMs, and the FR curves I have seen seem to imply a much punchier and extended bass region. That's the strangest part for me; the bass is extremely clear and easy to separate from other sounds but is not prominent otherwise. At the other end, I can see why the treble is polarizing. Found it very harsh and fatiguing out of the box, now I'd just call it very bright. I find myself switching between these and the Kato for work. Very different sounds, but I like both.

On the whole I seem to gravitate towards these when I am in need of portability, which is surprising because I really like the Kato's I was using previously. It's like having double the music, if I get tired of the V-shaped FR of the other stuff I can grab the Stellaris instead. Need to emphasize how at odds these seem if you look at the FR curves, the bass is really understated and detailed where the curve implies to me a much punchier entry, like my other IEMs. Not a bad thing IMO, the stark contrast keeps me grabbing the Stellaris about half the time (and it's not like you are missing out on details, even at the low end). I enjoy the sound a lot.

I don't much care for looks or the anime appeal, much prefer the matte-gray of the Kato (more professional, nobody glances twice). Not really into the audio jewelry aspect. That being said, they are rather attractive to look at. Like with nice looking cables, the pictures don't ever seem to do them justice; it certainly looks better in person than it does in the pictures I saw (some reviewers have much nicer, close-up pictures). I like the color, I like the decals; if you are into audio jewelry, I suppose this would hit the mark.

Edit: If you have these in hand and feel like comparing bass to something more punchy, I most hear the difference in "Bogatyri" by We Lost the Sea at the 1:40 mark. I tend to use that bit of the song when comparing how bass-y things are relative to each other.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #11,515 of 12,007
My Dusk's left faceplate came off yesterday (Glued back with some wood glue.)

Bought 3 months ago, lightly used from another head.fier.

I noticed early signs of the faceplate coming off right when I got it but assumed it was movement from the tips (Was using Softear tips.), the faceplate would wiggle a bit upon inserting the affected side into my ear.

There's Moondrop's dodgy QC for ya.

I highly advise NOT to get these used if you are interested on picking a set.

Oct 31, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #11,516 of 12,007
Get the Variations. It's a step up compared to the Dusk, it's a small step but it's there. The difference is mainly in the low end.

I don't know anything about the Apple dongle I have never used it, but check the video below from crinacle. I use FiiO Btr5 and Xduoo XP-2 Pro for my iems and easy to drive headphones and both are excellent. I don't like dongles I prefer small bluetooths AMPs.

Variations worth going for if I already have the Dusk?

Attachments

• 16672562963194009610868921240393.jpg
    16672562963194009610868921240393.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Nov 1, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #11,517 of 12,007
I ordered the Variations as the Dusk wasn’t on sale during 11.11. £265 vs £385 so I’m hoping it’s worth the extra £120.

I’m thinking of buying the AP80 PRO X to go with it. Seems a clever little DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back