Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Sep 30, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #11,476 of 11,982
Hope that later on they release a Stellaris variant that will be akin to what the Aria was to the Starfield, not only for price cuts but also, and primarily, to get rid of the tacky Starfield-esque design language. Even on day one, before the paint chips off, I much prefer the subtle elegance of the Aria, especially the snow edition. I also really like the SSR/SSP look, despite (or because?) of the quirky shell shape.

Sep 30, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #11,477 of 11,982
Hi. I am thinking of getting the S8. I am currently using Noble Audio Sage and ZX300. I mostly listen to pop, jpop, kpop and some old but gold songs. There is no local shop that sells this iem so this is going to be a blind buy. Would I like this iem?
Mind you about one thing with S8, apparently it has very plastic BA timbre to its sound. Variations are supposedly just as good as S8, are cheaper and have no BA timbre. Watch out for durability issues with them though...

Edit: Variations are also tuned differently, a lot of bass there but the treble is on point. If you use parametric EQ however, this is not an issue.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #11,478 of 11,982
Mind you about one thing with S8, apparently it has very plastic BA timbre to its sound. Variations are supposedly just as good as S8, are cheaper and have no BA timbre. Watch out for durability issues with them though...

Edit: Variations are also tuned differently, a lot of bass there but the treble is on point. If you use parametric EQ however, this is not an issue.
So would the variations suit my tastes better and a better buy overall? I like that it comes with a 4.4mm jack.
How long do these iems usually lasts?
I am also looking at Dunu SA6.

Sep 30, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #11,479 of 11,982
So would the variations suit my tastes better and a better buy overall? I like that it comes with a 4.4mm jack.
How long do these iems usually lasts?
I am also looking at Dunu SA6.
For their tuning: they have A LOT of bass, subbass to be exact so they are super clean. Some people say their mids sound clinical but I like that sort of tuning. It all depends on your preferences. I don't listen to any of your genres so I can't comment here but let me tell you this: if you can EQ them (UAPP or Wavelet on Android, Equalizer APO on Windows and Qudelix 5K or FiiO BTR7 BT DAC on Apple devices, it works for everything but you already have a source, maybe it can EQ as well?) this isn't going to be a problem at all since you could just reduce bass. But I think someone said they are good for electronic music and general pop. Don't quote me on that tho...

As for durability, I am not sure, I considered them but decided on UM MEST instead. Their cable is garbage like all stock MD cables, better replace it with something you will actually enjoy wearing (AVOID SCAMMERS TELLING YOU CABLES CHANGE SOUND, THEY DON'T AND THERE'S SCIENTIFIC PROOF!!! Buy a cable that you like by its feel, connectors etc.) that's softer with more cores.
What made my buy the MEST (used one) was that some units have their 2-pin sockets sometimes crack and sometimes completely shatter and fall out for no reason. You can find some pictures in this very thread. The plastic used for these connectors was apparently quite break prone. As for the shells, I have seen one that cracked for no reason but that was just one I saw. Faceplates falling off is a common occurence but you can just glue them no problem.

In short, Variations is probably the king of 500$ bracket right now, if you like a lot of bass. It has fantastic tuning with one of the best treble tunings you will find anywhere. If you prefer much more neutral, ThieAudio Oracle Mk1 is superbly tuned but has much smaller stage than Variations as well as less details. Then there's the new ThieAudio Oracle Mk2 which is quite similar in tuning to Variations but probably better in most ways for a similar price. BEWARE OF THIEAUDIO QC, THEY ARE MUCH WORSE THAN MOONDROP! I also considered Monarch Mk2 but decided against it due to drivers randomly dying there. Yeah, TA has a lot of issues with drivers dying...

Sep 30, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #11,480 of 11,982
Variations needs a, well, variation in tuning like Aria and Aria Snow Edition.

Oct 7, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #11,482 of 11,982
Today I dismantled the old stuff. As for raising funds to buy RS8 (maybe....because I still don't know the actual price and release date in my country).
After listening them , I would regret it if I had to sell them. :joy:

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #11,484 of 11,982
Oct 11, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #11,486 of 11,982
@rarewolf yes, I saw there too. Just ordered mine before/if they go away. :p

Oct 12, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #11,487 of 11,982

Moondrop Stellaris: FIRST IMPRESSIONS
🌠

After 30 minutes of listening to the Stellaris, here are my first impressions.

I’ll describe the sound of the Stellaris as “bright V-shaped”.

Fit sucks big time (refer to Picture 2). Shell is on the heavy side and the awkward ear hook is pulling the IEMs down. Nozzle is long (like the Moondrop SSR) so they have to go deep into the ear canal to fit well. Problem is, the nozzle is on the wider side so getting a deep fit isn’t something everyone can do. With a terrible fit, the Stellaris sounds damn bad—Bright, harsh, bass-less. Eww.

I have to cut off the ear hooks, use a smaller ear tip size (size S) to get them to fit (Refer to picture 3 & 4). But once I get the fit right, the sub-bass texture and definition is quite good. Refer to picture 5 to see a picture of Stellaris with good fit. Treble is also quite well-defined and sparkly (although on the brighter side). Vocal presentation is very similar to SSR where it is very forward and “in your face”.

If you dislike the SSR, you won’t like Stellaris’ vocal presentation. If you are looking for an SSR upgrade, I think the Stellaris might be a good pick up.

The Moondrop Stellaris is definitely not an “all-rounder” set. You either love it or hate it.

With tracks that are quite light in bass, the vocal and treble presentation definitely do come off as a bit too forward and aggressive. In this case, you do have to turn down the volume a bit else you’ll get fatigued.

Alright. Enough of my first impressions of the Moondrop Stellaris. Will post my FR graph measurement and my full review of the Moondrop Stellaris in around a week.

Thanks for reading. Peace
✌️

Thank you HiFiGo for loaning me the Moondrop Stellaris for review.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 0
Oct 12, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #11,488 of 11,982

It's not BA timbre. They are tuned with a lot of Pinna gain and need careful tip and wire matching like all very revealing things. Their prorietary mid driver has less BA timbre than most. What you're hearing is neutral midbass as opposed to more than accurate which can be too revealing of sources/files. That said, I do think they're slightly overdone in terms of pinna gain (maybe 2db) but it can be voiced out with cable and tips. The S8 is built to hear a mix. A8 that uses the same mid driver, gives some of that added warmth and doesn't display the thing you described unless you like it noticeably warmer, which is also fine. Lots of those overtly warm devices out there. RSV also uses the same mid driver and it's noted for a lack of BA timbre.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #11,489 of 11,982
For their tuning: they have A LOT of bass, subbass to be exact so they are super clean. Some people say their mids sound clinical but I like that sort of tuning. It all depends on your preferences. I don't listen to any of your genres so I can't comment here but let me tell you this: if you can EQ them (UAPP or Wavelet on Android, Equalizer APO on Windows and Qudelix 5K or FiiO BTR7 BT DAC on Apple devices, it works for everything but you already have a source, maybe it can EQ as well?) this isn't going to be a problem at all since you could just reduce bass. But I think someone said they are good for electronic music and general pop. Don't quote me on that tho...

As for durability, I am not sure, I considered them but decided on UM MEST instead. Their cable is garbage like all stock MD cables, better replace it with something you will actually enjoy wearing (AVOID SCAMMERS TELLING YOU CABLES CHANGE SOUND, THEY DON'T AND THERE'S SCIENTIFIC PROOF!!! Buy a cable that you like by its feel, connectors etc.) that's softer with more cores.
What made my buy the MEST (used one) was that some units have their 2-pin sockets sometimes crack and sometimes completely shatter and fall out for no reason. You can find some pictures in this very thread. The plastic used for these connectors was apparently quite break prone. As for the shells, I have seen one that cracked for no reason but that was just one I saw. Faceplates falling off is a common occurence but you can just glue them no problem.

In short, Variations is probably the king of 500$ bracket right now, if you like a lot of bass. It has fantastic tuning with one of the best treble tunings you will find anywhere. If you prefer much more neutral, ThieAudio Oracle Mk1 is superbly tuned but has much smaller stage than Variations as well as less details. Then there's the new ThieAudio Oracle Mk2 which is quite similar in tuning to Variations but probably better in most ways for a similar price. BEWARE OF THIEAUDIO QC, THEY ARE MUCH WORSE THAN MOONDROP! I also considered Monarch Mk2 but decided against it due to drivers randomly dying there. Yeah, TA has a lot of issues with drivers dying...
I wish I didn't hear differences in cables. That ignorance would be bliss.
That said, Per forum rules, this isn't the place to argue that nor cable direction etc.

Oct 13, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #11,490 of 11,982

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back