Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Sep 8, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #11,446 of 12,007
Interesting about the power differences. The Dawn 4.4mm was on my list of potential upgrades from the HiBy FC3, but I ended up with the HiBy FC4 instead. If it’s a miss, the Dawn is back on my list.
If you do end up getting the Dawn 4.4mm you will NOT be longing for more power, that much is for sure. This thing is powerful.

Sep 10, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #11,448 of 12,007
So I tried the Blessing 2 as my first IEM. Unfortunately, it wasn't for me. Sound to my ears came off as tiny and metallic, and a bit too bright.

That, and even with the smallest tips I couldn't get them to fit well. Maybe my ear canals are small. Should I be looking for a smaller nozzle? I read the Blessing 2s are 7mm... where some others are 5mm??

Or are IEMs just not for me? I do love the concept of having great portability with noise cancelling qualities. Unfortunately, these things simply weren't comfortable and didn't sound as good as my OG Clears.

Thoughts, friends?

Sep 10, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #11,449 of 12,007
So I tried the Blessing 2 as my first IEM. Unfortunately, it wasn't for me. Sound to my ears came off as tiny and metallic, and a bit too bright.

That, and even with the smallest tips I couldn't get them to fit well. Maybe my ear canals are small. Should I be looking for a smaller nozzle? I read the Blessing 2s are 7mm... where some others are 5mm??

Or are IEMs just not for me? I do love the concept of having great portability with noise cancelling qualities. Unfortunately, these things simply weren't comfortable and didn't sound as good as my OG Clears.

Thoughts, friends?
Try the Katos. Some say they are pretty close to the Blessings. They are only Dynamic Driver which for me its a win personally. The Katos are also a bit warmer (thicker notes) and even comes with tuning nozzles.

Sep 19, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #11,451 of 12,007

First impressions on Stellaris

Seems like the Stellaris is tuned like the Chu but brighter?

Price is 20,000 yen which is roughly 140 USD.

I expect the Stellaris to be around 170-80 with conversion shenanigans.

Really dig the aesthetics of the Stellaris even tho some people don't vibe with it.

Sep 20, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #11,454 of 12,007
I hope it's okay for me to ask this in this thread. Loved my B2Ds, but the nozzle was too large and caused a medical issue with my ears. I bought the Sony IER-M9 hoping it would be my end game IEM, but the M9s don't (and can't, even with EQ) hit hard on sub-bass like the B2D. The M9 are fantastic from about 150Hz up, but the lack of sub-bass slam leaves me wanting more from the presentation. I also need something with a nozzle smaller than the B2D's 6.5mm as well.

Considering I need to sell both my B2D and my M9 my budget is a little north of $1k used at most. What IEMs would you recommend for me? Thanks for your advice!

Sep 21, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #11,455 of 12,007
I hope it's okay for me to ask this in this thread. Loved my B2Ds, but the nozzle was too large and caused a medical issue with my ears. I bought the Sony IER-M9 hoping it would be my end game IEM, but the M9s don't (and can't, even with EQ) hit hard on sub-bass like the B2D. The M9 are fantastic from about 150Hz up, but the lack of sub-bass slam leaves me wanting more from the presentation. I also need something with a nozzle smaller than the B2D's 6.5mm as well.

Considering I need to sell both my B2D and my M9 my budget is a little north of $1k used at most. What IEMs would you recommend for me? Thanks for your advice!

I'm afraid Moondrop don't have sub bass specialized IEMs beside Variations, but if you already have M9, variations will be a downgrade from there. Go to Sony Z1R thread? If you're looking for great sub bass (and complete bass overall sub, mid, upper) = Z1R, IE-900, or 64audio Tia Trio.

Sep 21, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #11,456 of 12,007
Guys. Maybe this is a weird question, but if someone from here have listened to both the Chaconne (earbuds) and the Kato (IEM), which one would you say delivered the better sound quality?

This of course this is pretty subjective as those who hate earbuds will disqualify the Chaconne right away. But if some have experienced both I would like to know their opinion.

Thank you in advance.

Sep 21, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #11,459 of 12,007

Maybe go straight to the IER-Z1R for sub.

I am very happy with my Monarch MK2 coming from a M9 and Variations but it's not as sub heavy as the Z1R

Sep 21, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #11,460 of 12,007
Guys. Maybe this is a weird question, but if someone from here have listened to both the Chaconne (earbuds) and the Kato (IEM), which one would you say delivered the better sound quality?

This of course this is pretty subjective as those who hate earbuds will disqualify the Chaconne right away. But if some have experienced both I would like to know their opinion.

Thank you in advance.

It is not ideal to compare a earbud (Chaconne) to an IEM (KATO), as the different transducers have their pros and cons, so it is really an apples to oranges comparison.

Earbuds lack a seal, and hence most of em have poor sub-bass and isolation compared to IEMs. Earbuds however, have superior soundstage to most IEMs (in general). Earbuds are actually like open backed headphones. So in a way, these two different transducers are complementary.

FWIW, I don't really like the Chaconne as I found it quite anemic in the bass, and it has a fixed cable at a TOTL earbud pricing. That's just one awkward yank away from being a white elephant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back