Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Aug 31, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #11,431 of 12,007
Excellent. So you feel the Spring Tips emphasize treble more than the W1?

Yes. The Spring Tips are bright. No question about it. But you also have to figure in fit. I think the W1 is more likely to fit a wider range of people. On the other hand, the W1 is only available in a variety pack with S/M/L tips. If you already know what size you want you can’t get them in a (for example) three pack of Ls. You can buy three packs of Spring Tips in S/M/L and EXL. They also have a variety pack if you don’t know your size. Finally, it’s worth noting that the Spring Tips are cheap. You don’t need to splash out a lot of cash to try them.

Aug 31, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #11,433 of 12,007
Sep 1, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #11,435 of 12,007
Hi guys.
Has anyone tried the Moondrop Kato with either the new Spinfit W1 tips or the Azla SednaEarfit Max tips?
Which one do you think may be more faithful to the actual sound signature of the Kato, specially compared to the Spring Tips? Do you think the Spring Tips actually represent the real sound signature?
I haven't tried using the Kato with any tips that you mentioned, but I have used it with Spinfit CP145 and Acoustune AE07. Since these two are hard silicone tips, it brings up the bass and the treble. Both bring the stage forward, resulting in the details being highlighted, and reduce the stage depth.

I can't know this for sure, but the fact that they bothered to tell that the FR on the box is obtained using the Kato matched with the spring tips, and that they developed the eartips is for a significant part just so that they can release it with the Kato, kinda indicate that it's the sound they intend people to hear with the Kato.

And I agree. The Kato sounds most natural with the spring tips. The background is more black, the treble is smooth and the mid has that warmth that for me makes the sound really special.

Sep 1, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #11,436 of 12,007
Hi if you want to try variations out we can schedule a customer demo to you first before purchase (you'll be responsible for shipping to next participant).

Interesting. Is this tour available for Australian listeners as well? I’m quite curious about the sound of Variations, given its high praises.

Sep 1, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #11,437 of 12,007
Interesting. Is this tour available for Australian listeners as well? I’m quite curious about the sound of Variations, given its high praises.
Unfortunately to my knowledge currently It’s only for US and europe…

Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Sep 2, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #11,438 of 12,007
Hi guys.
Has anyone tried the Moondrop Kato with either the new Spinfit W1 tips or the Azla SednaEarfit Max tips?
Which one do you think may be more faithful to the actual sound signature of the Kato, specially compared to the Spring Tips? Do you think the Spring Tips actually represent the real sound signature?

Not those specific tips, but I've tried CP145s and CP360s on the Kato. Full impressions here, but the short version is that the Kato only sounds right to me with spring tips. All the other tips I've tried add a sharp treble peak to me, including Azla Short Light tips which I haven't mentioned in that post but they did this as well.

Personal ear canal shapes can affect how different tips will sound though, but for me it was clear that the Kato relies heavily on spring tips for its sound.

Out of those 3 aftermarket tips I found the CP145s to sound the most tolerable on the Kato if that helps. But even those I wouldn't pick for the Kato personally.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #11,439 of 12,007
Not those specific tips, but I've tried CP145s and CP360s on the Kato. Full impressions here, but the short version is that the Kato only sounds right to me with spring tips. All the other tips I've tried add a sharp treble peak to me, including Azla Short Light tips which I haven't mentioned in that post but they did this as well.

Personal ear canal shapes can affect how different tips will sound though, but for me it was clear that the Kato relies heavily on spring tips for its sound.

Out of those 3 aftermarket tips I found the CP145s to sound the most tolerable on the Kato if that helps. But even those I wouldn't pick for the Kato personally.
If you have any KZ Starline tips layering around give ‘em a try. Super cheap too

Sep 5, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #11,440 of 12,007
Guys, a question…
I just received my Moondrop Kato Blue and love the color. Just one tiny detail; the left earphone came with a very tiny abrasion dot near the edge. It really doesn’t bother me by itself, but I‘m afraid it may peel off sometime later. What would you think are probabilities of this happening? It is not really that noticeable, but I tried to capture the best possible, as you can see it in the pictures.

I purchased them from Shenzheinaudio store through Amazon Mexico. How much time does the warranty covers in these cases?

Edit: Both Shenzhenaudio and Moondrop responded would take care of it in case this mark evolves badly, but it seems its just a mark and nothing more. So I feel more relaxed now. I don’t think it is worth to return just for that, but its good to feel safe about it

Attachments

• 5A84E0CF-C5D9-4F6F-9460-0C6ECD81D19E.jpeg
    5A84E0CF-C5D9-4F6F-9460-0C6ECD81D19E.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 29FB5296-92BB-4E3B-AAEB-A3191DC27E38.jpeg
    29FB5296-92BB-4E3B-AAEB-A3191DC27E38.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 902FE09E-EFD9-4448-B581-881E0AE82DE1.jpeg
    902FE09E-EFD9-4448-B581-881E0AE82DE1.jpeg
    296.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #11,442 of 12,007
Guys, a question…
I just received my Moondrop Kato Blue and love the color. Just one tiny detail; the left earphone came with a very tiny abrasion dot near the edge. It really doesn’t bother me by itself, but I‘m afraid it may peel off sometime later. What would you think are probabilities of this happening? It is not really that noticeable, but I tried to capture the best possible, as you can see it in the pictures.
Seeing as the dark blue is a oxidized titanium plating, it's a lot less likely to come off than paint. Scratches can still go trough if they're deep enough but titanium is also more scratch resistant than the stainless steel below it.

Sep 8, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #11,443 of 12,007
Moondrop is known for its bubbling and self peeling paints

Scratches is one thing, this is something else.

But thats for og Aria, i didn't know whether Kato prone to Aria bubbling paint
Seeing as the dark blue is a oxidized titanium plating, it's a lot less likely to come off than paint. Scratches can still go trough if they're deep enough but titanium is also more scratch resistant than the stainless steel below it.
Yeah, looking up close it is clearly not bubbling nor peeling. This is something else, it seems like a scratch but it is not a scratch either because there isn't any kind of trail. Its just this non symmetrical tiny dot, which although can barely be felt, it feels hard, not fragile to peeling at all. Also, it came with its plastic cover protector and that wasn’t damaged at all.

So I came to the conclusion this is just a tiny manufacturing defect (later confirmed by Moondrop) and It doesn’t feel it will become more than that. One cannot deny the sturdiness of its construction to the touch. And more importantly it definitely does not affect sound because they sound so great.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #11,444 of 12,007
I have just received my Moondrop Dawn today.

My collection of Moondrop products is rather large, anything from Quarks to Variations and pretty much anything in-between. Holy cow did the Dawn blow me away. The bass is fast and abundant without being annoying, the technicalities are respectable, the amp rivals what I get from my Schiit $120 amp, maybe even a touch louder. I am beyond pleased I made this purchase.

Beware of one thing though, my understanding is that the 3.5mm does not get as loud as the 4.4mm which is what I bought. Regardless, the Moondrop Dawn gets my full seal of approval.

Sep 8, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #11,445 of 12,007
I have just received my Moondrop Dawn today.

My collection of Moondrop products is rather large, anything from Quarks to Variations and pretty much anything in-between. Holy cow did the Dawn blow me away. The bass is fast and abundant without being annoying, the technicalities are respectable, the amp rivals what I get from my Schiit $120 amp, maybe even a touch louder. I am beyond pleased I made this purchase.

Beware of one thing though, my understanding is that the 3.5mm does not get as loud as the 4.4mm which is what I bought. Regardless, the Moondrop Dawn gets my full seal of approval.

Interesting about the power differences. The Dawn 4.4mm was on my list of potential upgrades from the HiBy FC3, but I ended up with the HiBy FC4 instead. If it’s a miss, the Dawn is back on my list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back