Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Oct 26, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #10,441 of 11,979
@MOONDROP - will there be an opportunity to buy the new spring eartips separately, and especially in a size larger than the current large size?

The large spring tips are simply too small for me, so right now I am using spinfit 100+ XL tips on my KATO, but I worry I am missing out...
That’s gonna depend on whether our suppliers have that spare productivity to do that, the spring tips is one of the reason we are running behind on pre-orders.

Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Oct 26, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #10,442 of 11,979
Out of curiosity, will the nozzle filters be sold as a spare product like the filters for KXXS/Aria/etc...? I'm wondering if I end up liking the sound of the brass more than the steel model but let's say the tuning mesh goes dirty so I need to replace that. Will I need to replace the nozzle with new ones or you guys will sell just the tuning mesh for KATO?
We’ll sell them intended as a service(for users to replace the lost/broken ones)but not as a separate product

Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Oct 27, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #10,444 of 11,979
Hi, is it worth getting the Kato if you already have the Fiio FD3 Pro? I've never owned a Moondrop IEM but I have always heard praise about the KKXS, Aria, and Starfield and Kato is supposedly an upgrade to those. I am also curious to listen to Moondrop's house sound but if they sound similar to FD3 Pro then I might just skip them.

Oct 27, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #10,445 of 11,979
Hi, is it worth getting the Kato if you already have the Fiio FD3 Pro? I've never owned a Moondrop IEM but I have always heard praise about the KKXS, Aria, and Starfield and Kato is supposedly an upgrade to those. I am also curious to listen to Moondrop's house sound but if they sound similar to FD3 Pro then I might just skip them.

I read a wise comment once, if you buy similar priced headphones, you will get a similar level of sound performance.

I personally have spent hundreds of dollars on similar priced low/mid-fi head/ear phones, if I grouped that money together I could have gotten some much nicer hi-fi gear instead, admittedly less gear, but better performance gear.

So, is dropping $200 "worth it" to satisfy your curiosity? Probably only you can answer that.

Oct 27, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #10,446 of 11,979
I read a wise comment once, if you buy similar priced headphones, you will get a similar level of sound performance.

I personally have spent hundreds of dollars on similar priced low/mid-fi head/ear phones, if I grouped that money together I could have gotten some much nicer hi-fi gear instead, admittedly less gear, but better performance gear.

So, is dropping $200 "worth it" to satisfy your curiosity? Probably only you can answer that.

Very true!
The good thing about spending $$ on lower priced gear is that you can figure out what works for you and what information sources are reliable for you.
Then you can make good decisions, invest into the $$$ gear and sell off (part of) the cheaper stuff.
That's where I am... Look at my signature. Upgrading from my current gear (Chord Hugo 2, Sony IER-M9 and Focal Clear) would be so expensive that it's simply not an option for me.
Moondrop has started my journey with the Kanas Pro, and the Variations still has a place in my collection and heart.

Oct 27, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #10,447 of 11,979
FBnIvNkXsAgsXE0.jpg

Oct 27, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #10,449 of 11,979
Very true!
The good thing about spending $$ on lower priced gear is that you can figure out what works for you and what information sources are reliable for you.
Then you can make good decisions, invest into the $$$ gear and sell off (part of) the cheaper stuff.
That's where I am... Look at my signature. Upgrading from my current gear (Chord Hugo 2, Sony IER-M9 and Focal Clear) would be so expensive that it's simply not an option for me.
Moondrop has started my journey with the Kanas Pro, and the Variations still has a place in my collection and heart.

That and the rapid advancement of audio means “hi-fi” tech now trickles down to mid-fi prices in a couple years. I would rather be patient and spend less money.

Oct 27, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #10,450 of 11,979
That and the rapid advancement of audio means “hi-fi” tech now trickles down to mid-fi prices in a couple years. I would rather be patient and spend less money.

Very good points. Headphone world is also about your own personal journey of discovery.

As a counter point, my LCD2 fazor I bought second hand many many years ago still blow me away with their sound.

Oct 27, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #10,451 of 11,979
I am finding the Kato to be fairly shouty. I tried the Spring tips, the foam tips, Final E tips. They had no affect on the shout. Thoughts from anyone?

Oct 27, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #10,452 of 11,979
I am finding the Kato to be fairly shouty. I tried the Spring tips, the foam tips, Final E tips. They had no affect on the shout. Thoughts from anyone?
Change your ears maybe xD Just Kidding. How long have you had the KATO? From my experience with DD IEMs, they most of the time change with burn-in.

Oct 27, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #10,453 of 11,979
One man’s shouty is another man’s Elizabeth Taylor 😉

Oct 27, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #10,454 of 11,979
Yeah I found them a tad bit too sharp, regardless of what tips I used. I would try the brass nozzle + foams to try and tame it a bit. It helped a bit for me but not enough to make the KATO my cup of tea. I ended up going back to my starfields.

Oct 27, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #10,455 of 11,979
One man’s shouty is another man’s Elizabeth Taylor 😉
But when Marilyn Monroe (Penon Fan) and Ingrid Bergman (2021 Hana) walk into the room shouty becomes an issue for Ms. Taylor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back