Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Oct 24, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #10,427 of 11,982
Nice looking graph, aside from bass Kato actually looks tuned closer to ety target than ety evo lmao, with better extension too.

I still don't get the tuning nozzle differences. On crin's graphs the brass are slightly warmer, on super review's graph it's the same but there's a larger 15khz peak, on your graph the treble is less extended and slightly more peaky at the top ranges. Some reviewers have said the brass nozzle makes the kato sound warmer, others have said it gives more air in the treble. Most have said they couldn't tell the difference. I'm confused what the actual differences are meant to be at this point.

@MOONDROP can we get an explanation on why one would choose one nozzle over the other?
The original idea behind it was more like a functional design... In the very first place, we were facing difficulties with milling the nozzle and shell all in one place. We have to make the nozzle modular to reduce some manufacturing difficulties. (In short, KATO won't look like she is right now if we don't use that!)
Modular design makes filter replacement slightly easier than using a tweezer also.
After the modular design has been decided, we thought about another competitor's IEM with DLC: why don't we also provide a different nozzle for fun?
So we decided to add extra brass nozzles.
On our objective specs measurement in the design process we were unable to tell much difference by FR. However some of our testers and employees are having some consensus that brass nozzle sounds warmer, richer, so we decide to keep them for some fun or for the community to tweak it themselves

Last edited:
Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Oct 25, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #10,428 of 11,982
The original idea behind it was more like a functional design... In the very first place, we were facing difficulties with milling the nozzle and shell all in one place. We have to make the nozzle modular to reduce some manufacturing difficulties. (In short, KATO won't look like she is right now if we don't use that!)
Modular design makes filter replacement slightly easier than using a tweezer also.
After the modular design has been decided, we thought about another competitor's IEM with DLC: why don't we also provide a different nozzle for fun?
On our objective specs measurement in the design process we were unable to tell much difference by FR. However some of our testers and employees are having some consensus that brass nozzle sounds warmer, richer, so we decide to keep them for some fun or for the community to tweak it themselves

Out of curiosity, will the nozzle filters be sold as a spare product like the filters for KXXS/Aria/etc...? I'm wondering if I end up liking the sound of the brass more than the steel model but let's say the tuning mesh goes dirty so I need to replace that. Will I need to replace the nozzle with new ones or you guys will sell just the tuning mesh for KATO?

Oct 25, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #10,429 of 11,982
I've tried both nozzles and can confirm that the brass sounds more warm. I'm surprised it doesn't show in any FR graphs

Oct 25, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #10,430 of 11,982
id love to see/hear some blind A/B testing results of the nozzles.

Oct 25, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #10,432 of 11,982
Lol trust me it doesn't need to be blind. It's really that noticable. I'm surprised there were even any ppl who couldn't tell the difference.
Cool, Ill try it out when they arrive. Though usually I'm pretty bad about telling differences in sound.

Oct 25, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #10,433 of 11,982
I’ve been busy recently, couldn’t catch up stay online, but here I received preordered Kato:

Out of box impression:
-wow! Definitely KXXS successor, at an instant I can tell this uses different driver than KXXS/Starfield/Aria, an upgraded one

-sense of transparency and resolution, thanks to it’s newly designed “spring eartip”, a somehow huge bore SpinFit, it matches with Kato perfectly

-Tried stock cable 3.5 SE and the pre-order freebie cable came with 4.4 balanced, Stock felt a bit more balanced, and and the freebie a bit more lifted upper registers, no huge difference but I prefer 4.4 one that came with it

-Tried replaceable nozzle, the stock one and bronze one, stock is more redefined moondrop harman, and the bronze one lowers bass floor and lifts mid-treble, a “bright neutral booster” kit it felt like, which I prefer the bronze one atm

-Kato compared to KXXS/Aria/Starfield families, definitely a step up, I was shocked especially for the well tuned tonality as well as very highly defined articulations and resolving capabilities of Kato, doesn’t feels like it’s backed by a dynamic driver, more like EST

-I haven’t burn Kato yet, so I’m not still sure about bass speed, but at this stage I still feel Aria or Variations drivers got upper hand for bass speed, mean while thanks to boosted treble, Kato has a significant presence on air region, but lively and entertaining

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #10,434 of 11,982
I’ve been busy recently, couldn’t catch up stay online, but here I received preordered Kato:

Out of box impression:
-wow! Definitely KXXS successor, at an instant I can tell this uses different driver than KXXS/Starfield/Aria, an upgraded one

-sense of transparency and resolution, thanks to it’s newly designed “spring eartip”, a somehow huge bore SpinFit, it matches with Kato perfectly

-Tried stock cable 3.5 SE and the pre-order freebie cable came with 4.4 balanced, Stock felt a bit more balanced, and and the freebie a bit more lifted upper registers, no huge difference but I prefer 4.4 one that came with it

-Tried replaceable nozzle, the stock one and bronze one, stock is more redefined moondrop harman, and the bronze one lowers bass floor and lifts mid-treble, a “bright neutral booster” kit it felt like, which I prefer the bronze one atm

-Kato compared to KXXS/Aria/Starfield families, definitely a step up, I was shocked especially for the well tuned tonality as well as very highly defined articulations and resolving capabilities of Kato, doesn’t feels like it’s backed by a dynamic driver, more like EST

-I haven’t burn Kato yet, so I’m not still sure about bass speed, but at this stage I still feel Aria or Variations drivers got upper hand for bass speed, mean while thanks to boosted treble, Kato has a significant presence on air region, but lively and entertaining
Do you find male vocals rich and full? Also glad that your enjoying them, can't wait to receive mine!

Oct 25, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #10,435 of 11,982
Do you find male vocals rich and full? Also glad that your enjoying them, can't wait to receive mine!
I find female vocals to be super full and rich on the bronze nozzle, but the mid-bass are more closer to the neutral curve on both nozzles, so I could use some more bass floor, it’s personal preference though, it is pretty neutral, and both Male and female vocals casts very well from the Kato👍 I’m especially amazed by high resolution of Kato, it reminds me the approcg of Anole VX, a first of a kind that I heard from Moondrop

Oct 25, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #10,436 of 11,982
@MOONDROP - will there be an opportunity to buy the new spring eartips separately, and especially in a size larger than the current large size?

The large spring tips are simply too small for me, so right now I am using spinfit 100+ XL tips on my KATO, but I worry I am missing out...

Oct 25, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #10,437 of 11,982

Out of box impression:

Thanks for the impressions.

My Kato arrived today. I agree the Kato is a significant step up from the Aria/Starfield. The soundstage and instrument separation are two steps up from the Aria/Starfield. I have not experimented with the brass nozzles. I did some quick A/B comparisons to the Hana 2021.

I have my set burning in now. I will then do a thorough and, in my burn in-friendly eyes, a fair comparison to the 2021 Hana and the Penon FAN. There is no need to compare the Kato to the Starfield after the Kato’s burn in. OOTB, the Kato is superior to the Starfield.

Oct 25, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #10,438 of 11,982
Thanks for the impressions.

My Kato arrived today. I agree the Kato is a significant step up from the Aria/Starfield. The soundstage and instrument separation are two steps up from the Aria/Starfield. I have not experimented with the brass nozzles. I did some quick A/B comparisons to the Hana 2021.

I have my set burning in now. I will then do a thorough and, in my burn in-friendly eyes, a fair comparison to the 2021 Hana and the Penon FAN. There is no need to compare the Kato to the Starfield after the Kato’s burn in. OOTB, the Kato is superior to the Starfield.
These are great signs as more favourable impressions are coming through. I just hope when my Kato's arrive that it gives a more fuller and thicker midrange which the oxygens slightly lacked. If you find the vocals more thicker then your Hana 2021 that's all I would want to hear to be satisfied lol. It was my main reason to get the Kato's because moondroop single dd's usually have a nice full midrange presentation like my kpe and this time I hear it's much more clear and resolving.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #10,439 of 11,982
I find female vocals to be super full and rich on the bronze nozzle, but the mid-bass are more closer to the neutral curve on both nozzles, so I could use some more bass floor, it’s personal preference though, it is pretty neutral, and both Male and female vocals casts very well from the Kato👍 I’m especially amazed by high resolution of Kato, it reminds me the approcg of Anole VX, a first of a kind that I heard from Moondrop
Have you tried the Sony IER Z1R?
How does it compare to the Moondrop Variations?

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #10,440 of 11,982
Have you tried the Sony IER Z1R?
How does it compare to the Moondrop Variations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back