Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jan 30, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #7,051 of 11,979
After over 100 hours of burn-in for my second Starfield set (not use in ears), there is still a difference between my two Starfield sets but that difference is less than when I compared OOTB for set #2 vs. well-used set #1. Under identical testing conditions (same cable, ear tips, song, amp, etc.) other than the unit, unit #2 has a bit more upper mids/treble and treble extension, this gives a notable difference in soundstage depth and a moderate difference in instrument separation. When I use the terms "notable" and "moderate", I am talking audio-geek scrutiny under direct a/b testing. The volume difference between the sets has equaled out.

The two sets sound like a Starfield. To make an analogy, the sets are like identical twins with the only difference is that one has brown eyes and one has green eyes.
Fascinating, thanks for reporting your findings!

I wonder if the old one has more gunk in the filter, dampening the highs a little bit.

Edit: I just saw a posting in a local e-commerce selling a pair with "new batch, new filter" description. I wonder if there was ever any change in SF's filter..

Edit2:
Unlike some other IEMs on the market, MOONDROP implements acoustical damper and filter into one package in order to make precise control of frequency response. Its inner damper suffers some risk of comtamination by vapor or earwax which causes volume imbalance.(it's actually #1 cause of warranty issues.)

To fix that we developed a new triple layer anti clogging filter/damper. It effectively reduces risk of clogging issues that ends with volume imbalance.
All our products finished after April 2020 will come with this filter,

--
Is there any chance your #1 pair was bought before April 2020?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #7,053 of 11,979

I wonder if the old one has more gunk in the filter, dampening the highs a little bit.

Edit: I just saw a posting in a local e-commerce selling a pair with "new batch, new filter" description. I wonder if there was ever any change in SF's filter..

Edit2:
Unlike some other IEMs on the market, MOONDROP implements acoustical damper and filter into one package in order to make precise control of frequency response. Its inner damper suffers some risk of comtamination by vapor or earwax which causes volume imbalance.(it's actually #1 cause of warranty issues.)

To fix that we developed a new triple layer anti clogging filter/damper. It effectively reduces risk of clogging issues that ends with volume imbalance.

--

You are welcome and thank you for the kind words!

I looked that the filters of the older set. My first set was bought in December. There was a couple flecks of wax but I cleaned them up before testing. Also, when I did my original tests of the two units, the older, warmer unit was perceptively louder than the newer unit. That would seem to run counter to the older filter constraining volume/upper mids and treble. That said, my gut says the difference in brightness between the sets it is likely filter-related.

I can vouch that the second set did change through the burn-in process. There was a distinct difference in volume between the sets on my first direct comparison but that difference was not perceptible on the second comparison. If the human ear can perceive 0.25-1.0 dB differences in volume, that is probably not much of a change though.

Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 10.33.35 AM.png

Jan 31, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #7,055 of 11,979
After over 100 hours of burn-in for my second Starfield set (not use in ears), there is still a difference between my two Starfield sets but that difference is less than when I compared OOTB for set #2 vs. well-used set #1. Under identical testing conditions (same cable, ear tips, song, amp, etc.) other than the unit, unit #2 has a bit more upper mids/treble and treble extension, this gives a notable difference in soundstage depth and a moderate difference in instrument separation. When I use the terms "notable" and "moderate", I am talking audio-geek scrutiny under direct a/b testing. The volume difference between the sets has equaled out.

The two sets sound like a Starfield. To make an analogy, the sets are like identical twins with the only difference is that one has brown eyes and one has green eyes.
Maybe try get both starfield replaced with new tips? Tips matter a lot when it slowly fits your ear csnal.

Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Feb 1, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #7,056 of 11,979
I'm working with my catgirl-waifu-edition Blessing 2 in my ears today, playing Keiko Matsui out of Shanling M6. The sound is so delicate and ephemeral I can almost picture the fairies frolicking behind my back.
All the other IEMs I've got and listened to recently made me forget how good the B2 sounds. I'm really glad I got back to it again.

Feb 1, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #7,057 of 11,979
Maybe try get both starfield replaced with new tips? Tips matter a lot when it slowly fits your ear csnal.

I tried that. I used the same well-used tips for both sets. There is still a small difference between the sets even when I put the new tips on the old unit and the old tips on the new unit and compare them. I love them both. :)

What is interesting, as you seem to imply the role of tip burn-in. I noticed it with my testing.

edit: clarification

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #7,059 of 11,979

Edit2:

--
As a followup to this post, I found a local seller who sold two versions of Moondrop filters: the 2-layer and the 3-layer.

The 3-layer is supposedly just like the 2 layer but with an additional rubber (?) ring which separates both layers, to prevent imbalances (?).

I switched my Starfield filter to the 3-layer one. No change. I visually inspect them and the old filter is identical to the 3-layer one.

Then I switched to the 2-layer one. I changed one side at a time so I can compare them A/B. The 2-layer makes for a clearer sound, with higher upper mids and treble. Finally the Starfield doesn't sound like a dampened pair!!

It's still relaxed and warm, but much more bearable.

Now the only question I need to answer is.. Whether or not these two types of filter are authentic Moondrop ones.

In Shenzen audio I can only find the 3-layer one. If the only type of filter they sell dampens the upper frequencies this way, I'm going to need to find a supply of the 2-layer......

Edit: aaaand now I have to agree with people who say the SF and KXXS are really similar. Hmm...

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #7,060 of 11,979
As a followup to this post, I found a local seller who sold two versions of Moondrop filters: the 2-layer and the 3-layer.

The 3-layer is supposedly just like the 2 layer but with an additional rubber (?) ring which separates both layers, to prevent imbalances (?).

I switched my Starfield filter to the 3-layer one. No change. I visually inspect them and the old filter is identical to the 3-layer one.

Then I switched to the 2-layer one. I changed one side at a time so I can compare them A/B. The 2-layer makes for a clearer sound, with higher upper mids and treble. Finally the Starfield doesn't sound like a dampened pair!!

Now the only question I need to answer is.. Whether or not these two types of filter are authentic Moondrop ones.

In Shenzen audio I can only find the 3-layer one. If the only type of filter they sell dampens the upper frequencies this way, I'm going to need to find a supply of the 2-layer......

Edit: aaaand now I have to agree with people who say the SF and KXXS are really similar. Hmm...

Hmmmm... I wonder if my first set has a three-layer filter and my second set has the two-layer set. The second set might be NOS. Thanks for being so thorough!

Feb 2, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #7,061 of 11,979

The 3 layered filter is the new filter, if your iem has the 3 layer ones means you received the new batch of Iem instead of the old ones. The 2 layer filter is from the old batch, which has problem of clogging if it get damped. Moondrop guarantee that they will sound more or less similar between the two so there shouldn't be day and night difference.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #7,062 of 11,979

The 3 layered filter is the new filter, if your iem has the 3 layer ones means you received the new batch of Iem instead of the old ones. The 2 layer filter is from the old batch, which has problem of clogging if it get damped. Moondrop guarantee that they will sound more or less similar between the two so there shouldn't day and night difference.
What he said.

Feb 2, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #7,063 of 11,979
I am using the DUNU DUW-02 on my brighter Starfield set and A/B-ing vs. my DK-2001. Wow! The Starfield is one impressive unit for the price. The DK-2001's bass has more texture but a bit too much mid-bass focus, IMO. For mids, focusing on vocals, hands-down the Starfield wins. For instruments in the mid-range, the DK-2001 is a bit better. For treble, they are pretty close to each other for overall presentation. Overall, the DK-2001 sounds more effortless and agile while the Starfield is more "emotional".

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #7,064 of 11,979
Hmmmm... I wonder if my first set has a three-layer filter and my second set has the two-layer set. The second set might be NOS. Thanks for being so thorough!
They're visually identifiable, the 3 layer is much thicker than the 2 layer. So if you compare the spare filters you should be able to find out if you get different versions.

The 3 layered filter is the new filter, if your iem has the 3 layer ones means you received the new batch of Iem instead of the old ones. The 2 layer filter is from the old batch, which has problem of clogging if it get damped. Moondrop guarantee that they will sound more or less similar between the two so there shouldn't day and night difference.
Funny because as it stands out the 3 layer sounds like it's already clogged out of the box. And yeah the difference is night and day.

Are you aware of any counterfeit or OEM filters @MOONDROP?

(Also, just for fun I tried replacing my Tin T2 Pro's filter with my 3-layer ones, just to see if it curbs the treble. It did, but I didn't like the result.. And then I changed to the 2-layer and now it sounds awesome.)

Feb 2, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #7,065 of 11,979
They're visually identifiable, the 3 layer is much thicker than the 2 layer. So if you compare the spare filters you should be able to find out if you get different versions.

Funny because as it stands out the 3 layer sounds like it's already clogged out of the box. And yeah the difference is night and day.

Are you aware of any counterfeit or OEM filters @MOONDROP?

(Also, just for fun I tried replacing my Tin T2 Pro's filter with my 3-layer ones, just to see if it curbs the treble. It did, but I didn't like the result.. And then I changed to the 2-layer and now it sounds awesome.)
Not aware of these yet, most of the time they only say "work with the IEM", which we cannot do anything about.
But yeah I do have them with different versions of filters myself, to be honest I wouldn't think it's that amount of difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back