Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jan 24, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #7,023 of 11,979
I don't think so. At least we don't intentionally alter the sound design on purpose after the sound is set.

Should be unit variance and/or probably also that the filters on your older Starfield IEMs may have changed their acoustic resistance over time (due to minor traces of moisture, sweat and ear wax condensation).

Jan 24, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #7,024 of 11,979
Im unsure, but i still think those senns have heavier midbass even on the lowest setting. Every senn iem i owned during that era was heavy on midbass. So while it may be more controlled on the ie8, its probably still heavily preferenced. These were made well before the Harmon Curve or Diffuse Field became a thing in audio circles. This isnt to say either of those are the ideal curve for you or me, but they are directly influencing tuning on manufacturers, especially Moondrop.

EDIT: if you really want the og B2, try and buy it from Amazon and ensure there are free returns just in case its not for you.

The screw on the IE 80 (that is in reality just a variable valve inserted into the front cavity vent that, unlike on most other IEMs, is conveniently placed on the outer half of the shells wherefore it is not pre-blocked depending on one's individual ear geometry and fit) really mainly affects the sub-bass while the midbass, upper bass and fundamental range are already strongly lifted in the minimal position.

Jan 25, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #7,025 of 11,979
Oh wow, I find this intriguing. I find it hard to like my Starfields because they sound too warm and flabby.. I bought them used.

Either the unit variance is huge, or they get mellower over time. If it's the former, I'd love to buy another pair. If it's the latter, I guess I just have to concede that Starfield is not for me.

(For what it's worth, I find the Starfield and KXXS sound different. A lot of people, crinacle included, remarked that they sound very similar.)

Could you please report back after ~100hrs?

I will do that. I will compare both sets as well.

I don't find my first Starfield flabby but they are warm. They are a touch soft compared to my FD1 and my DK-2001. That said, the only time I can see the benefit of bass response harder/faster than what the Starfield can do is for some EDM with FM or hard-sync'd bass with super fast envelopes and for hard rock/metal. Obviously, different tastes, etc.

My second pair seems to sound partway toward what the KXXS is described as being on the Moondrop Starfield page:

Different from KXXS's sharp transient, accurate soundstage and analytical detail, Starfield emphasize more on delicate, soft, subtle style,

My thought is that the Starfield filters on my new pair might not be softening the sound as much as my first pair? I dunno

I was considering a KXXS but ordered a second Starfield with the thought I would use different cables and tips for a different flavor. Many reviewers were saying how similar the two IEMs were so I went for the cheaper option.

Thanks for your reply.

Jan 25, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #7,026 of 11,979
The screw on the IE 80 (that is in reality just a variable valve inserted into the front cavity vent that, unlike on most other IEMs, is conveniently placed on the outer half of the shells wherefore it is not pre-blocked depending on one's individual ear geometry and fit) really mainly affects the sub-bass while the midbass, upper bass and fundamental range are already strongly lifted in the minimal position.

The IE80 has pretty heavy midbass though even if you set it to minimum bass. Looks like you lose subbass with the minimum bass setting:

https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/sennheiser-ie80/

Jan 25, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #7,027 of 11,979
Ok, I got the Starfield this morning, put 10 hrs burn in.
The sound is toward neutral, with some excellent mids, but for my taste, bass is too weak and not fast enough. I listen mainly to hard rock and metal, kick drums volume is too low and double bass drum kicks are not tight enough. Highs are ok but I'd prefer a little more sparkle. Soundstage is wonderful, instrument separation so and so.
So far I'm getting always back to my Soundmagic e80, with slight plus eq on mids and slight minus eq on 100 hz range.
So, I raise my budget to max 250 euro what should I try? Pairing with a Cowon pm2.
Thanks

Jan 25, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #7,028 of 11,979
The sound is toward neutral, with some excellent mids, but for my taste, bass is too weak and not fast enough. I listen mainly to hard rock and metal, kick drums volume is too low and double bass drum kicks are not tight enough. Highs are ok but I'd prefer a little more sparkle. Soundstage is wonderful, instrument separation so and so.
So far I'm getting always back to my Soundmagic e80, with slight plus eq on mids and slight minus eq on 100 hz range.
So, I raise my budget to max 250 euro what should I try? Pairing with a Cowon pm2.
Thanks

Starfields are one of my favorite headphones, and they happen to be one of the cheapest. Having said that, they aren't great for Rock or Metal at all. They are missing the crunch of the guitar, and while the bass is excellently tuned for OST and pop music, it does not work well with Rock. Wonder if the cheaper **** MT300 might be a good option? Its like $65 and seems like it might be good for this type of music. On the spendier side but still well within your budget, the NM2+ might also do the trick. Its going to be brighter and more responsive than the Starfields. That brighter tuning will give you that guitar crunch and precision and I think the bass is more tuned for that type of music.

Jan 25, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #7,029 of 11,979
Thanks
Honestly, you'd better broaden your search to include non-Moondrop brands if you listen to hard rock and metal.. There are better options out there (probably even cheaper than the Starfield!)

Jan 25, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #7,030 of 11,979
So I’m thinking I’m somewhat deciding to get a B2D. I’ve never owned armatures/hybrids, I’ve only ever owned dynamics — anyone can share whether burn in helps?

Jan 25, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #7,031 of 11,979
So I’m thinking I’m somewhat deciding to get a B2D. I’ve never owned armatures/hybrids, I’ve only ever owned dynamics — anyone can share whether burn in helps?
Burn in does nothing to armatures. Might tighten up the dynamic driver in them, but thats not always the case either. It will likely just sound great out of the box.

Jan 25, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #7,032 of 11,979
Burn in does nothing to armatures. Might tighten up the dynamic driver in them, but thats not always the case either. It will likely just sound great out of the box.
Right!! I forgot that it was dynamic that needed burn in. But with their dynamic driver doesn’t it then need burn in to fully achieve the appropriate sound sig combo?

Jan 25, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #7,033 of 11,979
Right!! I forgot that it was dynamic that needed burn in. But with their dynamic driver doesn’t it then need burn in to fully achieve the appropriate sound sig combo?

No, your brain just needs to get accustomed to it. Auditory perception brain magic has a far more significant effect on whether you like your new purchase than any extent of burn in or cable changes will bring about.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #7,034 of 11,979

Sometimes, but not all the time. Most of the time burn in does very little. And when it does do something, it rarely takes more than like 20 hours. My guess is the Dusk will be ready to go when you open the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back