Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #7,036 of 11,979
Starfields are one of my favorite headphones, and they happen to be one of the cheapest. Having said that, they aren't great for Rock or Metal at all. They are missing the crunch of the guitar, and while the bass is excellently tuned for OST and pop music, it does not work well with Rock. Wonder if the cheaper **** MT300 might be a good option? Its like $65 and seems like it might be good for this type of music. On the spendier side but still well within your budget, the NM2+ might also do the trick. Its going to be brighter and more responsive than the Starfields. That brighter tuning will give you that guitar crunch and precision and I think the bass is more tuned for that type of music.
Brings me to question - have any of MSF owners tried some port hole or nozzle mods?
Why I`m asking is because KPE improved with port hole mods and I enjoy it GREATLY with metal, progressive djent/rock/jazz, nu-metal etc. styles while still maintaining neutral (harman) sided signature that works great all-around with different genres. Here`s a graph from mods improvement (not for all ofc):
11183847.jpeg

Jan 26, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #7,037 of 11,979
The IE80 has pretty heavy midbass though even if you set it to minimum bass. Looks like you lose subbass with the minimum bass setting:

https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/sennheiser-ie80/

That's what I wrote...

Since the screw is really just a valve inside the dynamic driver's front cavity vent (that was conveniently placed on the outside of each shells, unlike on most other vented IEMs where this vent is on the inner side and subject of being blocked depending on one's individual ear geometry and fit), that's also to be expected.

Jan 26, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #7,038 of 11,979
Brings me to question - have any of MSF owners tried some port hole or nozzle mods?
Why I`m asking is because KPE improved with port hole mods and I enjoy it GREATLY with metal, progressive djent/rock/jazz, nu-metal etc. styles while still maintaining neutral (harman) sided signature that works great all-around with different genres. Here`s a graph from mods improvement (not for all ofc):
11183847.jpeg
Can you share how to do the mods in a nutshell?

The only mod I'm familiar with is the micropore mod and what it does is tame highs.. I find the MSF severely lacking in that dept so I wouldn't dream of doing that mod there :p

From your graph at a glance it seems like the mod lifts the bass but keeps the higher freqs relatively intact.. But it seems to increase the SPL which is weird, and that piqued my curiosity.

Jan 26, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #7,039 of 11,979
That's what I wrote...

Since the screw is really just a valve inside the dynamic driver's front cavity vent (that was conveniently placed on the outside of each shells, unlike on most other vented IEMs where this vent is on the inner side and subject of being blocked depending on one's individual ear geometry and fit), that's also to be expected.

Haha you absolutely did! Yeah, the tuner seems relatively useless on that IEM. Its no LZ A7.

Jan 26, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #7,040 of 11,979
Hi guys,

I have a question for you ... does anyone know how the “new generation” S8 differs from the original in regards to sound? Thanks!

Jan 27, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #7,041 of 11,979
Can you share how to do the mods in a nutshell?

The only mod I'm familiar with is the micropore mod and what it does is tame highs.. I find the MSF severely lacking in that dept so I wouldn't dream of doing that mod there :p

From your graph at a glance it seems like the mod lifts the bass but keeps the higher freqs relatively intact.. But it seems to increase the SPL which is weird, and that piqued my curiosity.
Another thing You can see on graph - it shifts highs peak further, which some found little harsh/shrill causing.

Mod is simple - You need VERY thin needle. Just use tape (preferrable hard/thick) and tape it over front nozzle venting holes. Just make VERY tiny hole into that tape and that`s all. Why it raises SPL is pressure level.
Though, I don`t know how it works with MSF.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #7,042 of 11,979
Hi guys,

I have a question for you ... does anyone know how the “new generation” S8 differs from the original in regards to sound? Thanks!
Well we haven't released any "s8v2" yet, our mention of "new generation" was referring to our original 8ba, the A8.
Even though it's not about sound, S8 are much smaller size compared to A8, which made quite some difference for some of our customers.
Sound wise s8 was brighter, more midrange clarity and extension, A8 was more like a "strict harmanish" monitor which gives more amount of bass slam and solid dynamic, on the contrary S8 focus more on the bounce, the bass dive and overall clarity with our own target curve.

Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Jan 27, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #7,043 of 11,979
Haha you absolutely did! Yeah, the tuner seems relatively useless on that IEM. Its no LZ A7.

Imo the tuning valve on the IE 80 is indeed quite useless - while dialling in the full amount of sub-bass (imo) provides the best tonality as the "rolled-off" sub-bass (rolled-off relative to the midbass, upper bass and fundamental range), the biggest drawback it brings is that the bass that already appears soft and slow feels subjectively even softer and slower, with even less control. That's why I have mine set to the minimum position and never used the IE 80 with any music that extends deep in the lows, has got fast or demanding bass lines, or is fast and technically challenging.

How are the LZ A7 compared to the Starfield? Had the A5 but didn't really like their treble response that was too uneven, peaky and sizzling in the upper highs (while the 8 kHz peak, both in quantity as well as in terms of where it was placed, was okay to me and suited the v-shaped response, the numerous peaks around and above 10 kHz lead to this impression), resulting in a plasticky sound. In terms of technical qualities, though, they were quite good for hybrid IEMs.

Jan 27, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #7,044 of 11,979
I do not have an A7, though I almost bought one and have read/watched pretty much every review available. Seems like a resounding winner, and the different tuning options are actually mostly viable without creating harsh or clipped sound. Can really go pretty heavy V-shape with the tuning if you want, or the IEF Neutral if you want. Its an intriguing headphone, and most reviewers think its quite coherent for a hybrid.

The only hybrid I own is the Blessing B2 which has grown on me tremendously. It is technically better than the Starfield in every way one can measure. But to me its not SOOO much better that I just leave the Starfields to collect dust. There is something about the Starfields that I just enjoy--it straddles the line of smooth/detailed pretty well, and its trade offs aren't off putting for the music I listen to. They aren't great for rock or metal though--missing too much extension in the treble for that. I sort of cycle through 3 different IEMs currently: Blessing 2, KB EAR Believe and Starfields. I'm currently digging the Believe because it can EQ like no other headphone which allows me to manipulate its sound curve to sound more like a variety of other headphones.

Jan 30, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #7,047 of 11,979
Sorry if it's been asked - Which comply foam tips fit the Blessing 2 Dusk?

Jan 30, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #7,048 of 11,979
I ordered a set of Dusks in Sydney on 18/1. There was a hold up in shipping because of the volume of orders. It shipped from China on 26/1 and arrived today. 48hrs China to Sydney. That's got to be a world record. DHL FTW! Thanks Moondrop!
Who did you order from? There is a local supplier in Melbourne that have them.

Jan 30, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #7,049 of 11,979
After over 100 hours of burn-in for my second Starfield set (not use in ears), there is still a difference between my two Starfield sets but that difference is less than when I compared OOTB for set #2 vs. well-used set #1. Under identical testing conditions (same cable, ear tips, song, amp, etc.) other than the unit, unit #2 has a bit more upper mids/treble and treble extension, this gives a notable difference in soundstage depth and a moderate difference in instrument separation. When I use the terms "notable" and "moderate", I am talking audio-geek scrutiny under direct a/b testing. The volume difference between the sets has equaled out.

The two sets sound like a Starfield. To make an analogy, the sets are like identical twins with the only difference is that one has brown eyes and one has green eyes.

Jan 30, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #7,050 of 11,979
Recently picked up the Starfield and I've got to say, initial impression is "wow." Just destroys some IEMs at well above its price point. I'm not a detail obsessive, but for pure enjoyment, it's delightful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back