Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Sep 28, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #6,377 of 11,982
Wait and see, also consider the B2 if you prefer DD bass.

Recently a CN channel made a tour on Moondrop's crib and it seems they measured the Illumination at 7:20 in this video:

The graph shows it'll be aggressive DF tuning similar to SSR (about 15dB pinna gain and flat bass), which can be a hit or miss depending on one's taste. Also, bear in mind this can be just a prototype, so let's not jump into conclusions yet. It'll be released soon, so soon enough we'll have more official infos to chime in.

Thank you very much sir. I am currently using moondrop starfield. I am thinking of upgrading.

Sep 28, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #6,378 of 11,982
@rggz What's pinna?

The sum up would be the boost at upper-mids frequencies to compensate the ears' resonance to sound natural for us humans. If you see a graph without pinna gain or just flat in this area, it wouldn't sound flat to us, but rather recessed.

The thing is, each ear has its own "features and quirks" so for some too much pinna gain (10dB+) will sound shouty while for some it'll sound natural. That's why I said this type of tuning can be a hit or miss depending on one's tolerance/taste.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #6,379 of 11,982
The sum up would be the boost at upper-mids frequencies to compensate the ears' resonance to sound natural for us humans. If you see a graph without pinna gain or just flat in this area, it wouldn't sound flat to us, but rather recessed.

The thing is, each ear has its own "features and quirks" so for some too much pinna gain (10dB+) will sound shouty while for some it'll sound natural. That's why I said this type of tuning can be a hit or miss depending on one's tolerance/taste.
Yep, good summary. Here are a couple other considerations re: pinna gain:
- how aggressive the rising slope can also affect how our ears hear the resultant sound
- the peak frequency will also impact treble sound quality, ie. rise to 3k vs 4k vs 4.5khz etc
- the quality of the driver(s) will make a significant impact on SQ. The same pinna gain on one IEM compared to another can still result in a completely different sound.
- the dip that follows after can also influence the sound, how far it goes down, for example.

and as @rggz mentioned, the ear anatomy for each of us is different and will affect how we hear that pinna gain, not to mention our wearing habits -- deep insertion, foam tips, etc.

Sep 28, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #6,380 of 11,982
Wait and see, also consider the B2 if you prefer DD bass.

Recently a CN channel made a tour on Moondrop's crib and it seems they measured the Illumination at 7:20 in this video:

The graph shows it'll be aggressive DF tuning similar to SSR (about 15dB pinna gain and flat bass), which can be a hit or miss depending on one's taste. Also, bear in mind this can be just a prototype, so let's not jump into conclusions yet. It'll be released soon, so soon enough we'll have more official infos to chime in.

Thanks for sharing the video, this graph seems to be like their upcoming TWS.
7FC302F4-5E43-43E5-B45B-393FFD76D57A.png

Sep 28, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #6,381 of 11,982
A bit interjection with my current SSR.
Some people gonna kill me for this but oh well

Moondrop SSR EQ.jpg

Here is my Moondrop SSR equalization which hopefully solve some issue with the shouty upper midrange that some have, Target used is based on one of my preference curve

Filters:
Type: Peak FR: 2800Hz SPL: -5.3dB Q: 2
Type: Peak FR: 6000Hz SPL: -2.5dB Q: 1.3
Type: Low Shelf FR: 600Hz SPL: -1.5dB Q: 0.7
Type: High Shelf FR: 7000Hz SPL: -2.7dB Q: 0.8

The reason for the low shelf: It's too warm without it
The reason for the high shelf: This does kill off some treble but without this I noticed some grainy artifact in some vocal songs that I usually listens. So I decided to add it.
Both of the shelf filter varies so you will have to experiment the value on your own. Some might just need a peak filter rather than the high shelf but I was just lazy.

Feel free to try em out. I have tested this on 2 sample with nearly identical FR which seems to work well (Did some minor tweak with the 3rd, 4th filter for S2 but ultimately not necessary)

graph (13).png

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #6,384 of 11,982
Looks like the wooden Blessing 2's I ordered have finally shipped! Mine should be arriving on October 1st almost exactly four months after I ordered them
Damn, I doubt I could ever wait that long. You’re gonna love them, they are amazing.

Sep 28, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #6,385 of 11,982
Damn, I doubt I could ever wait that long. You’re gonna love them, they are amazing.

I waited 2.5 years for my Ora graphene headphones! In fact, there’s still a few hundred people that still haven’t received theirs yet, and it’s going on 3 years for them.

Sep 28, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #6,387 of 11,982
I waited 2.5 years for my Ora graphene headphones! In fact, there’s still a few hundred people that still haven’t received theirs yet, and it’s going on 3 years for them.
bro what

Sep 29, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #6,388 of 11,982
Just received the Blessing 2 and listening to them from my CHORD Mojo.
First impression: very clean, good detail, good coherence, no obvious BA issues, mid centric yet balanced tuning
Very safe with the Mojo.
Will be comparing against the modded JVC FD02, Sony EX1000 and Sony IER-M9 and testing how it scales from Mojo to Hugo 2

Edit: compared to modded FD02 and IER-M9
FD02 has a smoother presentation with fluid and expressive mids and treble
B2 is a bit drier, has a little more bite and treble emphasis. I like both.
Bass of the B2 is leaner but significantly tighter than that of the FD02, which (edit:) can become a little boomy and loose in comparison. Overall B2 is very good and I prefer it.

With the M9, aside from the warmer tuning the first thing that hits me is the M9's much bigger and deeper stage and precise positioning, then the refinement and clarity, bass impact and bass definition. B2 lacks definition in the lower frequencies in comparison. M9 also sounds more natural and is more comfortable.

I am impressed initially, lets see how it fares after a few weeks and how it will scale with the Hugo 2

EDIT 2: First impressions compared toSony EX1000
EX1k is as detailed, has much more bass authority and extension (one of the legendary EX1k qualities). It also has better clarity and separation, and sounds more effortless.

All comparisons done with Chord Mojo

I received my CHORD Hugo 2 yesterday and spent the evening listening...
Both the Hugo 2 and the Blessing 2 surprised me!

The H2 delivers very powerful, detailed and textured bass, and is significantly more detailed, transparent and dynamic than the Mojo, while remaining clean, smooth and very musical. Also the soundstage, separation and layering is a pretty big step up from the Mojo.

I was a little underwhelmed by the B2 paired with the Mojo, since I felt it was too bright and a little grainy in the mids and treble, but it pairs beautifully with the H2!
With the Hugo 2 the B2 has lean yet tight, punchy and textured bass, and an extremely detailed, clean and musical midrange with no sign of grainyness.
It is still a slightly bright leaning, neutral IEM, but it sounds really clean, clear and tight, very detailed and natural.

What's really impressive is that the Hugo clearly shows the limitations of my beloved, modded JVC FD02 and the legendary Sony EX1000.
Not so with the B2, it keeps up with the mighty Hugo 2 and just sounds better.
Great job, Moondrop!

Sep 29, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #6,389 of 11,982
I find that the B2 needs more power than its impedance and sensitivity imply. Where normally on my BTR5 I listen to most of my IEMs at volume 13-15, depending on the ambient noise level, the B2 needs at least 19.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back