Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Sep 25, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #6,361 of 11,979
Just bought the lyre acoustics pansy (I think the kpe stock cables?) with 4.4mm and man, the Starfields literally just lit up. Compared to the stock cables, it definitely sounds much wider and everything is now more pronounced. Overall very happy with this $40 cable.
IMG_20200925_133020_368.jpg

Sep 25, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #6,362 of 11,979
Hi, I used to have very bad imbalance issues due to filter clogging due to condensation with my Moondrop Arias so I vouched to stay away from Moondrop. But now I hear that they released new filters that supposedly fix the issue. Has anyone tried them? Is it fixed? If the issue is really fixed I'd love to try the Starfields.

Sep 25, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #6,363 of 11,979
Hi, I used to have very bad imbalance issues due to filter clogging due to condensation with my Moondrop Arias so I vouched to stay away from Moondrop. But now I hear that they released new filters that supposedly fix the issue. Has anyone tried them? Is it fixed? If the issue is really fixed I'd love to try the Starfields.

There isn't any on my starfield and it sounds amazing

Sep 25, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #6,364 of 11,979
Nothing like that is happening with my Starfield either. Or Blessing 2, but I can't use this one for very long because it's uncomfortable.

Sep 25, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #6,365 of 11,979
Anyone here tried both the Blessing 2's and the S8's? What are the major differences?

Sep 25, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #6,366 of 11,979
Just bought the lyre acoustics pansy (I think the kpe stock cables?) with 4.4mm and man, the Starfields literally just lit up. Compared to the stock cables, it definitely sounds much wider and everything is now more pronounced. Overall very happy with this $40 cable.
IMG_20200925_133020_368.jpg
Hey nice!! where did you find the cable? I need a couple more Lyre's.

Sep 26, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #6,369 of 11,979
What is the right replacement cable for Moondrop Blessing 2? I am trying to get a kbears cable from here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000292253573.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.3.18a21cffvhXHWT

There are two different 2-pin connections:
1) The standard 2-pin, which seems to have slightly longer pins than the stock cable.
2) The so called QDC TFZ connector, which seems to be the one used by Blessing 2.

I just hope someone can help me clarify this. Thanks a lot!

Sep 26, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #6,370 of 11,979
Never mind, seems like the TFZ connector is not going to work. I will stay with the standard 2 pin.

What is the right replacement cable for Moondrop Blessing 2? I am trying to get a kbears cable from here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000292253573.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.3.18a21cffvhXHWT

There are two different 2-pin connections:
1) The standard 2-pin, which seems to have slightly longer pins than the stock cable.
2) The so called QDC TFZ connector, which seems to be the one used by Blessing 2.

I just hope someone can help me clarify this. Thanks a lot!

Sep 27, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #6,371 of 11,979
yesterday I tested the moondrop s8, B2, qdc vx.
first the B2, coming from the ie8, this I must say is very bright, detailed and clear. Its like a transition from foggy to clear day. I can hear more details and the imaging, separation is very good. I think its mid centric? because I feel that the other is a bit recessed. Maybe I am wrong about this, I am not a pro reviewer and dont have the golden ear. fits perfectly to my ear.
Then the s8, this is the step up for B2. I think this is more balanced, with more high notes. Nothing really recessed and very revealing. the details and imaging like 1 level above the B2 but the bass is softer for the s8. Overall, I prefer the s8 over B2, since I can hear even more details. One thing is, the tone is quite thin. I wish it got more body, although the bass qty is enough for me. also fits perfectly to my ear.
3rd is the qdc anole vx. this is the bonus round for me, since they placed it on my sitting area, and I am also curious because of its pricing... I must say, hearing the vx after the s8, my feeling simply wow. the instrument detail, separation and imaging I think is above the s8. Maybe I am wrong, maybe because I saw the pricing and just biased to the qdc. But the feeling is like, when the first time you hear music using headphone/iem, moving from standard speaker. You can hear all the details I didn't hear before. In the end, I didn't test it too much, too afraid to use my rtx 3080 budget for this baby :sweat_smile:. The fit, it didn't snug as well as the s8, very funny since I think the s8 body is even bigger than the vx.
I also tried the inear 8 (forgot the complete name) This also like a step up from the 8 a bit, not quite the anole level, I didn't test it much. Also, I tried the dk3001 pro, but I never able to fit it to my ear.
That is all, sorry if I am wrong. Again, I am not a pro reviewer, I dont know any audio terms. I just write this based on my hearing experience and tried my best to describe it.
Next week, hopefully I can get to test either the monarch and clair before decide which one to buy. For now, I think I would like the s8.
Too bad I cant test the fiio fh7, they dont have demo unit for it.

Sep 27, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #6,373 of 11,979
20200927_105845.jpg

I just found out a face mask has three layers of different "damping materials" if you make a small roll/empty zylinder with one layer you can position it in the iem nozzle and have maybe a interesting improvement. :wink: Just an idea for dual use as now everybody has it :D Did a few tries on my moondrop kxxs and quite enjoying it with the blue layer.

Edit: The thin white layer works after another try best for me. Strip dimensions approx. 15x5mm. I dont know how to describe the change. Experiment yourself. I think it breaks resonances of high frequencies coming from metal body. But no idea if thats right. I pick up my JVC FDX1 next week. While waiting i had the inspiration already.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #6,375 of 11,979
I am interested in buying moondrop s8 but I am seeing news of illumination. What do you think is better? Should I wait and see?

Wait and see, also consider the B2 if you prefer DD bass.

Recently a CN channel made a tour on Moondrop's crib and it seems they measured the Illumination at 7:20 in this video:

The graph shows it'll be aggressive DF tuning similar to SSR (about 15dB pinna gain and flat bass), which can be a hit or miss depending on one's taste. Also, bear in mind this can be just a prototype, so let's not jump into conclusions yet. It'll be released soon, so soon enough we'll have more official infos to chime in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back