Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #3,946 of 12,002
have massdrop plus and looking to possibly upgrade to moondrop blessing.

any leads / comparisons? where to get blessing without customs (can only find it at aliexpress)

how does the blessing compare with Andromeda?

If you are in USA, you can wait for it to arrive on PenonAudio which is an authorized Murican distributor for Moondrop goods.

Sep 3, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #3,947 of 12,002
Thats what i have been doing (except on my lg g7) but is it really Ok for it to play continuously for such a long time?
My KXXS have improved considerably with 55 hours on them. After the first 4 hours I was thinking of sending them back considering they didn’t sound superior to my No. 3. Now I’m reconsidering and will more than likely keep them. I’m shooting for 120 hours and I’ll really sit down with them.

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #3,949 of 12,002
I just heard the Moondrop Kxxs, and it was very good. Better than the Pro. More bass, but more importantly, fuller sounding. An improvement in the tuning of the highs, as well. That’s the one to get imo.
Hmm seems like I get to keep the pro edition, I want more treble and less bass on the KPE, listening with stock cable tho, I'm planning to change to pure silver or even some cheaper silver-plated one.

Sep 3, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #3,950 of 12,002
For people who have ordered kxxs from CN -> EU countries: did you have to pay customs fees? How much %?

Is the kxxs a bad choice for people who don't want harsh treble? If so, what would be the best choice for an iem for someone who's treble sensitive. I'm also looking for closed cans along the same lines.

It would surprise me though, because I've read here and heard elsewhere that they're smooth, and that they're good for long listening sessions, though a few pages back I saw a graph showing spikes in 10 or 12-16 khz (and now same on @crinacle 's site), assuming I understand this correctly, the person said that he wanted to redo the measurements, I'm looking for this now. @WHO23 was the person of the graphs in the thread that I saw.

https://crinacle.com/2019/08/29/tanchjim-oxygen-unboxing/
https://crinacle.com/2019/08/26/moondrop-kxxs-unboxing/

I'm looking at these as well now and comparing the graphs they are quite similar, is it normal that the upper frequencies spike like this, or does it mean: extended or accentuated or emphasized, or even harsh, or further still sibilant treble?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #3,951 of 12,002
For people who have ordered kxxs from CN -> EU countries: did you have to pay customs fees? How much %?

Is the kxxs a bad choice for people who don't want harsh treble? If so, what would be the best choice for an iem for someone who's treble sensitive. I'm also looking for closed cans along the same lines.

It would surprise me though, because I've read here and heard elsewhere that they're smooth, and that they're good for long listening sessions, though a few pages back I saw a graph showing spikes in 10 or 12-16 khz (and now same on @crinacle 's site), assuming I understand this correctly, the person said that he wanted to redo the measurements, I'm looking for this now. @WHO23 was the person of the graphs in the thread that I saw.

I'm looking at these as well now and comparing the graphs they are quite similar, is it normal that the upper frequencies spike like this, or does it mean: extended or accentuated or emphasized, or even harsh, or further still sibilant treble?

Thanks

You good, the KXXS is pretty smooth in the mid range.

My friend who is treble sensitive as well heard the KXXS at canjam and liked them.

Your question is too generic, youre treble sensitve, we get that, but know nothing else.

There is a slight upper peakiness to the KXXS at times but it doesn't rear its head very often and will be barely audible for the majority of the time.

Stil do note these are trying for harmon target, meaning the mids are definitely not laid back or hidden or smothered over. They still exist depending on how truly mid sensitive you are.

Sep 3, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #3,952 of 12,002
You good, the KXXS is pretty smooth in the mid range.

My friend who is treble sensitive as well heard the KXXS at canjam and liked them.

Your question is too generic, youre treble sensitve, we get that, but know nothing else.

There is a slight upper peakiness to the KXXS at times but it doesn't rear its head very often and will be barely audible for the majority of the time.

Stil do note these are trying for harmon target, meaning the mids are definitely not laid back or hidden or smothered over. They still exist depending on how truly mid sensitive you are.

Hey

I thought treble was highs not mids. What sort of useful/relevant info should be included to make it as specific as possible? I just got the nighthawk hp, you're saying that the treble or highs are not recessed nor rolled off on kxxs (if I'm understanding you), I listen at lower side of the volume scale. Currently don't use an amp/dac but looking to get one later, monolith thx aaa, and or xduoo xd 05 plus and going to swap the op amp.

Wish I could show Spotify eq, if that would be useful, can't currently, but it's great, makes airpods sound great. But when I turn up the frequencies 12-16 kHz in vlc equaliser for example although I enjoy the sound there's detail add of certain sounds, though I don't like thinness or maybe it's called airyness (not sure if this word is correct, what I mean is thin sound), I like dense sounding music and somewhat distant like when you turn down the preamp, but I must say I do enjoy having the preamp high, so maybe it's just the fullness of bass and subbass, love clear forward vocals. Its that feeling like eardrums are being put under pressure under water or something or getting twisted I don't like.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #3,953 of 12,002
Treble is in the upper mids encroaching on high frequency.

It's a high tone in the scale of things but for audible listening is between the upper mid and lower HF

Don't spend so much on amp dac rn if you getting KXXS. You will get way more benefit out of upgrading your earphones.

A $100 amp dac combo from FiiO will do you well for a while.

Sep 3, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #3,954 of 12,002

Thanks

I can't answer about taxing things since i dont live in Europe and I dont have KXXS but I do have it older brother Kanas Pro, they are not treble sensitive, they are not even considered to be bright iem to me. A lot of people sometimes can't really know what is the exact frequency that bother them, easier to describe is divide into 3 section which are general bass-mids-trebles.
KP or KXXS dont suffer from bright trebles, they have sparkles with nice extension, boosted a little on 8khz is a normal to perceive sparkles, same with other iem even on TOTL iem.
what i heard from KP is just a little bit shouty (which some people explain them as sibilance or highs) but actually that on 3khz hump, and can be heard through female vocals on shouts, cellos, harmonica that reach that 3khz frequency especially in high volume.

While the graphic from crin mimic what I'm hearing about KP, that 16khz boost is a normal also, you wont hear any sibilance from 16khz. 16khz boost will be heard as "air" make perception of space, air to achieve bigger soundstage image.

going down from there, at 12khz is normally everyone still can hear that clearly, a very high note sparkles, extension of the cymbals, if these frequencies are boosted too much, it will make fatiguing. and about "Ssssss" sibilances, normaly created around 6khz thats why if you are looking on the graph of TOTL iems, alot have dips or a little dips on 3,6,12 khz but boosting on 2 khz for vocal, highmids, 4khz for adding details, 8khz for that sparkles, and 16 khz for air.

Sep 3, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #3,955 of 12,002
Everyone has different sensitivities to treble and upper mids. I’d say the Kanas is very well tuned from 2k on up. Polite even. It’s got some sparkle and air but is not fatiguing to me. It sounds natural without tilting too far into muffled or into bright territory.

Sep 4, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #3,956 of 12,002
I`m also treble sensitive @ 6.2-7.5kHz and no problems with KPE. And that upper "spike" is there for a reason - air and soundstage, which on KPE is exellent! :)

Sep 4, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #3,957 of 12,002

Thanks
These are new by NF Audio. Same price range I think, maybe a bit more expensive. I got a listen this weekend to both the Kxxs and these and I liked these.
Great timbre and (IMO) super comfy in comparison. 655699B1-6FC9-4E8A-A4C2-187A2D3346E1.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #3,958 of 12,002
Hey

I thought treble was highs not mids. What sort of useful/relevant info should be included to make it as specific as possible? I just got the nighthawk hp, you're saying that the treble or highs are not recessed nor rolled off on kxxs (if I'm understanding you), I listen at lower side of the volume scale. Currently don't use an amp/dac but looking to get one later, monolith thx aaa, and or xduoo xd 05 plus and going to swap the op amp.

Wish I could show Spotify eq, if that would be useful, can't currently, but it's great, makes airpods sound great. But when I turn up the frequencies 12-16 kHz in vlc equaliser for example although I enjoy the sound there's detail add of certain sounds, though I don't like thinness or maybe it's called airyness (not sure if this word is correct, what I mean is thin sound), I like dense sounding music and somewhat distant like when you turn down the preamp, but I must say I do enjoy having the preamp high, so maybe it's just the fullness of bass and subbass, love clear forward vocals. Its that feeling like eardrums are being put under pressure under water or something or getting twisted I don't like.

Thanks
Don't know if this'll help or confuse the heck out of you

(from Reddit)
g9wec2dwcql11.jpg

Sep 4, 2019 at 3:12 AM Post #3,959 of 12,002
Sep 4, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #3,960 of 12,002
I`m also treble sensitive @ 6.2-7.5kHz and no problems with KPE. And that upper "spike" is there for a reason - air and soundstage, which on KPE is exellent! :)
Maybe us 3 have same sensitivity are why we like the KPE response. Those are certainly part of my hot zone although it can go even further down in the treble area as 8k is pretty intense as well. I know because Fiio F9 Pro had a damn peak at 8k, and RE2000 at 7-8k. I remember back in the days, a lot of under $300 dynamic driver had harsh or peaky response, and generally some kind of fault to the tonal balanced of the response. And then Moondrop came...

I don't know how accurate the peaks that shows up on the graph are in the treble zone. The peak is basically coupler's peak, not really our personal canal's. If you look at the new GRAS high res coupler response, they filtered out the coupler peak as it is not all that accurate, and it's a property of the metal coupler material surface or it's resonance shifted due to insertion depth.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back