Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jul 17, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #3,631 of 12,007
IMO using sonic filters on single dynamic drivers is a pretty ****ty shortcut to not spend time on tuning the driver. None of my other great sounding dynamics use such solution, latest being No.3 which only has a large mesh to stop debris between the driver membrane and ear and sounds great. Crescent with the filter removed sounds horrendous, totally unlistenable.
What range do these foam generally reduce? Putting foam inside the silicone tip's bore space shouldn't effect the bass like foam tips do right?

Can we get various density of foam and shift the regions the foams attenuate in the spectrum?

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #3,632 of 12,007
What range do these foam generally reduce? Putting foam inside the silicone tip's bore space shouldn't effect the bass like foam tips do right?

Can we get various density of foam and shift the regions the foams attenuate in the spectrum?

I removed the filter screens on one of my pairs of the IT01s and it became a bit shouty so I used a tiny piece of open cell foam from a drywall sanding sponge to tame it a bit. It took me a few tries until I had the right size piece for the sound I wanted and I used them like that for a few months without any problems.
Just make sure its open cell foam and you should be good with a little trial and error.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #3,635 of 12,007
Would you give a word comparade to T2s? I mean, if do they aim at the same public, i have my eyes on these, since i had my eyes on crescent but didn't bought it because it's same FR as kanas and not actually cheap to buy out of curiosity, these seem more unique by FR.

The T2 and spaceship are quite different imo. Spaceship has a less prominent, warmer midrange and is more resilient towards sibilant recordings. Bass feels like it extends deeper on the Spaceship, also with more mid-bass presence. Treble on the T2 is more emphasized and cymbals, etc. have a more prominent attack and shimmer. Spaceship sounds tighter and more controlled though. Both have a good sound stage, but nothing groundbreaking. Spaceship is less intimate setting you further from the performance. Channel-to-channel imaging is smooth on both, but the T2 feels like a step up in terms of layering and separation. Spaceship overall is warmer and smoother with slightly less detail and texture. I think it sounds more natural but less technically proficient. It's probably closer to the T1 than the T2. They are fairly complimentary. Might be because I'm still in the honeymoon period, but I was enjoying the Spaceship more while comparing the two.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #3,636 of 12,007
I've been going back and forth between the Kxxs and the No.3 on my cowon p2 and the Kxxs is clearly better. Listening to Bob Marley & The Wailers - Live. The Kxxs sounds like I'm at the concert with tons of space around me, the No.3 Just sounds like it's in my head.
I haven't heard the No.3 yet but one of my favorite things about the KPEs is their holographic soundstage. It's not the widest or deepest but it feels like its all around you and makes you feel like you're in the room or concert hall with the artist. Their imaging and space between instruments in both depth and panning left to right are amazing.
I think you have to have an airtight seal to really hear what they are capable of producing though.

Jul 17, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #3,637 of 12,007
My KPE is now back to sounding normal after being dipping in alcohol and leaving in drawer for about 3weeks.

Directly compared to my isine10, moondrop really created something special. The kpe, with its speaker-like sound xter isn't left in the dust by the speed and resolution of the planar.

Isine = live concert
Kpe = floor standing speakers

Jul 17, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #3,641 of 12,007
Hello everyone
I want to get the KXXS because my BGVP DM6 don't have good dynamics across the sound spectrum, the bass, drums and pianos don't have good impact and attack to them and I think that is due to their BA drivers.

So if anyone can compare the dynamics of the kxxs to the dm6 or other BA iems that would be great!

Because of the lack of dynamism I tend to listen at loud volumes which is not good especially for iems.

I have the focal elex and the ultrasone signature studio so a comparison to these two is also more relatable.

Jul 17, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #3,642 of 12,007
I've been going back and forth between the Kxxs and the No.3 on my cowon p2 and the Kxxs is clearly better. Listening to Bob Marley & The Wailers - Live. The Kxxs sounds like I'm at the concert with tons of space around me, the No.3 Just sounds like it's in my head.

Thanks for the brief comparison, there was really a question between the Kxxs and No.3. The comments brought clarity to this doubt.

Jul 18, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #3,643 of 12,007
IMO using sonic filters on single dynamic drivers is a pretty ****ty shortcut to not spend time on tuning the driver. None of my other great sounding dynamics use such solution, latest being No.3 which only has a large mesh to stop debris between the driver membrane and ear and sounds great. Crescent with the filter removed sounds horrendous, totally unlistenable.

IMHO using sonic filters is part of tuning earphones.

Jul 18, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #3,644 of 12,007
IMHO using sonic filters is part of tuning earphones.
Sonic filters yes, cheap fabric in the nozzle that gets permanently damaged by moisture after a couple months is a huge no. Does the KXXS have the same thing under the filter mesh? (My LZ A4 has this problem with its best nozzle filter)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back