Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Mar 28, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #1,861 of 12,007
I promise this does not mess with treble or mids, but I do get stronger bass due to a perfect seal:

The tip of the IEM is barely recessed. I do hear better mids and treble like this.

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #1,862 of 12,007
I promise this does not mess with treble or mids, but I do get stronger bass due to a perfect seal:

The tip of the IEM is barely recessed. I do hear better mids and treble like this.
KPE actually improves from longer tips over edge but one needs proper tips to achieve same kind of seal compared to Your case.

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #1,863 of 12,007
I've had my KPE for three days now, and it's had about a total of 40 hours of burn in so far. While I'm much happier with the sound than I was out of the box (whether this is actual burn in or confirmation bias or just my brain adjusting to its sound signature is up for debate), my main complaint is...

The fit. For me, it's just too finicky so far for everyday use. I've tried all the stock tips and the SpinFit CP145 in M and L sizes. None of these feel secure enough in my ears, thanks for the length of the nozzles.

I plan to try the NewBee foams (as recommended by antdroid) and dual flange SpinFit next. I don't want to have to bother with modded tips, it's upsetting enough to me that none of the included tips make for a secure and comfortable fit with a reliable seal.

Mar 28, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #1,865 of 12,007
You arn't getting a good seal then. I have pleeenty of bass on my KPE and I am a basshead so I'm picky as hell. In fact the KPE with a little boost in the sub bass region makes my ears happy as heck. Talk about deep textured bass. Damn! In fact, they are the best bass IEMs i've ever heard and I have a lot of bass heavy ones in my past.

Mar 28, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #1,867 of 12,007
EDIT: added explanation
Sorry for the delay, I was interrupted last night.
It seems like the Crescent had the infamous condensation problem.
They were left at my doorstep for hours and when I opened the package it was wet.
Possibly packed in high humidity. I was surprised though that it took a full day to dry out.

I did intend to do a comparison with the KPE but I think I need to wait more to make sure the Crescent has fully recovered

EF807589-A4C9-4914-BEC0-3A61634D5D2D.png

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #1,868 of 12,007
Mar 28, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #1,869 of 12,007
Text to follow
Actually, when I generalize littlebit, this graph of crescent reminds me KZ ATE graph, but less "boosted" in both ends, otherwise peaks&valleys are pretty much in same place.

Mar 28, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #1,870 of 12,007
How's the original Kanas or KPE in terms of sound leakage? If it's not too noisy, it would be a better (and cheaper) “in public” option than my current IEM situation.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #1,871 of 12,007
Actually, when I generalize littlebit, this graph of crescent reminds me KZ ATE graph, but less "boosted" in both ends, otherwise peaks&valleys are pretty much in same place.

The frequency response above 5kHz is very strongly influenced by the resonances in the coupler, and with our simple tubes basically all IEMs will have very similar location of peaks and valleys (EDIT: with a specific coupler).
I have made different 3D printed couplers and chosen they all show different behavior in the upper frequency range.

What this plot shows is that bass and mids are not too much elevated.
Sub bass measurement is not reliable with my setup though.
The spike around 8kHz could be real, but I’d verify that with a listening test, running a frequency sweep.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #1,872 of 12,007
The frequency response above 5kHz is very strongly influenced by the resonances in the coupler, and with our simple tubes basically all IEMs will have very similar location of peaks and valleys.
I have made different 3D printed couplers and chosen they all show different behavior in the upper frequency range.
Hmmm... those I have measured so far, have clear differences (even with not 100% finished calibration). I use 1/3 smoothing which doesn`t smooth all those upper peaks/dips into very similar curve.
Phonograph graphs are good example how scaling and smoothing makes them look very similar.

Mar 29, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #1,873 of 12,007
The point is that the peaks and valleys in the upper frequency range in our measurements are very dependent on the coupler.
This is a measurement of the Crescent, same settings, same channel, only changing the coupler.
While the general shape up to 4k is similar (The yellow coupler has better sealing on the mic side) the upper range looks like it's from totally different IEMs. And you can't calibrate that out of the measurement.
Our measurements are great for us, but easy to misinterpret, especially by people who don't know the quirks of our setup.

1A7A7954-D333-4999-B06B-42CB86CE9959.png

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #1,874 of 12,007
My kanas is playing much louder on one side :frowning2:

Has anyone here dealt with this problem?

I opened a dispute but seller asked to send them back, wich is pricey where i live.

Don't know what to do...

Mar 29, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #1,875 of 12,007
My kanas is playing much louder on one side :frowning2:

Has anyone here dealt with this problem?

I opened a dispute but seller asked to send them back, wich is pricey where i live.

Don't know what to do...

Sorry, i was far from the thread, and it seems like the mentioned problem is normal? Anyway, i removed the grill by accident when I was trying to clean and the imbalance was gone... provably the inbalance is because of the screen on one side. Could be wax+humidity. So we may have a confirmation here.

Thing is, they are sounding much worse without the filter, i improvised the hifiman re-400 filter on the nozzle, but the sound is much worse still. Theble is fuzzy. So, any kind of advise to create a filter? I see @CoiL has done one, do you have a tutorial written in this thread?

I have a Kanas and not the pro, so i don't wish to tame the treble anyway. Aim is to keep as original as possible.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back