Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Mar 29, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #1,876 of 12,011
I received my Crescent yesterday and had a first listening session. In the beginning, I was extremely disappointed by the sound. It was like if the singer and the music is very far from me. So I thought that I would give it a second chance after burn-in. After 10 hours, I started to appreciate the sound but I don't think it will be pleasing to everyone: I would describe the sound as being sweet, easy to listen to with good medium and highs but very very thin. If you like warm sound, then this IEM is not for you. The bass is very very light and not punchy. Anyway, it's a new tuning to me which will allow me to appreciate my music differently
I have also ordered Kanas Pro from Ali at a very good price after reading good reviews about it. My DM6 is sometimes fatiguing, so I was looking for IEM easy to listen to. I hope that I will not be disappointed by the sound

Mar 29, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #1,877 of 12,011
The point is that the peaks and valleys in the upper frequency range in our measurements are very dependent on the coupler.
This is a measurement of the Crescent, same settings, same channel, only changing the coupler.
While the general shape up to 4k is similar (The yellow coupler has better sealing on the mic side) the upper range looks like it's from totally different IEMs. And you can't calibrate that out of the measurement.
Our measurements are great for us, but easy to misinterpret, especially by people who don't know the quirks of our setup.

Yes I understood very well what You said, even before You explained.
My question is - why don`t You stick with simple vinyl tube and certain distance of tip edge like most of us (Dayton iMM-6 users do)? It provides overall better comparing graphs with very similar results.
I could also do my own coupler with CNC but see no need as slight calibrating differences are also at play anyway (still show similar results though).
Only point to do special coupler for iMM-6 is when it is widely sold and available (maybe even free 2D/3D CAD/CAM drawings and fixed materials) and gives better resonance results, similar to more expensive and accurate measuring gear. But to get to that... hard to achieve. So, more simple for everybody to stay with simple solution that usually gives very similar results - C`mon, it`s ~30$ measuring setup, no need to expect wonders! :wink:

Mar 29, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #1,878 of 12,011
I received my Crescent yesterday and had a first listening session. In the beginning, I was extremely disappointed by the sound. It was like if the singer and the music is very far from me. So I thought that I would give it a second chance after burn-in. After 10 hours, I started to appreciate the sound but I don't think it will be pleasing to everyone: I would describe the sound as being sweet, easy to listen to with good medium and highs but very very thin. If you like warm sound, then this IEM is not for you. The bass is very very light and not punchy. Anyway, it's a new tuning to me which will allow me to appreciate my music differently
I have also ordered Kanas Pro from Ali at a very good price after reading good reviews about it. My DM6 is sometimes fatiguing, so I was looking for IEM easy to listen to. I hope that I will not be disappointed by the sound

Your description is the polar opposite of what mine (and others) sound like. Firstly you need to burn them in a lot longer than 10 hours. Secondly you are definaitly using a tip that is wholly unsuited to the Crescents! Im using a wide bore silicone - thin floppy tip - that give it warm rich mids and deep warm rich bass :)
Anyway please give them a lot more burn in and tip roll until you find the right tip for them :D
A phenomenal sounding IEM is in there waiting for you

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #1,879 of 12,011
Your description is the polar opposite of what mine (and others) sound like. Firstly you need to burn them in a lot longer than 10 hours. Secondly you are definaitly using a tip that is wholly unsuited to the Crescents! Im using a wide bore silicone - thin floppy tip - that give it warm rich mids and deep warm rich bass :)
Anyway please give them a lot more burn in and tip roll until you find the right tip for them :D
A phenomenal sounding IEM is in there waiting for you
I'm using the stock tips with them. The bore is sufficiently wide. I'll continue the burnin, but I am not expecting that the sound will drastically change. It's very far from being a warm sound like my DM6

Mar 29, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #1,880 of 12,011
I'm using the stock tips with them. The bore is sufficiently wide. I'll continue the burnin, but I am not expecting that the sound will drastically change. It's very far from being a warm sound like my DM6

Coolio, In that case I am 99% certain that you need different tips or they are broken -
I'll compare mine with the new tips I have on them presently with the stock tips and get back to you
To be fair though they are very different IEM to the DM6 but your description doesn't ring true to descriptions of myself and other with the Crescent.
Also, Im sure you know this, but for low end a good seal is essential

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #1,881 of 12,011
The point is that the peaks and valleys in the upper frequency range in our measurements are very dependent on the coupler.
This is a measurement of the Crescent, same settings, same channel, only changing the coupler.
While the general shape up to 4k is similar (The yellow coupler has better sealing on the mic side) the upper range looks like it's from totally different IEMs. And you can't calibrate that out of the measurement.
Our measurements are great for us, but easy to misinterpret, especially by people who don't know the quirks of our setup.

This is mainly due to changes in coupler length, you're getting the air column resonances: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Waves/opecol.html

Here is a video demonstrating how changing the coupler length moves the first peak: https://imgur.com/YAGfaz9

They don't seem to be as severe in real ears canals, probably because they scatter the treble energy a bit - but they do exist. Foam tips scatter their energy into a wider range even further, making these peaks even lower, so to get a fairly good sense of their location you can compare measurements with and without foam tips (Note that foam tips also tend to remove "air" i.e. frequencies above 10KHz)

You can find your canal resonance by going to https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/ and performing a few sine sweeps between 6KHz and 10KHz on an IEM with a fairly smooth treble response and a good amount of nozzle resonance dampening like the Crescent. My peak with it is at about 7KHz. (Be careful to do it at very low system volume, the tone generator is very loud no matter what volume you set on it!)

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #1,882 of 12,011

Crescent, with the right fitting tips is quite balanced, on the warm side and not at all like you’ve described. I wouldn’t rely on massive burn-in changes, no. Not with Crescent anyhow. But tips can alter things dramatically.
DM6. Pah. I found it on the colder side as it goes. Too sparkly and unreal. But certainly not warm. But, again, it must be down to tips. Just shows you how we all hear things differently.

Mar 29, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #1,883 of 12,011
Crescent, with the right fitting tips is quite balanced, on the warm side and not at all like you’ve described. I wouldn’t rely on massive burn-in changes, no. Not with Crescent anyhow. But tips can alter things dramatically.
DM6. Pah. I found it on the colder side as it goes. Too sparkly and unreal. But certainly not warm. But, again, it must be down to tips. Just shows you how we all hear things differently.

Good News! - I tried with the stock tips, the mediums - a bit to small for me and the sound was awful - so thin - sounded like a earphone from a $5 Xmas cracker.
THEN I put on the previous tips and the sound was superb - warm rich throughout - sounds Way better than their cost.
BUT they didn't sound quite right so i only moved the tips slightly forward and BOOM! - What a difference
This hobby never ceases to amaze, Amazing how different a sound can be from moving a tip slightly
So yes, the stock tips are dreadful :D

if I have another pair of the tips Im using Im happy to send you a set ?

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #1,885 of 12,011
I found what appears to be the Kanas Pro cable without the Moondrop logo for ~$15 during the current AliExpress sale. I have the Kanas and I've been looking for a 2.5mm version of the Kanas Pro cable for a lower price than Penon Audio for a while.
Here's the link:
US $14.70 72%OFF | NICEHCK MMCX/2Pin Interface 3.5/2.5mm Balanced 8 Core Copper Silver Mixed Cable For TRN V80 ZS10 AS10 CCA C10 C16 NICEHCK N3 M6 https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cKHXqUv6

-769588917-2119505759.jpg
XnLpnQh

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #1,886 of 12,011
I found what appears to be the Kanas Pro cable without the Moondrop logo for ~$15 during the current AliExpress sale. I have the Kanas and I've been looking for a 2.5mm version of the Kanas Pro cable for a lower price than Penon Audio for a while.
Here's the link:
US $14.70 72%OFF | NICEHCK MMCX/2Pin Interface 3.5/2.5mm Balanced 8 Core Copper Silver Mixed Cable For TRN V80 ZS10 AS10 CCA C10 C16 NICEHCK N3 M6 https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cKHXqUv6

XnLpnQh
thanks, i am getting 2.5mm for my kanas pro

Mar 29, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #1,887 of 12,011
Sorry, i was far from the thread, and it seems like the mentioned problem is normal? Anyway, i removed the grill by accident when I was trying to clean and the imbalance was gone... provably the inbalance is because of the screen on one side. Could be wax+humidity. So we may have a confirmation here.

Thing is, they are sounding much worse without the filter, i improvised the hifiman re-400 filter on the nozzle, but the sound is much worse still. Theble is fuzzy. So, any kind of advise to create a filter? I see @CoiL has done one, do you have a tutorial written in this thread?

I have a Kanas and not the pro, so i don't wish to tame the treble anyway. Aim is to keep as original as possible.
Until you find a replacement screen you can try a very small piece of open cell foam just big enough to be snug in the end of the nozzle tip. Worked nicely on my original IT01s after I removed the filter screens.

Mar 29, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #1,888 of 12,011
When I got the Aria and Crescents (x2) I was really disappointed as well, but then again it was the same with the kanas and kanas pro (x2), the stock tips from all of them were no good to me, get some different tips and try again.

The JVC spiral dots were quite good, the spinfit cp240s were good too, but some of the best were the cheapest ones i got from ebay lol

The Final Audio tips from the e5000 and e3000 were good too, why I got 2 of each just for the tips haha

Mar 29, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #1,889 of 12,011
Good News! - I tried with the stock tips, the mediums - a bit to small for me and the sound was awful - so thin - sounded like a earphone from a $5 Xmas cracker.
THEN I put on the previous tips and the sound was superb - warm rich throughout - sounds Way better than their cost.
BUT they didn't sound quite right so i only moved the tips slightly forward and BOOM! - What a difference
This hobby never ceases to amaze, Amazing how different a sound can be from moving a tip slightly
So yes, the stock tips are dreadful :D

if I have another pair of the tips Im using Im happy to send you a set ?
Which tips are you using?

Mar 29, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #1,890 of 12,011
Are you sure you are talking about DM6? it is a very warm IEM. One of the warmest I have ever heard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back