Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #1,156 of 11,980
I apologize if I'm missing something here, but afaik regular multimeters have trouble measuring very low resistances and are not accurate below 1 ohm. So when you're measuring the resistance of headphone cables, either the percentage error is very large or what you're reading is just the measurement error. For instance, with my multimeter, using the 400 ohm range, the accuracy is only +/-0.3 ohms if the meter is accurately calibrated, even though the resolution is +/-0.1 ohm.

Usually for sub 1 ohm measurements a special 4 wire ohmmeter is needed or indirect methods are used (eg. ammeter voltmeter method or the voltmeter and known resistor method)

Just my 2 cents, and my physics is getting rusty, so I apologize for any mistakes made.
Regular multimeter with 200 Ohm range and it measures pretty ok (compared it with Fluke multimeter). With regular multimeters You must measure multimeter leads resistance first and subtract it from result of measured data.
And atm accuracy is not so important as I just wish to know approximate difference in Ohm with Your cables.

Feb 19, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #1,157 of 11,980
Currently testing custom brass nozzle/filter rings (rollable) with different filter materials. Atm using 2-layer tea-bag paper :D
9939700_l.jpg

Will "phase grind" those rings into "trompet" shape to reduce possible resonances.

Feb 19, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #1,158 of 11,980
Regular multimeter with 200 Ohm range and it measures pretty ok (compared it with Fluke multimeter). With regular multimeters You must measure multimeter leads resistance first and subtract it from result of measured data.
And atm accuracy is not so important as I just wish to know approximate difference in Ohm with Your cables.

Accuracy values listed above are calculated after lead resistance compensation.

I agree though, absolute values aren't that important when doing comparisons. Fair enough I guess :)

Feb 19, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #1,159 of 11,980
O_o ...are You bass-head? Crecent already has too much mid-bass imo (according to graphs).
But I agree, if You want more "slam", get regular Kanas.

Btw, are You sure You are having good fit and right tips with crescent?

I wouldn't say I'm a bass-head, I hate too much bass as much as I hate too little. I just like drums and bass guitars lines to be as audible and well defined as the rest of the instruments. For example I can't listen to Sony N3 for too long cause I find it too bassy, I don't like the F9 Pro either cause I find it too lean, many call it well defined bass or hard hitting when needed but I struggle to hear all the bass notes when 5 other instruments in the upper range are clearly defined. Bass guitars should be part of the song, not just some filler noise. I think people just hate bass guitarists. The right amount of bass for me is something starting at the level of FH5 up to the level of E4000,

Feb 19, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #1,160 of 11,980
Out of curiosity, has any KPE's owner also gotten one side suddenly getting quieter and then after a while it back sounding normal again? I posted my problem on reddit some time ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...est_iem_problem_that_i_got_can_anyone_relate/

The best reply that I got:

Here's the video when the problem shows up:

Dude, it's getting annoying. Today I couldn't enjoy it because of the channel imbalance so I need to put it to rest so this imbalance can go away (probably due to moisture). Probably I'm going to buy some UV dryer dehumidifier or silica gel. But since I didn't see any report about it I think I'm the only one who got this problem. Unlucky :/

I Believe this is a common issue with this particular IEM, there are large number of posts on Moondrop’s Chinese forum reporting this channel imbalance problem.

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #1,161 of 11,980
I wouldn't say I'm a bass-head, I hate too much bass as much as I hate too little. I just like drums and bass guitars lines to be as audible and well defined as the rest of the instruments. For example I can't listen to Sony N3 for too long cause I find it too bassy, I don't like the F9 Pro either cause I find it too lean, many call it well defined bass or hard hitting when needed but I struggle to hear all the bass notes when 5 other instruments in the upper range are clearly defined. Bass guitars should be part of the song, not just some filler noise. I think people just hate bass guitarists. The right amount of bass for me is something starting at the level of FH5 up to the level of E4000,

Could you list some tracks where you hear that?

Feb 19, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #1,162 of 11,980
Bass was gargantuan on the Crescent with stock tips and more neutral with Spirals, though still in excess of neutral, in a nice way. You can hear it with solo piano played in the lower register. More thickness and weight than is true. For me if there is a flaw in the Crescent it is a tendency to splashiness and overlit trebles which shows in crash symbol hits and other ways, and a less than laser focus overall. But again, how much can you expect for $30. Great little piece.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #1,163 of 11,980
Bass was gargantuan on the Crescent with stock tips and more neutral with Spirals, though still in excess of neutral, in a nice way. You can hear it with solo piano played in the lower register. More thickness and weight than is true. For me if there is a flaw in Crescent it is a tendency to splashiness and overlit trebles which shows in crash symbol hits and other ways. But again, how much can you expect for $30.
is it tight bass?

Feb 19, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #1,165 of 11,980
I Believe this is a common issue with this particular IEM, there are large number of posts on Moondrop’s Chinese forum reporting this channel imbalance problem.

Well, at least I'm not alone on this, haha. Since the problem comes and goes I think if I send it back to China there's a big chance they'll measure it and see it's "ok" and return it to me since they won't cover humidity problems, also shipping it back to China it's going to be at least $20 so I think I'll invest this money in a dehumidifier drybox instead.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #1,166 of 11,980
Well, at least I'm not alone on this, haha. Since the problem comes and goes I think if I send it back to China there's a big chance they'll measure it and see it's "ok" and return it to me since they won't cover humidity problems, also shipping it back to China it's going to be at least $20 so I think I'll invest this money in a dehumidifier drybox instead.

what I do is, put a small package of silica gel inside every carrying iem pouch. you can buy pack of 50s for around $5

Feb 20, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #1,167 of 11,980
Today morning it was around 0 degrees and slight rain, walked about 3km to work with KP in my ears. When I got inside and took them out, I noticed some moisture on nozzle metal edges.
Haven`t had imbalance issues so far but seems those magnesium alloy shells are very sensitive to temperature and when human ear-canal temperature is noticeably higher, it will cause condensation.

Edit:

Been trying different nozzle filter materials and 2-layer tea-bag paper with 3 to 5 very thin needle holes sounds pretty darn great... without any vent mods. My unit is around 90+h "burn-in" atm.
Need to find little thinner "filter paper" to achieve same without holes or only 1 hole and will try some other thin fabrics soon.

Edit2:

I think I just hit a sweetspot - 2 layers of nylon fabric with 1 layer tea-bag paper in middle.
Bass/percussion hits tad tighter, soundstage is open airy and clean, cymbals and contrabass strings have better micro-details and even vocals seem tinybit more foward.
I love this KPE! ;P

Going to get Dayton iMM-6 soon and measure what my ears like.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #1,168 of 11,980
Any chance You have multimeter to measure both cable impedance? My stock KPE measures 0.8 Ohm why I`m thinking making better lower impedance cable (around 0.3 Ohm).
If Your 16-core measures around 0.2-0.3 Ohm, I might leave that plan if You don`t hear difference. Though, how much is Your source gear output impedance? I have it very low, under 0.5 Ohm.

I did the measurements: the stock KPE cable got the same impedance as the 16 core copper Kinboofi cable, 0.3 ohm.

This is the 16 core copper cable I own:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kin...049.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.43284c4d0oDNvS

Feb 20, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #1,169 of 11,980
I did the measurements: the stock KPE cable got the same impedance as the 16 core copper Kinboofi cable, 0.3 ohm.

This is the 16 core copper cable I own:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kin...049.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.43284c4d0oDNvS
Hmmm... wonder if my KP cable has bad solderings (unlikely as L/R/G all measured 0.8 Ohm) and with same multimeter my IT01 cable measures 0.2 Ohm.
But that measuring You did shows why You hear no difference in sound between those cables, they both are more than enough good for KP :wink:
I need to test my KP with other multimeter (Fluke) just to be sure. Will soon get 2-pin connectors for DIY cable and hear myself if there is difference between my KP 0.8 Ohm and lower impedance cable. If there is, then that could explain somewhat slight differences some KP owners are hearing.

Feb 20, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #1,170 of 11,980
Just got the KPE from Shenzhen audio on Amazon. It took like 1.5 weeks shipping.. wow!. Very fast. The KPE has a tuning I was hoping for. I crank the sub bass on these, pretty much leave everything else flat. The cable is super nice, I love it. I also own the DM6 and the stock cable with those sucks compared. Describing the difference between the KPE and the DM6.. wow, thats a pretty big difference. I can turn the KPE up about 2x louder than the DM6 because of the flat tuning. I'd say mids are more forward on the KPE, but not drastic. No midbass bump, thank god. I hate midbass because it completely interferes with mids.

I like how these respond to EQ as well. Very tunable.

I do not like the size of the ear tubes. They are pretty large but with foam tips, im ok.

The sound signature? Sounds exactly like JBL studio monitors. Huh, how about that! Flat but detailed and spacious. I can literally play a track and swap the KPE in and out of my ears sitting in the sweet spot of the JBLs at my recording desk and detect NEARLY NO TONAL CHANGE. I have actually never heard IEMs that can do that, or even close.

Dynamic drivers and BAs have really different sound signatures. It's nice to own both actually.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back