Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jan 17, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #496 of 11,982
Out of curiosity, how's your KPE aging, guys? I've noticed mine isn't that shiny anymore and the top is getting kind of a matte finish. (1 month of usage)

My Kpe is probably the same as yours. I speculated that the cause could be due to oxidation and its slowly spreading over the entire iem (in my case). I took the opportunity to contact the seller and well, even the manufacturer doesn't know anything about it, according to the seller. I just hope it isn't anything serious and that i maybe wrong about the housing being oxidized lol.
Guys, You need to polish them every moment Your DAP is charging and say: "Myyyyy Preeeescioooouuuuussss!" :D
giphy.gif

3Kgx7Qw.jpg

3Kgx7Qw

3Kgx7Qw

Any possible solutions would be appreciated.

How are You holding them when not listening? By pics seems like You stuff them in pocket or something :S

Jan 17, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #497 of 11,982
My KPE isn't like that yet but it doesn't look like when I got it out of the box, like a mirror. I'd say it got more blurry on the right side than the left.
I think it's normal tbh, air, sun, fingerprint, skin oils, weather, etc... eventually, it'll age at some degree. That was the reason I was looking for something similar to this case from CA some time ago:

tyoMIpR.png

https://campfireaudio.com/shop/ca-mesh-iem-bag/

Unfortunately, the shipping was too expensive to my country then I've sewn a similar one but it doesn't have this cord which you get a better way to secure it. Leaving the KPE alone in a case I was kinda worried about getting some scratching on the metal when it "shakes".

I'm definitely not a fan of this finishing in a practical way, lol.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #498 of 11,982
You can get similar pocket from jewelery shop :wink:

Jan 17, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #499 of 11,982
I keep them in a case when not in use. I read somewhere in the chinese forums and i wasn't the only one experiencing this problem. Not too sure if mirror polished iems like the Andromeda S and Atlas undergo a similar thing, pretty curious though lol.

I'll just leave it as it is for now and see if there will be any significant changes. The sound is unaffected as far as my ears can tell. And yes, the problem is on both sides and i live in a tropical region.

Jan 17, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #500 of 11,982
...and i live in a tropical region.
There`s Your answer :wink:
Only polished/chrome IEM I`ve had is KZ ED9 and didn`t get any wearing from it. Maybe different metal properities though.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #502 of 11,982
You can get similar pocket from jewelery shop :wink:

But the good thing it's already split into two compartments, no need to mod/sew. Also, the KPE already comes with this pocket/bag that you find in a jewelry shop haha.

I keep them in a case when not in use. I read somewhere in the chinese forums and i wasn't the only one experiencing this problem. Not too sure if mirror polished iems like the Andromeda S and Atlas undergo a similar thing, pretty curious though lol.

I'll just leave it as it is for now and see if there will be any significant changes. The sound is unaffected as far as my ears can tell. And yes, the problem is on both sides and i live in a tropical region.

At least definitely the same fingerprint magnet:

Jan 17, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #503 of 11,982
Reminds me of those zinc keycaps, I would return it / file warranty.
Personally I do not care one bit about it wearing out as it doesn`t affect sound. And for protecting that shine, using protective polish compound once a while is also not an issue.

Jan 17, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #505 of 11,982
....Not too sure if mirror polished iems like the Andromeda S and Atlas undergo a similar thing, pretty curious though lol.

The Campfire IEMs have solid stainless steel bodies, some even forged, which makes the surface a good bit harder.
In any case, you can polish them without having to worry about removing a coating.

On the Kanas I am not surprised that they use a cast housing, it is a cost effective production method.
But in your photo it looks as if the SS coating is very thin! I would hope that this is an exception and others have thicker coating, but I'll treat mine more carefully now.

I'd still ask for a warranty exchange if I were you. At least try and see what the dealer suggests.

Cheers and good luck!

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #506 of 11,982
I think my KPE'S were one of the first sold and still appear as new.

Jan 17, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #510 of 11,982
Looks like the plating is crap, seen this too many times ordering watch parts from Chinese factories. Salt from sweat is usually the culprit on waerable parts. Not much you can do. Works for me though cause I liked the regular Kanas unplated brushed finish anyway so I was planning to use my watch refinishing tools to give it a brushed finish anyway. If it gets really bad, you can give it a brushed finish with a watch refinishing pad or even a scotch brite. Practice with another part first cause it takes little bit of practice to keep the lines paralel and not make a total mess. Lay the pad on a table and drag the part across it in one direction keeping the strokes paralel. If you want a good polishing paste Simichrome 390050 All Metal Polish is good stuff, got better results than jewelers rouge or diamond paste. I use it on all my watches.
Don't forget to tape all the vent holes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back