Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #226 of 11,982
How does this even work. Was I supposed to wear a certain headphone, bud or iem while listening to the demo? Or, perhaps play it on the home theater system or my desktop speakers? No matter what, I will be hearing what I am listening with...

It wasnt meant to compare quality of those 2 iems literally, just to get a glimpse of their sound signature, booster area, a bit of soundstage comparison and tonality. Use neutral balance monitor headphone or iem

Jan 6, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #227 of 11,982
How does this even work. Was I supposed to wear a certain headphone, bud or iem while listening to the demo? Or, perhaps play it on the home theater system or my desktop speakers? No matter what, I will be hearing what I am listening with...
Or use studio neutral monitors (speakers) like jbl lsr 305/308

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #228 of 11,982
Totally right, you will be hearing your system, but I really like this test, as it gives me an impression of relative differences.
I clearly prefer the first IEM, as it is clearer and smoother compared to the second one, which sounds tinny and thin to me.
Listened to through the iPad-Chord Mojo-Pinnacle P1
Not the best IEMs for sure, but this chain shows very clear differences between the 2 IEMs.
Now waiting for my KPEs to arrive, should be a few days only!

Jan 6, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #229 of 11,982
Jan 6, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #230 of 11,982
Since people usually say digital sound for stuff they find too bright for their preference, I have a hunch that Kanas Pro probably won't impress you either as they are not a warm sounding ('analogue') IEM. Still waiting for the local distributor to carry IT01S myself...

Yep I think you're right: my ideal IEM is warm/'balanced'. I'm liking the IT01S less with each passing day. Never mind, the search continues :)

Jan 6, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #231 of 11,982
I will have to test that out and report back. If you have certain tracks in mind, let me know. I’ve tried some Gojira, Metallica, Anthrax and the bass sounds good but I didn’t specifically listen for the toms.

For example this one, should be timestamped at 1:02:00 . I was listening today with my F9 Pro and it's a mess, can barely tell what's what in the low end. It has regular drums, taiko drums and a well defined bass line. With my E4000 I can clearly distinguish the regular drums from the taiko drums and different toms, the bass guitar melody is also clear and nicely defined. All 7 instruments are well separated, clear and present and the voice is not sibilant. How do you think KP performs?

Jan 6, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #232 of 11,982
I'm interested in something as far as the kanas pro is concerned. Ive been looking for a stable mate for my zx300+ex1000 combo, and kept hearing andromeda was where I should go. Possibly because of my own indecision I lucked out, I ordered the kanas pro during the holidays and am awaiting shipment. But, heres my question, how exactly are they the dynamic version of the andromeda as some have stated? Because I keep hearing the kpe is similar to the ex1000, some stating "better", but, ive never heard anyone say the ex1000 was similar to the andromeda, unless I'm forgetting something, which happens( I work alot and have 2 kids under 6). Anyway, just looking for more info on kpe compared to andromeda I suppose, will happily post my impressions once I have some time with the kpe. But, glad I found out about moondrop for sure,that dual electrostatic tweeter iem is intriguing for sure.

Jan 6, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #233 of 11,982
Yep I think you're right: my ideal IEM is warm/'balanced'. I'm liking the IT01S less with each passing day. Never mind, the search continues :)
To be honest almost all IEMs I've tried with DLC/Carbon/Graphene and also Metal-based coated drivers have these similar v-shapey bright-ish signatures with the standout exception of Periodic Be which is among one of the most 'analogue' phones I've tried with the caveat of a rather small soundstage. I think you might find either Be or Final Audio E5000 more to your liking if that's what you're looking for with E5000 being more laid back and have bigger soundstage than Be.

As for Moondrop stuff. Haven't tried too many of their phones (only Liebesleid, KPE, and Aria), but overall all three sound similar enough, probs their house tuning. Aria is the warmest of the bunch with safer highs than KPE but still on the brighter side of neutral than really neutral to my ears.

Jan 7, 2019 at 1:10 AM Post #234 of 11,982
For example this one, should be timestamped at 1:02:00 . I was listening today with my F9 Pro and it's a mess, can barely tell what's what in the low end. It has regular drums, taiko drums and a well defined bass line. With my E4000 I can clearly distinguish the regular drums from the taiko drums and different toms, the bass guitar melody is also clear and nicely defined. All 7 instruments are well separated, clear and present and the voice is not sibilant. How do you think KP performs?

I'm also a fan of Wagakki Band and the KPE has yet to fail me whenever i listen to their songs. Clear, well separated, sibilance-free and engaging is all i can say.

Jan 7, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #235 of 11,982
I'm interested in something as far as the kanas pro is concerned. Ive been looking for a stable mate for my zx300+ex1000 combo, and kept hearing andromeda was where I should go. Possibly because of my own indecision I lucked out, I ordered the kanas pro during the holidays and am awaiting shipment. But, heres my question, how exactly are they the dynamic version of the andromeda as some have stated? Because I keep hearing the kpe is similar to the ex1000, some stating "better", but, ive never heard anyone say the ex1000 was similar to the andromeda, unless I'm forgetting something, which happens( I work alot and have 2 kids under 6). Anyway, just looking for more info on kpe compared to andromeda I suppose, will happily post my impressions once I have some time with the kpe. But, glad I found out about moondrop for sure,that dual electrostatic tweeter iem is intriguing for sure.
KP is not similar to the EX1000, who said that?
KP has neutral and smooth as a butter mids, EX1000 is splashy and unnatural

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 4:13 AM Post #236 of 11,982

If you're looking for a similar sound to Andromeda then I would recommend something other than kpe. It's been almost a year now since I sold my Andromeda but it had a really smooth and "airy" sound in the upper region. Also I would say the Andromeda tuning is warmer relative to kpe. I should note that I used to listened with a Mojo as Andromeda is really picky with output impedance. May I suggest you try another single dd by the name of Intime Sora. I think Sora sounds more closer to Andromeda than kanas pro.

At first I thought Sora and kpe had a similar sound signature. As I listened more and compared them I found the following between them:
Sora
* more bass
* fuller sounding
* vocals slightly more forward

KPE
* brighter sounding
* female vocals sounds thinner
* more treble extension

Listened with:
* LG V35 > HibyMusic > Mojo
* Amy Winehouse - Back to Black album (flac)
* Scorpion - Gold Ballads album (flac)
* KPE with spiral dot tips
* Sora with Sony silicone tips

I found both very enjoyable to listen to but prefer kpe over Sora as it suites my taste more.

Jan 7, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #237 of 11,982
As I posted the link to the video in this thread too I repost my post from another thread:

Just saw in Hawaiibadboys video channel that #1 was iBasso and #2 the Moondrop.

Well that makes such comparisons useless for me as listening to this song (in its HiRes version) via my Kanas Pro sounds nowhere near to #2 in the comparison. Even more so it sounds almost like a twin of #1.

Assuming that neither my AE dealer sent me an IT01s in a KP shell nor that Hawaiibadboy had messed up #1 and #2 the only explanation for this I can think of is the use of a different source file. There are different masters / remasters of Grateful Dead records out there all sounding a bit different ...

In the end mbwilson111 being sceptical is right.

Jan 7, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #238 of 11,982
As I posted the link to the video in this thread too I repost my post from another thread:

Just saw in Hawaiibadboys video channel that #1 was iBasso and #2 the Moondrop.

Well that makes such comparisons useless for me as listening to this song (in its HiRes version) via my Kanas Pro sounds nowhere near to #2 in the comparison. Even more so it sounds almost like a twin of #1.

Assuming that neither my AE dealer sent me an IT01s in a KP shell nor that Hawaiibadboy had messed up #1 and #2 the only explanation for this I can think of is the use of a different source file. There are different masters / remasters of Grateful Dead records out there all sounding a bit different ...

In the end mbwilson111 being sceptical is right.
wow, that recording is completely off then

Jan 7, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #239 of 11,982
wow, that recording is completely off then
I think EARS is coloring the sound way too much..
Maybe some EQ correction could help (similar what clavin does)

Jan 7, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #240 of 11,982
My KPEs arrived today and I had a short listen before heading to work.

Impressions:
Really deep and quite strong bass, airy, detailed and open but without any harshness, mids neutral, not forward but also not recessed.

The nozzle is quite big, stretches the MandarinEs Symbio W a bit, making them a little big for me.

Sound seems a big step up from the Pinnacle P1.

Now burning in at home

Users who are viewing this thread

Back