Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #256 of 11,979
The motherload. My 11.11 items came. :ksc75smile:
Don't expect impressions until the weekend when I start doing tests on them. I need to keep them sterile for now.
A8 is beautiful.
ZG5rlfE.jpg

WDf5We0.jpg

LnRZgSB.jpg

vhVQjlJ.jpg

61Ebf7V.jpg

DZL78Hf.jpg

Jan 7, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #257 of 11,979
I didn't watch the video but having now both I can say IT01s is v-shaped with mid bass focus in the lows whereas KP is neutralish with sub-bass focus in the lows which is exactly what graphs are showing. Treble and bass detail are more upfront in the IT01s whereas they require more listening attention in the KP where the midrange is the star of the show. I have 350+ hours on KP and only a few hours on IT01s but I feel this is a quite final assessment. Technically they seem to me to be on par but we'll see how this fares when IT01s has more hours. I like both.

How about soundstage wise, detail retrieval, depth, clarity, layering and toning? Technical specs always on top of my priority as boosting can always done with EQ

Jan 7, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #258 of 11,979
KP is not similar to the EX1000, who said that?
KP has neutral and smooth as a butter mids, EX1000 is splashy and unnatural

Maybe its because so many compared the 2 that my brain equated that to "similar". Must just be the dynamic driver then. I really don't hear the ex1000 the same,as you, because it doesnt sound unnatural or splashy at all to me, and I use them near daily for 1.5 years already. But, theres so many variants, and the fit/seal play a massive role in that in ear. Also some are prone to hearing discomfort in the ex1ks treble spike, so I get why so many dislike them. Anyway, im glad the kpe isnt similar honestly, I dont want similar , I want another great dynamic with a different voicing, so still, I believe I made the correct choice. I'm really hoping they arrive this week, but dhl has no update at all. Since we are talking comparison s with other DD, has anyone compared the kpe to the beyer xelento? That was another iem I was considering a while back, but that price tag dissuaded me. Honestly, if this kpe hits the spot, I will gain alot of trust in moondrop and continue to spend more for higher end products thru them.

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #259 of 11,979
Maybe its because so many compared the 2 that my brain equated that to "similar". Must just be the dynamic driver then. I really don't hear the ex1000 the same,as you, because it doesnt sound unnatural or splashy at all to me, and I use them near daily for 1.5 years already. But, theres so many variants, and the fit/seal play a massive role in that in ear. Also some are prone to hearing discomfort in the ex1ks treble spike, so I get why so many dislike them. Anyway, im glad the kpe isnt similar honestly, I dont want similar , I want another great dynamic with a different voicing, so still, I believe I made the correct choice. I'm really hoping they arrive this week, but dhl has no update at all. Since we are talking comparison s with other DD, has anyone compared the kpe to the beyer xelento? That was another iem I was considering a while back, but that price tag dissuaded me. Honestly, if this kpe hits the spot, I will gain alot of trust in moondrop and continue to spend more for higher end products thru them.
the voicing is different, you will like them, put some hours on them before you start the critical listening

Jan 8, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #261 of 11,979
@hemipowered007
Mine showed up at my doorstep without much of a warning, according to DHL they were still in customs. Hope you’ll also get a surprise delivery soon and share your impressions! :)
@DynamicEars
Had some time to compare with my pinnacle P1 and Audioquest Nightowl. What really stands out with the KPE is the separation, detail and clarity. Every element of the music is so clearly defined it’s astonishing for me! I listened to Diana Krall “All or nothing at all” and every element, voice, bass, piano etc almost has it’s own space, is crystal clear yet natural.
Switching to the P1 or even more so the NightOwls, the music becomes darker, warmer, and muddier. After adjusting to the sound I still like the NightOwls, but they strongly focus on the emotion of the music and details are much harder to identify.

I was thinking of how to describe the differences and came up with a landscape.
The KPEs are like that landscape in a bright, clear, slightly warm and soft light after sunrise. Not cold, not sharp, but everything is in clear light with every detail clearly visible. A rock, a tree, a hill, clear sky with crisp clouds...
The P1 is like dusk, warmer, darker, getting harder to distinguish the elements and details, and the Nightowl shows the same even darker, maybe sunset, dark shadows wihich make it harder to distinguish elements but creating a special atmosphere, one that goes well with a glass of Whisky :)

I really lile the KPEs, they literally show me things I am seeing/hearing for the first time in this clarity.

For information - I am using the KPEs with Chord Mojo

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #262 of 11,979
@hemipowered007
Mine showed up at my doorstep without much of a warning, according to DHL they were still in customs. Hope you’ll also get a surprise delivery soon and share your impreasions! :)
@DynamicEars
Had some time to compare with my pinnacle P1 and Ausioquest Nightowl. What really stands out with the KPE is the separation, detail and clarity. Every element of the music is so clearly defined it’s astonishing for me! I listened to Diana Krall “All or nothing at all” and every element, voice, bass, piano etc almost has it’s own space, is crystal clear yet natural.
Switching to the P1 or even more so the NightOwls, the music becomes darker, warmer, and muddier. After adjusting to the sound I still like the NightOwls, but they strongly focus on the emotion of the music and details are much harder to identify.

The KPEs are like that landscape in a bright, clear, slightly warm and soft light after sunrise. Not cold, not sharp, but everything is in clear light with every detail clearly visible. A rock, a tree, a hill, clear sky with crisp clouds...
The P1 is like dusk, warmer, darker, getting harder to distinguish the elements and details, and the Nightowl shows rhe same even darker, maybe sunset, dark shadows wihich make it harder to distinguish elements but creating a special atmosphere, one that goes well with a glass of Whisky :)

I really lile the KPEs, they literally show me things I am seeing/hearing for the first time in this clarity.

it is amazing how they can be so musical and detailed at the same time

Jan 8, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #263 of 11,979
Jan 8, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #264 of 11,979
@hemipowered007
Mine showed up at my doorstep without much of a warning, according to DHL they were still in customs. Hope you’ll also get a surprise delivery soon and share your impressions! :)
@DynamicEars
Had some time to compare with my pinnacle P1 and Audioquest Nightowl. What really stands out with the KPE is the separation, detail and clarity. Every element of the music is so clearly defined it’s astonishing for me! I listened to Diana Krall “All or nothing at all” and every element, voice, bass, piano etc almost has it’s own space, is crystal clear yet natural.

The P1 is like dusk, warmer, darker, getting harder to distinguish the elements and details, and the Nightowl shows the same even darker, maybe sunset, dark shadows wihich make it harder to distinguish elements but creating a special atmosphere, one that goes well with a glass of Whisky :)

Thank you for your impressions! another plus point for Moondrop KPE for me. From my gathered information i assume KPE is clearer than IT01s but still natural not too dry, and you described it well enough. I also on pop, pop-jazz, jazz, blues things, so i can believe in your impressions so far.
How about soundstage?

Jan 8, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #265 of 11,979
Thank you for your impressions! another plus point for Moondrop KPE for me. From my gathered information i assume KPE is clearer than IT01s but still natural not too dry, and you described it well enough. I also on pop, pop-jazz, jazz, blues things, so i can believe in your impressions so far.
How about soundstage?

Wrong assumption IMO. I shouldnl't say anything since I'm not allowed to speak about IT01s before I've got the mandatory 200 hours of burn-in on them but I'll nonetheless say that when I move from KP to IT01s I am struck by increased perceived clarity and I feel it's a step up but when I move again to KP I don't feel I am stepping down If this makes any sense. I think both have great clarity.

Jan 8, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #266 of 11,979
Wrong assumption IMO. I shouldnl't say anything since I'm not allowed to speak about IT01s before I've got the mandatory 200 hours of burn-in on them but I'll nonetheless say that when I move from KP to IT01s I am struck by increased perceived clarity and I feel it's a step up but when I move again to KP I don't feel I am stepping down If this makes any sense. I think both have great clarity.

So i guess theyre really on par at same price, and from your statement, you jump from KPE to IT01s you got feel IT01s is clearer (maybe perceived by V shaped), and go back to KPE you didnt feel stepping down because its still clear, only KPE is more balanced, not as fun v shaped IT01s?

What is you current conclusion between two at this moment? I do believe in burn in to loosen tightness, so harshness will be gone, bass going to be tighter etc. but IMHO sound signature wont be much different.
what about technical abilities? soundstage, depth, layering, detail retrieval beside their on par clarity? These are something you cant achieve by EQ ing

Thanks!

Jan 8, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #267 of 11,979
So i guess theyre really on par at same price, and from your statement, you jump from KPE to IT01s you got feel IT01s is clearer (maybe perceived by V shaped), and go back to KPE you didnt feel stepping down because its still clear, only KPE is more balanced, not as fun v shaped IT01s?

What is you current conclusion between two at this moment? I do believe in burn in to loosen tightness, so harshness will be gone, bass going to be tighter etc. but IMHO sound signature wont be much different.
what about technical abilities? soundstage, depth, layering, detail retrieval beside their on par clarity? These are something you cant achieve by EQ ing

Thanks!

Agreeing with all your suppositions and statements.

I don't have enough imagination to to truly comment on "soundstage" and "depth" but I think it's great on both. As for the rest, it's too early and I haven't listened enough to IT01s but I am pretty certain it'll be at least as good, perhaps even better, more definitive comments on that after the 200 hours and some listening time.

Jan 8, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #269 of 11,979
good guy bad audio reviews put the KP on his top 5 list, the IT01s was out of it because "it has some weirdness in the mids"

That list changes drastically every month. I think only the DM6 and DMG has managed to stay on it consistently. Still a good sign to be able to be on the list though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back