Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Feb 28, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #1,261 of 11,988
O
How is the technical abilities compared to KP? soundstage, width and depth, clarity? is it "needed" to get crescent if you already have KP as daily driver? I was telling myself not to buy anymore iems but that value price of crescent, ****, C10 really bugging me everyday

My view: technical abilities take second place to enjoyment every time. And enjoyment, of course, is personal. I feel KP may have technical edge. But not by much.
Soundstaging is possibly marginally better than Crescent - and the width, depth probably too over burn in. But it depends on so many factors too: source, tips, stage of burn in etc. That said, the differences do not make it necessarily more enjoyable.
Put it this way. I’m reaching for Crescent more than KP at the moment. Could be curiosity, new toy. I’m finding the Crescents more even across the fq, vocals more enjoyable and less need to lower volume. I guess I’m saying I’m finding Crescent more natural. Which I know is odd, given the price point and dull, attached cable. But that’s how it is.
Your dilemma. Well, for £21 - what I paid - it’s hardly a dilemma, surely? And if you don’t like one or other, you sell. Simples :wink:

Feb 28, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #1,262 of 11,988
Well it`s up to person. Of course it doesn`t need to be modded (I personally prefer to try out that last "fine touch" which could make wonders) and can be sent back to seller and try something else...

Of course. Everything’s opinion. That’s what this forum is. It’s just my view that if an iem needs modding it has to be a simple mod and worth keeping for the improvement made. But if you get your kicks modding, you get your kicks modding. Good on ya!

Feb 28, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #1,263 of 11,988
Of course. Everything’s opinion. That’s what this forum is. It’s just my view that if an iem needs modding it has to be a simple mod and worth keeping for the improvement made. But if you get your kicks modding, you get your kicks modding. Good on ya!
Hmmm, I think nozzle filter mod IS quite simple mod and reversible :confused: Plus, finding those teas I provided is easy as they are widely available.
Maybe I need to make a how-to guide? THough, my unit has also nozzle edge "trompet" rings... haven`t tried without them yet.
When I get my Dayton, will make measurements. Who knows, maybe what I like out of my KPE will look worse on graph to most of here:grin:

Feb 28, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #1,264 of 11,988
Hmmm, I think nozzle filter mod IS quite simple mod and reversible :confused: Plus, finding those teas I provided is easy as they are widely available.
Maybe I need to make a how-to guide? THough, my unit has also nozzle edge "trompet" rings... haven`t tried without them yet.
When I get my Dayton, will make measurements. Who knows, maybe what I like out of my KPE will look worse on graph to most of here:grin:

If the nozzle filter mod is simple, please let me know how to, SIMPLY. That would be great - thanks in advance. (Not sure I want to be removing things that are stuck down securely, mind - or opening up shells. That's your expertise.)
The porous tape over shell vent is easy and done. Cheers!

Feb 28, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #1,265 of 11,988
O

My view: technical abilities take second place to enjoyment every time. And enjoyment, of course, is personal. I feel KP may have technical edge. But not by much.
Soundstaging is possibly marginally better than Crescent - and the width, depth probably too over burn in. But it depends on so many factors too: source, tips, stage of burn in etc. That said, the differences do not make it necessarily more enjoyable.
Put it this way. I’m reaching for Crescent more than KP at the moment. Could be curiosity, new toy. I’m finding the Crescents more even across the fq, vocals more enjoyable and less need to lower volume. I guess I’m saying I’m finding Crescent more natural. Which I know is odd, given the price point and dull, attached cable. But that’s how it is.
Your dilemma. Well, for £21 - what I paid - it’s hardly a dilemma, surely? And if you don’t like one or other, you sell. Simples :wink:

I know, i mean at $28 of course crescent is much more better value iem, just like mh755 very great tuning, i like its dynamic, enjoyable sound, only that i miss the soundstage from more capable iem. Thanks for explanation here.

To anyone who has final audio e2000 and crescent, how these two little beast compared? They are similar in shape and driver, although e2000 a lit bit more expensive.

Feb 28, 2019 at 5:52 AM Post #1,266 of 11,988
I know, i mean at $28 of course crescent is much more better value iem, just like mh755 very great tuning, i like its dynamic, enjoyable sound, only that i miss the soundstage from more capable iem. Thanks for explanation here.

To anyone who has final audio e2000 and crescent, how these two little beast compared? They are similar in shape and driver, although e2000 a lit bit more expensive.
Well, funny you shouldn’t say that. I had the e2000 for a while recently and sent it back.
It was overly warm and congested for me. Didn’t give it time to burn in...if it needed it.
It didn’t have the air or detail that either Moondrops have. Again...just my experience.
Soundstage on Crescent btw...very decent. Not far behind KPE. Made up for by other attributes that KPE maybe falls short in.

Feb 28, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #1,267 of 11,988
You guys did it! I just ordered the Crescent... :dizzy_face:
Must........stop........buying......new........toys..........I...........don't...........need!

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #1,268 of 11,988
Must........stop........buying......new........toys..........I...........don't...........need!
Then... JUST STOP!

I did. Great feeling.
Discovering new music, just listening and enjoy music.
Lot more time to do other things than keep reading H-Fi threads and subconciously feed my ego with "there`s better".
At some point, when You LIKE what You hear and can`t find faults nor THINK about sound quality - JUST STOP! :wink:

Feb 28, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #1,269 of 11,988
Then... JUST STOP!

I did. Great feeling.
Lot more time to do other things than keep reading H-Fi threads and subconciously feed my ego with "there`s better".
At some point, when You LIKE what You hear and can`t find faults nor THINK about sound quality - JUST STOP! :wink:

I have been there and had stopped for 15 years after spending 2 years and around 10k on my stereo system...
Portable Audio started it again, and I have to say it's rewarding! I have been exploring more and more new music and am really enjoying the quality possible.
After the last purchases I really plan to settle for a reasonable solution and sell off the rest. Let's see :)

Feb 28, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #1,270 of 11,988
Oops. My fault. But it won't break the bank, eh.

Feb 28, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #1,271 of 11,988
Then... JUST STOP!

I did. Great feeling.

You're dead right.
Will you stop at the KP, the threads...and the modding do you reckon? :wink:

Feb 28, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #1,272 of 11,988
I've taken great interest in the Kanas Pro after reading about it, but have a couple questions if anyone has some thougts on it:
1) How are they in terms of detail compared to something like the Westone UM 50 Pro (v2)? I find these to have very impressive detail for their price, but would like a bit more low end, otherwise borderline perfect to my ears, due to their level of detail without getting sibilant or harsh ever.
2) As mentioned above, I'm looking for a bit of hefty low end grunt; recently I've taken a great liking to the Bowers & Wilkins P7/P9 headphones sound for that reason, listening to EDM and Metal a lot lately.... Will I be able to find anything remotely like this with the Kanas or any of Moondrops offerings?

Generally, if any of this sounds like it might work with the Kanas or if you have suggestions for any other IEM that might match something in these descriptions, please do let me know! Almost price no object really, and even over ears that do what the P7/P9 do, but better might be of interest...

Feb 28, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #1,273 of 11,988
I've taken great interest in the Kanas Pro after reading about it, but have a couple questions if anyone has some thougts on it:
1) How are they in terms of detail compared to something like the Westone UM 50 Pro (v2)? I find these to have very impressive detail for their price, but would like a bit more low end, otherwise borderline perfect to my ears, due to their level of detail without getting sibilant or harsh ever.
2) As mentioned above, I'm looking for a bit of hefty low end grunt; recently I've taken a great liking to the Bowers & Wilkins P7/P9 headphones sound for that reason, listening to EDM and Metal a lot lately.... Will I be able to find anything remotely like this with the Kanas or any of Moondrops offerings?

Generally, if any of this sounds like it might work with the Kanas or if you have suggestions for any other IEM that might match something in these descriptions, please do let me know! Almost price no object really, and even over ears that do what the P7/P9 do, but better might be of interest...

A well burned in Kanas Pro with the right tips and a good match with your player will certainly give you the detail however it might not be quite enough in the low end for you? The low end is tight and very well balanced but may appear less than what you used to from your recent cans. I haven't heard the Westones but from what I have read about them I think you will almost certainly find more detail and air with the Kanas Pro's
Difficult to say 100% though without borrowing your ears!
From what you've said and have been listening to of late I would very much suggest the Sony MDR-EX800. You will probably have to import a set from Japan but you can find them fairly inexpensive. I'll leave you to do your own research but they are very highly regarded and have an extraordinarily superb low end for an IEM - By far the best I have ever heard.
So 1) yes to the Kanas Pro / 2) I would look to EX800 or something else for your low end hefty gruntiness .
Im sure others here will offers other suggestions :)

Feb 28, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #1,274 of 11,988

I have bowers p7 headphones and kanas pro so will be able to compare to you a little bit later. I know what you mean mentioning p7 bass. It has really powerfull bass that i like a lot. Kanas pro also not bad there, so will probably give more description later.

Feb 28, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #1,275 of 11,988
So I'm approaching around 20 hours on my KPE which I picked up from the previous Massdrop release. Finally the pair is starting to resemble all the praise around this forum. I was a bit concerned at first, as it sounded quite non-spacious & congested out of the box. All the while, I was benchmarking against my current IEM of choice, the Massdrop Plus (which sounds nicely open and airy). But now, in direct comparison, I can hear it about equaling the Plus on sense of space and openness, thank goodness. The thing I am most impressed by though is the freakin' bass. Damn. It just slams so low, and seems bottomless... without bleeding into the mids. Yet it never seems overdone, and just conveys what's in the music material if it's super low. I think it's about the best IEM bass I've yet heard, so well tuned.

Now I've also ordered a second-hand A8. Need to stop buying as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back