Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Mar 28, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #7,232 of 11,979
Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #7,233 of 11,979
The Aria looks beautiful. Must resist impulse buy... The price might determine my willpower.
Haha I just saw you did impulse buy on Penon Globe😂 another wallet hurting thing coming up so fast thesedays

[noticed it’s already available, order placed]

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #7,234 of 11,979
BL03 is kinda outdated IMO, it was a no-brainer go-to for under $50, but now you have several other options like HZSound heart mirror, it's a nicer Carbon Nano Tube dynamic driver IEM under $50.
After a bit more research it seems like the Tin T2 Plus is more what I'm looking for if I were to go that cheap. From what little I can find about the Heart Mirror it does actually seem like it would fit my preferences even more. The shipping time is what's scaring me away though. Aliexpress is showing upto 40 days and Keephifi isn't showing a date prior to purchase. If I were to go with something cheap I'd prefer to get it soon. Rainy season seems to have started about a week ago where I live.

I'm worried about the pin connection issue you mentioned but that's why going cheap would be the idea. I can afford something more expensive if that's what it takes. I just don't think I want another TWS similar to what I already have in the G Buds Plus. Maybe something like the Lypertek S20 would be the something I'd consider. But I already feel like the Tevi doesn't seem like my thing. I can't find any good answers, so just buying cheap and tossing if they get damaged seems like the least bad option somehow.

The BTR5 you linked looks...kind of amazing? I'll definitely look into it. I used an A3 for a few years and have vaguely looked into a more portable/versatile amp for when my Dragonfly Black isn't a workable solution. I wasn't planning on getting one this soon but...maybe?

Finally, do you have any recommendations for where to purchase the Dusk version of the Blessing 2? I was leaning toward the OG B2 more due to easier access than anything else.

Thanks. =)

Mar 28, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #7,235 of 11,979
Yeah, they were impulse buys! Lol! Rationalizing the Globe: If @Dsnuts and @tgx78 give an IEM a thumbs up then it is going to be good. If they say it will do what I want it to do and it fits my budget at the time then I will likely buy it. If @Redcarmoose also gives it a thumbs up well, no-brainer purchase (within my purchase cap/budget).

If Moondrop releases an IEM, it is going to be good. If an IEM is under $100 well, if it doesn’t pan out (doubtful) I haven’t lost much money. :wink::sunglasses:

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #7,236 of 11,979
After a bit more research it seems like the Tin T2 Plus is more what I'm looking for if I were to go that cheap. From what little I can find about the Heart Mirror it does actually seem like it would fit my preferences even more. The shipping time is what's scaring me away though. Aliexpress is showing upto 40 days and Keephifi isn't showing a date prior to purchase. If I were to go with something cheap I'd prefer to get it soon. Rainy season seems to have started about a week ago where I live.

I'm worried about the pin connection issue you mentioned but that's why going cheap would be the idea. I can afford something more expensive if that's what it takes. I just don't think I want another TWS similar to what I already have in the G Buds Plus. Maybe something like the Lypertek S20 would be the something I'd consider. But I already feel like the Tevi doesn't seem like my thing. I can't find any good answers, so just buying cheap and tossing if they get damaged seems like the least bad option somehow.

The BTR5 you linked looks...kind of amazing? I'll definitely look into it. I used an A3 for a few years and have vaguely looked into a more portable/versatile amp for when my Dragonfly Black isn't a workable solution. I wasn't planning on getting one this soon but...maybe?

Finally, do you have any recommendations for where to purchase the Dusk version of the Blessing 2? I was leaning toward the OG B2 more due to easier access than anything else.

Thanks. =)
You can buy from Shenzhen audio, a pretty trustworthy dealer, in fact I just placed order 3min ago, for Moondrop’s new line up Aria($79). To my knowledge it’s somehow the budget version of moondrop’s illumination with similar drivers (liquid crystal polymer). It maybe another cheap options aside from Heart Mirror.

https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...lessing2-dusk-1dd-4ba-in-ear-monitor-earphone

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #7,237 of 11,979
Yeah, they were impulse buys! Lol! Rationalizing the Globe: If @Dsnuts and @tgx78 give an IEM a thumbs up then it is going to be good. If they say it will do what I want it to do and it fits my budget at the time then I will likely buy it. If @Redcarmoose also gives it a thumbs up well, no-brainer purchase (within my purchase cap/budget).

If Moondrop releases an IEM, it is going to be good. If an IEM is under $100 well, if it doesn’t pan out (doubtful) I haven’t lost much money. :wink::sunglasses:
Agreed. I have a bit concern over their TWS Sparks though, it seems it’s not a pure moondrop engineering, but a collaborative one with HiBy. I preordered that sparks back in January and looking forward to see how their TWS would come around to the very competitive market.

Mar 28, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #7,238 of 11,979
You can buy from Shenzhen audio, a pretty trustworthy dealer, in fact I just placed order 3min ago, for Moondrop’s new line up Aria($79). To my knowledge it’s somehow the budget version of moondrop’s illumination with similar drivers (liquid crystal polymer). It maybe another cheap options aside from Heart Mirror.

https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...lessing2-dusk-1dd-4ba-in-ear-monitor-earphone
Slightly different bass tuning or pretty colored wood faceplates. Hrrrm.

Guess I'll look around a slight bit more and just go with something in the next couple days.

Mar 28, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #7,239 of 11,979
Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Mar 29, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #7,241 of 11,979
Slightly different bass tuning or pretty colored wood faceplates. Hrrrm.

Guess I'll look around a slight bit more and just go with something in the next couple days.
Yea that’s the hardest decision point indeed, what kind of music do you enjoy the most again?

Mar 29, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #7,242 of 11,979

Thanks. =)

The Tin T2 Plus is a U shaped set, good tonality and timbre. Isolation is bad though, and technicalities like imaging, instrument separation, details are average at best. So perhaps a good set for those who just wanna chill and enjoy music, but it isn't the most technical set. It doesn't do much wrong tuning wise, I just find it a bit too boring and lacking dynamics, but YMMV.

One thing to note is that there are a lot of forum reports of wonky MMCX connectors on the Tin T2 Plus (my set too). I strongly suggest you get it from somewhere with a robust returns policy eg Amazon, should you consider getting it. In case a lemon comes in the mail. Returning stuff to China via aliexpress is a pain, sometimes the cost of transfer back is almost equivalent to the IEM itself!

As for Aliexpress versus KeepHIFI, Keep HIFI has quite good CS, bought some stuff from them before, you can ask chat with them to ask an estimated shipping date. For the HZSound Heart Mirror, it requires amping. Sounds meh from a low powered source. So do consider if you have a good source that can do it justice. But I do think it beats the Tin T2 Plus when amped, in timbre and technicalities.

Mar 29, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #7,243 of 11,979
Late to the train, but I finally got the chance to review the Moondrop Blessing 2: Dusk. And my hand hurts typing this one -_-.
https://banbeu.com/moondrop-blessing-2-dusk-review-inherited-sidegrade/

Moondrop Blessing 2- Dusk.png

Speaking of which, I might receive the Moondrop Aria also, let's see if there is any change comparing to the Starfield and KXXS.

Mar 29, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #7,244 of 11,979
Yea that’s the hardest decision point indeed, what kind of music do you enjoy the most again?
I mentioned 'busy music' broadly because there's generally a decent range of music I listen to but a lot of it tends to fall along certain cross-sections. Also because it's a simple answer and you know. =)~

Metal tending toward power, progressive, and symphonic. Rock is typically more of the progressive variety, which would include both traditional prog and newer stuff like math or post rock. Electronic tending toward melodic and cinematic, sometimes with a classical streak. Pop is generally fairly theatrical, sometimes tending toward 80s synth and sometimes a bit folkish. Some film and game scores, although that's more of a home headphone concern. Occasional hip-hop, again not a major concern, and frequently involving heavy sampling from other genres anyway.

If you're curious, here are some of the specific sections I often listen to (all on Tidal) when I first try out headphones to see if they can handle certain things:

BT - Flaming June (Electronic Opus album) - 2:28 to 2:56
Spock's Beard - Something Very Strange - 2:39 to 3:08
Dream Theater - Count of Tuscany - 2:37 to 3:02
Erra - Dementia - 2:11 to 2:55
Lindsey Stirling - Don't Let This Feeling Fade - 1:15 to 1:50
Frost* - Black Light Machine - 2:55 to 4:58
Nightwish - Last of the Wilds - 3:58 to 4:58
Polyphia - GOAT - :17 to :55
Sabaton - Night Witches - :00 to :30(ish)
The Mars Volta - Agadez - 3:10 to 5:15 (severe brightness warning, turn down volume)
Carpenter Brut - Roller Mobster (Live) - Entire Song (general volume warning, turn down volume before playing)
Volkor X - This Means War - 2:45 to 3:54

Most of that is complexity testing but a few are other things. Sabaton is because that song blows the **** out of cheap bass. Mars Volta is to see how much ultra brightness hurts my ears. Some other stuff. Usually I'll pair the specific sections with music from artists such as Florence and the Machine, Particle House, Coheed and Cambria, Two Steps from Hell, Skyzoo, and some others. Mostly because those sounds aren't really represented in the specific section testing.

Mar 29, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #7,245 of 11,979
The Tin T2 Plus is a U shaped set, good tonality and timbre. Isolation is bad though, and technicalities like imaging, instrument separation, details are average at best. So perhaps a good set for those who just wanna chill and enjoy music, but it isn't the most technical set. It doesn't do much wrong tuning wise, I just find it a bit too boring and lacking dynamics, but YMMV.

One thing to note is that there are a lot of forum reports of wonky MMCX connectors on the Tin T2 Plus (my set too). I strongly suggest you get it from somewhere with a robust returns policy eg Amazon, should you consider getting it. In case a lemon comes in the mail. Returning stuff to China via aliexpress is a pain, sometimes the cost of transfer back is almost equivalent to the IEM itself!

As for Aliexpress versus KeepHIFI, Keep HIFI has quite good CS, bought some stuff from them before, you can ask chat with them to ask an estimated shipping date. For the HZSound Heart Mirror, it requires amping. Sounds meh from a low powered source. So do consider if you have a good source that can do it justice. But I do think it beats the Tin T2 Plus when amped, in timbre and technicalities.
While I would generally prefer something with better technicality, I'm mostly just trying to avoid bass bloat and heavy instrument bleeding (often the result of bass bloat anyway) with a cheap set. U shaped is acceptable, but V shaped wouldn't be. Most of what I've seen suggests that the T2+ is 'close enough' to neutral for this context.

I mostly prefer to go brick and mortar but if I can't then I'd prefer amazon. That's where I'd be getting the T2+ if I get it.

If Heart Mirror requires amping then it's a no-go. I don't mind amp requirements in general but the specific purpose of this cheaper set is that it can get beat up. I won't want to carry an amp in my pocket in the conditions I'd want to use it. I'll carry an amp with something like a Blessing 2 because it's for safe conditions. One gets treated like crap, the other gets treated like a baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back