Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #7,216 of 11,996
I just got the Spaceship and initially had fit issues. The sound was good, but a bit muddy and muffled. Then I changed the tip to AZLA Xelastec and then they were very clear but lacking mid bass. Still I enjoyed the added ‘air’ and space, but the fit still wasn’t great and I nearly gave up. It was then recommended to me to try try the Spin Fit CP100 and bam: fit was excellent and comfortable, sound was essentially a mix between the original and the AZLA which means it was exactly what I was hoping for in the first place. These may not be the best IEMs on the planet, not by a long shot I’m sure, but wow are they nice for such a small amount of money. In fact, I’d say they are the best bang for the buck I’ve had in audio.

Mar 22, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #7,217 of 11,996
TRN T3 , bought from the official Ali store .
I know the limpid one is always recommend around here, but I got the T3 on discount, about 22 USD.

Anyway I don't hear any difference, but I also didn't do a direct comparison with my way more expensive pure copper cable.the handling though is excellent and virtually no microphonics.
Thanks. I'll have a look in the Ali store. For that price it could be quite interesting.

Mar 24, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #7,218 of 11,996
Apparently, Moondrop showed a new S8 update in an event in China:

veir.jpg

The new version of S8 seems to have two modes of low frequency and high frequency, which is more transparent and open than the original version, with better dynamics and larger sound field. In other aspects, I feel that there are still many similarities with the original S8 can be understood as the kind of water and moon with a higher density and a stronger sound. If it is not rigorously summarized, it should be described as a BA version of Illumination?
rough translation from the weibo post.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #7,219 of 11,996
I guess this is as good a thread as any to post this.

I’ve been using Galaxy Buds Plus for six months or so. Bought them together with MW07 Go. Mostly hated the latter and returned them. I value sound separation very highly (listen to a lot of very busy music) and they bled profusely with quite a bit of my music. While the G Buds certainly aren’t up to the level of what I use at home, I was honestly shocked by how much I like them. I expected a lot less from TWS given how much of a package deal (sound quality plus all these other things) they tend to be.

Still, while wireless ended up being less of a tradeoff than I expected it to be, there are enough issues that I’m currently looking for an alternative. I’ll try and make this brief. There’s two main reasons I’m considering going back to wired. The first is that the connection being better than expected doesn’t mean it’s perfect. That’s straight forward. But my question for the people here who know much more about this stuff than I do is: can I reliably avoid that issue I used to deal with where the cable rubbing up against my clothing does all sorts of stuff to the sound? I don’t know what the word ‘microphonics’ means (guessing relevance based on context) but it seems to pop up when I try and find answers to this question on my own. Does a review pointing out that a cable is ‘not microphonic’ avoid the issue I’m referring to?

Second, I do a pretty crazy amount of walking, and the IPX2 rating of the G Buds has me worried with all the rain soon to come. Not going out because it’s raining is not an option and going out without music is also not an option. I’m sure there’s some placebo with this kind of thing but I have no way to know what matters and what doesn’t. I don’t do heavy gym workouts but fairly heavy rainfall is something I just yolo sometimes. And so it seems like most people are recommending a lot of wired IEMs that don’t have IPX ratings. Is there any way for me to blind buy a wired IEM these days with strong confidence that they’re appropriate for these conditions?

Finally, and the reason why I’m posting in this particular thread, it seems like my top considerations right now include Starfield and Blessing 2, along with Final A4000. If I want to stick with TWS only with better rain protection I’d be looking at stuff like AKG N400, G Buds Pro, or possibly even Lyp Tevi. I’d prefer to go wired though. Spending money right now without also getting a sound quality upgrade is a bit rough. So any additional information, suggestions, warnings, and so on and so forth would be appreciated. =)

Mar 27, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #7,220 of 11,996

I’ve been using Galaxy Buds Plus for six months or so. Bought them together with MW07 Go. Mostly hated the latter and returned them. I value sound separation very highly (listen to a lot of very busy music) and they bled profusely with quite a bit of my music. While the G Buds certainly aren’t up to the level of what I use at home, I was honestly shocked by how much I like them. I expected a lot less from TWS given how much of a package deal (sound quality plus all these other things) they tend to be.

Still, while wireless ended up being less of a tradeoff than I expected it to be, there are enough issues that I’m currently looking for an alternative. I’ll try and make this brief. There’s two main reasons I’m considering going back to wired. The first is that the connection being better than expected doesn’t mean it’s perfect. That’s straight forward. But my question for the people here who know much more about this stuff than I do is: can I reliably avoid that issue I used to deal with where the cable rubbing up against my clothing does all sorts of stuff to the sound? I don’t know what the word ‘microphonics’ means (guessing relevance based on context) but it seems to pop up when I try and find answers to this question on my own. Does a review pointing out that a cable is ‘not microphonic’ avoid the issue I’m referring to?

Second, I do a pretty crazy amount of walking, and the IPX2 rating of the G Buds has me worried with all the rain soon to come. Not going out because it’s raining is not an option and going out without music is also not an option. I’m sure there’s some placebo with this kind of thing but I have no way to know what matters and what doesn’t. I don’t do heavy gym workouts but fairly heavy rainfall is something I just yolo sometimes. And so it seems like most people are recommending a lot of wired IEMs that don’t have IPX ratings. Is there any way for me to blind buy a wired IEM these days with strong confidence that they’re appropriate for these conditions?

Finally, and the reason why I’m posting in this particular thread, it seems like my top considerations right now include Starfield and Blessing 2, along with Final A4000. If I want to stick with TWS only with better rain protection I’d be looking at stuff like AKG N400, G Buds Pro, or possibly even Lyp Tevi. I’d prefer to go wired though. Spending money right now without also getting a sound quality upgrade is a bit rough. So any additional information, suggestions, warnings, and so on and so forth would be appreciated. =)

You can reduce microphonics (eg the sound of cable rubbing on clothing) by wearing the IEM over ears instead of cable down. Also using a shirt clip to clip the cable down also helps, so that it doesn't swing around freely. Some cable material are just more microphonic prone too, so do explore around to see which cables are more microphonic resistant.

As for using IEMs in gym/exercising, in general DD (dynamic driver) types seem to be more moisture resistant compared to BA (balanced armature) types. At least in my experience, I've not had IEMs dying on me that contained DD, even with much exercise, whereas BA types seem to be more fragile to knocks and moisture. Some IEMs also have a flaw in design where moisture builds up in the nozzle mesh in high humidity/prolonged listening sessions, eg LZ A6, TRN BA5.

Mar 27, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #7,221 of 11,996
Somewhere there is a thread that says the Blessing 2 and a Penon GS849 is a great combo. As I can’t seem to figure out where I saw it I want to say:

THANK YOU

It really is the type of set-up I was looking for. And then I bought a DAP with a balanced port. Sigh. Any balanced cables, say from aliexpress, that I can use to get my feet wet before going in over my head. Again.

Mar 28, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #7,222 of 11,996
Somewhere there is a thread that says the Blessing 2 and a Penon GS849 is a great combo. As I can’t seem to figure out where I saw it I want to say:

THANK YOU

It really is the type of set-up I was looking for. And then I bought a DAP with a balanced port. Sigh. Any balanced cables, say from aliexpress, that I can use to get my feet wet before going in over my head. Again.
You could check out these guys.

Mar 28, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #7,224 of 11,996
You can reduce microphonics (eg the sound of cable rubbing on clothing) by wearing the IEM over ears instead of cable down. Also using a shirt clip to clip the cable down also helps, so that it doesn't swing around freely. Some cable material are just more microphonic prone too, so do explore around to see which cables are more microphonic resistant.

As for using IEMs in gym/exercising, in general DD (dynamic driver) types seem to be more moisture resistant compared to BA (balanced armature) types. At least in my experience, I've not had IEMs dying on me that contained DD, even with much exercise, whereas BA types seem to be more fragile to knocks and moisture. Some IEMs also have a flaw in design where moisture builds up in the nozzle mesh in high humidity/prolonged listening sessions, eg LZ A6, TRN BA5.
So long as microphonics is the term I'm looking for I can work with that. I know the Blessing 2 has a bunch of reviews for example that specifically point out the lack of microphonics with the stock cable. Good cable and going over ears should be enough for me to feel comfortable with wired consistency. Not really a big fan of clips but maybe.

I think what I'm going to do is get something cheap like the Blon BL03 or Tin T2 specifically for rainy days. At that price yoloing water damage doesn't seem like it'd be a problem, so long as it doesn't die every time I take it out or something. I might pick up a Blessing 2 as well when my stimulus comes in. I didn't initially plan on paying that much when I started looking for a wired replacement but I'm out so much that 'actually great' vs 'great for mainstream sub $200 tws' is increasingly feeling like a bigger deal.

Mar 28, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #7,225 of 11,996
Mar 28, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #7,226 of 11,996
Apparently, Moondrop showed a new S8 update in an event in China:

veir.jpg

rough translation from the weibo post.
I can amend that "water and moon" part as "Moondrop" because the Chinese character 水月雨 could be directly translated to that "water and moon"

Mar 28, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #7,227 of 11,996

There is a well-regarded Bluetooth receiver FiiO BTR5 it acts as a good midpoint amp for half-wireless listening, the BTR5 is light with a clip, so it could easily be hooked to your neck. with tightened cable, it semi-wireless with high-quality sound. This could solve 80% of your cable concerns without seriously losing audio quality(It's amazing autophile grade)

For microphonics at least for moondrop products I've experienced, there are no issues.

For waterproof, you may get IPX TWS, the wired IEMS has a wired pin connection, if an excessive amount of sweat flows into it, I don't think it's a smart idea, especially those IEMs usually costs a fortune. So for rainy or during your workouts, I'd use some TWS like airpods pro, Gbud Pro(basically AKG-inside) ,lyperteck tevi, also Moondrop just released their first TWS sparks, not sure about its waterproof capability nor the sound quality though.

For the sound quality, I would pick Blessing 2 dusk(it's a slight brush up from OG blessing 2), if your main type of genre is busy music. Upgrading from your current Gbuds to Starfield may not be that "jaw-dropping" difference, some refinement, but not a huge huge one. But for B2 dusk, it's pretty much a blind buy.

Mar 28, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #7,228 of 11,996
So long as microphonics is the term I'm looking for I can work with that. I know the Blessing 2 has a bunch of reviews for example that specifically point out the lack of microphonics with the stock cable. Good cable and going over ears should be enough for me to feel comfortable with wired consistency. Not really a big fan of clips but maybe.

I think what I'm going to do is get something cheap like the Blon BL03 or Tin T2 specifically for rainy days. At that price yoloing water damage doesn't seem like it'd be a problem, so long as it doesn't die every time I take it out or something. I might pick up a Blessing 2 as well when my stimulus comes in. I didn't initially plan on paying that much when I started looking for a wired replacement but I'm out so much that 'actually great' vs 'great for mainstream sub $200 tws' is increasingly feeling like a bigger deal.
BL03 is kinda outdated IMO, it was a no-brainer go-to for under $50, but now you have several other options like HZSound heart mirror, it's a nicer Carbon Nano Tube dynamic driver IEM under $50.

Mar 28, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #7,229 of 11,996
OK, so at the Moondrop Shanghai Expo, Aria's official launch date seemed like to be 3/30/2021

some pics from Chinese web:

0072IByLly1goqh6r5qzpj30w50i3n0w.jpg
0072IByLgy1goy9idmik9j30u01hc4eb.jpg

006MvXsNly1goqdimfywyj31960xxh70.jpg
006MvXsNly1goqdineoalj30sa0l712i.jpg

Recolored Sparks TWS??

006MvXsNly1goqdibj146j323t1l0e81.jpg
006MvXsNly1goqdi8957dj31n718h7wh.jpg
006MvXsNly1goqdi6byjhj316q0w3aph.jpg

Headphone!?

006MvXsNly1goqdigcewpj322w1k74qq.jpg

Last edited: