Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Oct 8, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #6,451 of 11,982
Finally, got the demo unit for both the monarch and clair yesterday. I also did some A/B comparisons with other brands for my final thought.
NOTE: I bought my unit with my own money, full price. This impression and my final thought are based on my hearing as a consumer and not sponsored by any company.
Also, excuse me for my english, its not my main language. I will try my best to write my thought.
At last, the clair demo unit arrived yesterday and Linsoul manager Lilian arranged meeting in local Starbucks to do my demo.
First, I tried the clair. First impression, very huge shell!!! its large and thick, even thicker than the qdc anole vx and s8/b2. I got almost no problem with the comfort and fit, however it might be an issue for smaller size ears. The left unit fits perfectly, but the right unit, I have to move it around a bit to find a perfect fit. Maybe this is production issue?
Sound wise, it reminds me of the HD 650. neutral, thick and smooth and got bit of a bass kick. The vocals is a bit forward I think? just like the 650, but with more bass punch and details. Its not as musical as the full size 650, but close enough. Imaging and precision both are good enough, better than the 650 or ie8 for sure. However, it doesn't have the large soundstage as the ie8, but close enough.
This is the selling point of the clair, very smooth and thick musical tonality, very pleasant to hear.
Then, I tried the monarch. same huge shell, but this one fits perfectly on my first try for both unit. i still think maybe its a slight production issue for the clair right unit.
When I first listened to it. I was surprised by how clean and detailed the monarch is. This is a brand new experience for me, to hear such sound signature. Its neutral, clear and precise with deep bass. Tonality is not as thick and musical as clair for sure, but I think its not thin either. It got enough body and still pleasant to hear, although not as smooth as the clair.
Even though not as smooth, I am amazed with the technicality of the monarch. Bass doesn't punch as much as the clair, but it hits deep. crinacle and discourse review said that it got this rumbling effect from its deep sub bass. I though maybe this is just some technical term that we average consumer really dont care. However, when I hear daftpunk and some disney music (please dont judge me :relaxed:), I definitely can feel the rumble. This is like, a brand new experience for me, nothing like other headphone or iem I ever owned.
In the end, although the clair sounds very sweet and smooth, but my ears just wanted to hear the monarch more. I hands automatically reached to the monarch and my brain also told me that the monarch is the best set for me.
So, I purchased the monarch full price.
Notes for both monarch and clair. The stock cables are very good, thick yet not stiff. Its kinda like some fancy cable that audio store sell for hundreds of dollars. I dont know about the sound with the more fancy cable, the stock cable already sounds good for me.
The carrying pouch however, is too small. Not deep enough for the cables and the iems, since both unit's shell is very huge, Need larger case/ pouch.
Also, the clair is harder to drive than the monarch. Using fiio btr5 for the monarch, I use 23 volume to reach my sweet spot, but need 25 for the clair
In my opinion, There is no S or A rank. Both of them is equally good. It depends on what do you want to hear? Do you want more musical with more body but smooth tone and bit of bass kick, go with the clair. If you want clean, more details and deep bass, go with the monarch.
Even without EQ or the 20ohm adapter, the monarch still sounds good for me.
Final note, I think the monarch tone is not as thin as the clair, like most reviewers said. It still got body and texture, but not as much as the clair. Same like the clair. Its also got details and precision, just not as much as the monarch.
Hmm, nice impression there. But since it wasn't moondrop related, but thie. I think it will be wiser if you share them on Thieaudio's thread instead next time :)

Oct 8, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #6,453 of 11,982
Sound-wise I love the Blessing 2, but comfort can be an issue. In my case they're not good for long listening sessions, though I dearly wish I could use them for that.

Oct 8, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #6,454 of 11,982
Sound-wise I love the Blessing 2, but comfort can be an issue. In my case they're not good for long listening sessions, though I dearly wish I could use them for that.

Do they start hurting the ears?

Oct 8, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #6,455 of 11,982
Do they start hurting the ears?
In my case, after about two hours I am staring to develop a sore spot in the lower part of my outer ear where the shell comes into contact with it.

Oct 8, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #6,456 of 11,982
In my case, after about two hours I am staring to develop a sore spot in the lower part of my outer ear where the shell comes into contact with it.

That's my biggest worry for upgrading to the blessing 2s. Are your ears big and how about the stock cables, do they hurt or anything?

Oct 10, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #6,458 of 11,982
That's my biggest worry for upgrading to the blessing 2s. Are your ears big and how about the stock cables, do they hurt or anything?
They are not that big, I'd say 5% of world population would feel discomfort with B2..

Compare to with number for Sony IER-Z1R - roughly 80% of owners , but oy 46% is brave enough to o admit that.

You should be fine, it not these are still quite hot, you'll resell them quite easy.

Oct 10, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #6,459 of 11,982
They are not that big, I'd say 5% of world population would feel discomfort with B2..

Compare to with number for Sony IER-Z1R - roughly 80% of owners , but oy 46% is brave enough to o admit that.

You should be fine, it not these are still quite hot, you'll resell them quite easy.
Thanks for the feedback and I do have big ears I guess and the Starfields fit great with a some wriggle room.

By the way, would the stock blessing 2 cables be better than the lyre acoustic pansy balanced 4.4mm? Should I use the balanced instead if purchasing the B2?

Oct 10, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #6,460 of 11,982
Thanks for the feedback and I do have big ears I guess and the Starfields fit great with a some wriggle room.

By the way, would the stock blessing 2 cables be better than the lyre acoustic pansy balanced 4.4mm? Should I use the balanced instead if purchasing the B2?

Not sure about the cable, I'm cable sceptic. I mean understand that good iem needs good cable, but for me good cable costs 60$ max.

Blessing has proper copper cable, single ended. Nothing special, but ok. They like a bit of power so going balanced might be good idea if your source can provide more sauce this way.
But I were you I'd order B2 first and saw for myself.

Oct 10, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #6,461 of 11,982
Not sure about the cable, I'm cable sceptic. I mean understand that good iem needs good cable, but for me good cable costs 60$ max.

Blessing has proper copper cable, single ended. Nothing special, but ok. They like a bit of power so going balanced might be good idea if your source can provide more sauce this way.
But I were you I'd order B2 first and saw for myself.

Yeah, I am waiting for Double 11 to see if there are any deals to purchase the B2

Oct 10, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #6,462 of 11,982

It's not great, it's fairly stiff and microphonic. At least mine was. Passable, but I'd get a better one just for comfort. I got a KBEar Limpid for my pair, miles better.

Oct 10, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #6,463 of 11,982
I think the b2 shells are overall fine. If you have small ears they’re going to be a bit large however. I’ll tell you my main gripe about them, which has nothing to do with sound: there is no lip on the shell. The tips come off every time I take them off, drives me crazy!

Oct 10, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #6,464 of 11,982
I think the b2 shells are overall fine. If you have small ears they’re going to be a bit large however. I’ll tell you my main gripe about them, which has nothing to do with sound: there is no lip on the shell. The tips come off every time I take them off, drives me crazy!
This isn't happening to me at all (though I don't use the stock tips with my B2). I suggest you wash the tips thoroughly in mild soap solution to get all the grease out of them, and wipe the B2 nozzles thoroughly with alcohol to get any grease from them as well. I have done a lot of tip rolling on the B2 and I've never had the problem you are describing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back