Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jun 12, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #5,611 of 11,979
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/super-spaceship-reference-release-date-discord-raffle.934693/

https://discord.gg/3DcBEbE join our raffle for a chance to win our newest Super Spaceship Reference! details above.

Yes getting busy in there last few days lots of new members curious about SSR and asking about SSP,plus lots of B2 and Starfield fans.
image.png

Jun 12, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #5,612 of 11,979
indeed, we reused some KXXS housing that pass audio QC(since we don't do B-STOCK) but didn't meet our exterior expectations for starfield(for instance imperfect mirror look)

Ah I see, thanks for the clarification! Still love your products though :) Keep it up!

Jun 12, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #5,614 of 11,979
About to dig into some comparison listening. All I know so far is that the Fearless is much easier to position for photographs. Maybe it's stabilized by that 200 gram steel ingot they use for a plug...

Fearless S8Z vs. Moondrop S8

20200612_101326.jpg

20200612_101408.jpg

20200612_101713.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #5,615 of 11,979
About to dig into some comparison listening. All I know so far is that the Fearless is much easier to position for photographs. Maybe it's stabilized by that 200 gram steel ingot they use for a plug...

20200612_101326.jpg

20200612_101408.jpg

20200612_101713.jpg
Which fearless is that?

Jun 12, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #5,617 of 11,979
Would it be too much to ask for some vague sound description of SSR and SSP maybe from Moondrop themselves? I like your ideas, designs and little sisters playing violin but blind buying would be more exciting with a tiny bit more info. Better than reading disappointed opinions during shipping even though I am optimistic for some reason. Please?

Jun 12, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #5,618 of 11,979

Fearless S8Z vs. Moondrop S8
Looking forward to it!

Jun 12, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #5,619 of 11,979
All right... after roughly six hours of listening, A/Bing, and taking notes. Here are my thoughts on the Fearless S8Z vs. Moondrop S8.

The main characteristics for the Fearless S8Z (hereafter, Z) are its vibrancy and intensity. Even at the same volume as the Moondrop S8 (or 8), the Z has a clearer and more focused sound in the entire right half of the frequency spectrum. That is not to say that the Z is more detailed than the 8, as the Z has a tendency to blur or over-saturate sound in a certain way. It is a cold and intense sound. By contrast, the 8 sounds more natural, more balanced, and more coherent. Unlike the Z, each section of the frequency spectrum is conveyed with detail and fits nicely with it neighbors. There is some emphasis in the sub-bass and lower treble, but these emphases are tasteful and very rarely distract from the overall tone. Moreover, the 8 is more resolving and detailed allowing you to hear things lower down in the mix that you might not otherwise; the Z tends to just make those things louder in the mix.

Delicate and ethereal micro-details are not the forte of the Z. Instead, detail on the Z comes across more from the quantity of treble than the driver’s speed or resolution. Especially for cymbals, the 8 is much more subdued and accurate, whereas the Z is intense often to the point of overwhelming the mix. For the Z, treble frequently becomes too much in terms of quantity and intensity to preserve a natural timber. Cymbals can get overly splashy, too sizzling and tizzy, strings can get squeaky or shrill.

Because of this, vocals take on a slight metallic edge to the them and have an overemphasis on vocal effects like echo or processing (sorry, don’t know the actual terms here), sometimes sounding completely off. The 8 is detailed, but keeps these things in check with better resolution and less emphasis, though it too occasionally sounds a bit weird with highly processed vocals. Vocals are more forward sounding on the Z, but more natural on the 8 as the 8 has a less edgy and metallic tinge. Likewise, the Z tends to strike harder on consonants making the vocals sound peaky and slightly sibilant at times. Neither is what I would call lush, nor are they thin. The Z seems to place the vocals just about neutral in the mix but with some shouty peaks, whereas the 8 has its smoother vocals just a touch back from that baseline. The Z has a wider soundstage with between air between instruments, but at the cost of less overall detail and less body to the sound.

The Z has harder hitting macrodynamics in all areas except for the sub-bass. There, the 8 sounds more defined (likely helped by the faster drop through the upper bass) and slightly more impactful. Through the bass and the lower mids, the 8 has better texture and control bass guitar and lower chords, while the Z has much more impact for drums.

NOTE: As you can see from the pics below, the two earphones have very different stock eartips. The Z tips have a very wide bore and the tips only extend from the end of the nozzle an additional 3mm. The 8 tips extend an additional 5mm, but are narrow-bored enough to partially block the bore holes. Putting the Fearless tips on the 8 brings the vocals forward, increases resolution and separation in the mids, narrows the gap in macrodynamcs considerably, and gives just a slight boost to treble quantity. In other words, switching tips gives them some of that vibrancy characteristic of the Z, but without overcooking the treble or leaving the bass dry. For the best sound, I would recommend a tip with a wide bore and a shortish nozzle. The Azla Sedna Light are a good choice (but hard as hell to get on).

20200612_160101.jpg20200612_160134.jpg

I listened to tons of songs (I can share the list, if people care), but I thought I'd be very specific about how I hear one particular (and short) song differently on the two earphones. If this helpful, I can do more of this, I just don't know if I should continue with the stock tips for the comparisons or switch to tips that bring out the best in the S8. Let me know.

CASE STUDY NOTES: Between the Buried and Me – Dim Ignition
  • 0:00 to 0:20: Z sounds brighter and splashier in the cymbals, though without better resolution. Just more. Z has less impact in the kick-drum hits. 8 resolves those cymbals more clearly, allowing you to hear the striking better.
  • 0:15 to 0:30: Z tracks the atmospheric panning in the background better with slightly more spatial cues, but there is less body/bloom to the low-end on the Z to get in the way.
  • 0:40 to 0:46 Right channel upper bass notes have less texture and detail on the Z, they are smoothed over and a little buzzy here. More vibrant on the Z, but less subtlety and they sound strained.
  • 8 has better detail in the bass, vocals less forward, less tizzy cymbals, more natural on the treble.
  • The two earphones are even on presence of backing vocals and clarity here
  • 1:15 on: Drums are less defined on the Z, but hit harder overall (except for the kick drum). The Z has less focused core to the sound and impact to the hits, drums sound rounder and less clear.
  • 1:25 on: Vocals on the Z are behind the splashy cymbals, which stand out far too much, vocals sound slightly more hollow here and more natural on the 8. On the Z, timbre is a bit off giving vocals a metallic tinge. On the 8, they are more natural and there is a more even presence to the whole vocal range, with moderately less accentuation of consonants.
  • 1:40 on: 8 is fuller and has more body, but more relaxed impact to the sound (except in the sub-bass), slightly less dynamic punch and resolution here.Separation is stellar on the Z, a bit muddier on the 8 with stock tips.
  • Z has wider soundstage, Z has more clarity and speed, but it sounds artificial at times.
  • Z has slightly more forward vocals.
  • Z has better impact and macrodynamics.
TL;DR: So which one wins? The stock Moondrop is a safer, more coherent, more accurate sound; the stock Fearless is more exciting and intense, but also more problematic. So my vote goes to... Moondrop S8 with Azla Sedna Light tips. Kind of the best of both worlds that way.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #5,620 of 11,979
Would it be too much to ask for some vague sound description of SSR and SSP maybe from Moondrop themselves? I like your ideas, designs and little sisters playing violin but blind buying would be more exciting with a tiny bit more info. Better than reading disappointed opinions during shipping even though I am optimistic for some reason. Please?
Your friend behind this account haven't got his sample yet, and SSP is still in tuning:disappointed_relieved:

Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com
Jun 12, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #5,621 of 11,979
All right... after roughly six hours of listening, A/Bing, and taking notes. Here are my thoughts on the Fearless S8Z vs. Moondrop S8.

The main characteristics for the Fearless S8Z (hereafter, Z) are its vibrancy and intensity. Even at the same volume as the Moondrop S8 (or 8), the Z has a clearer and more focused sound in the entire right half of the frequency spectrum. That is not to say that the Z is more detailed than the 8, as the Z has a tendency to blur or over-saturate sound in a certain way. It is a cold and intense sound. By contrast, the 8 sounds more natural, more balanced, and more coherent. Unlike the Z, each section of the frequency spectrum is conveyed with detail and fits nicely with it neighbors. There is some emphasis in the sub-bass and lower treble, but these emphases are tasteful and very rarely distract from the overall tone. Moreover, the 8 is more resolving and detailed allowing you to hear things lower down in the mix that you might not otherwise; the Z tends to just make those things louder in the mix.

Delicate and ethereal micro-details are not the forte of the Z. Instead, detail on the Z comes across more from the quantity of treble than the driver’s speed or resolution. Especially for cymbals, the 8 is much more subdued and accurate, whereas the Z is intense often to the point of overwhelming the mix. For the Z, treble frequently becomes too much in terms of quantity and intensity to preserve a natural timber. Cymbals can get overly splashy, too sizzling and tizzy, strings can get squeaky or shrill.

Because of this, vocals take on a slight metallic edge to the them and have an overemphasis on vocal effects like echo or processing (sorry, don’t know the actual terms here), sometimes sounding completely off. The 8 is detailed, but keeps these things in check with better resolution and less emphasis, though it too occasionally sounds a bit weird with highly processed vocals. Vocals are more forward sounding on the Z, but more natural on the 8 as the 8 has a less edgy and metallic tinge. Likewise, the Z tends to strike harder on consonants making the vocals sound peaky and slightly sibilant at times. Neither is what I would call lush, nor are they thin. The Z seems to place the vocals just about neutral in the mix but with some shouty peaks, whereas the 8 has its smoother vocals just a touch back from that baseline. The Z has a wider soundstage with between air between instruments, but at the cost of less overall detail and less body to the sound.

The Z has harder hitting macrodynamics in all areas except for the sub-bass. There, the 8 sounds more defined (likely helped by the faster drop through the upper bass) and slightly more impactful. Through the bass and the lower mids, the 8 has better texture and control bass guitar and lower chords, while the Z has much more impact for drums.

NOTE: As you can see from the pics below, the two earphones have very different stock eartips. The Z tips have a very wide bore and the tips only extend from the end of the nozzle an additional 3mm. The 8 tips extend an additional 5mm, but are narrow-bored enough to partially block the bore holes. Putting the Fearless tips on the 8 brings the vocals forward, increases resolution and separation in the mids, narrows the gap in macrodynamcs considerably, and gives just a slight boost to treble quantity. In other words, switching tips gives them some of that vibrancy characteristic of the Z, but without overcooking the treble or leaving the bass dry. For the best sound, I would recommend a tip with a wide bore and a shortish nozzle. The Azla Sedna Light are a good choice (but hard as hell to get on).

I listened to tons of songs (I can share the list, if people care), but I thought I'd be very specific about how I hear one particular (and short) song differently on the two earphones. If this helpful, I can do more of this, I just don't know if I should continue with the stock tips for the comparisons or switch to tips that bring out the best in the S8. Let me know.

CASE STUDY NOTES: Between the Buried and Me – Dim Ignition
  • 0:00 to 0:20: Z sounds brighter and splashier in the cymbals, though without better resolution. Just more. Z has less impact in the kick-drum hits. 8 resolves those cymbals more clearly, allowing you to hear the striking better.
  • 0:15 to 0:30: Z tracks the atmospheric panning in the background better with slightly more spatial cues, but there is less body/bloom to the low-end on the Z to get in the way.
  • 0:40 to 0:46 Right channel upper bass notes have less texture and detail on the Z, they are smoothed over and a little buzzy here. More vibrant on the Z, but less subtlety and they sound strained.
  • 8 has better detail in the bass, vocals less forward, less tizzy cymbals, more natural on the treble.
  • The two earphones are even on presence of backing vocals and clarity here
  • 1:15 on: Drums are less defined on the Z, but hit harder overall (except for the kick drum). The Z has less focused core to the sound and impact to the hits, drums sound rounder and less clear.
  • 1:25 on: Vocals on the Z are behind the splashy cymbals, which stand out far too much, vocals sound slightly more hollow here and more natural on the 8. On the Z, timbre is a bit off giving vocals a metallic tinge. On the 8, they are more natural and there is a more even presence to the whole vocal range, with moderately less accentuation of consonants.
  • 1:40 on: 8 is fuller and has more body, but more relaxed impact to the sound (except in the sub-bass), slightly less dynamic punch and resolution here.Separation is stellar on the Z, a bit muddier on the 8 with stock tips.
  • Z has wider soundstage, Z has more clarity and speed, but it sounds artificial at times.
  • Z has slightly more forward vocals.
  • Z has better impact and macrodynamics.
TL;DR: So which one wins? The stock Moondrop is a safer, more coherent, more accurate sound; the stock Fearless is more exciting and intense, but also more problematic. So my vote goes to... Moondrop S8 with Azla Sedna Light tips. Kind of the best of both worlds that way.

Huh, it's sorta like my impressions of Blessing 2 vs Cayin YB04 , with the cayin being more coherently detailed without forcing any emphasized frequency. That said, I find it aggravating when one pays $$$ for an iem that induces fatigue. Not to single out the fearless because I haven't heard them.

Nice comparison!

Jun 12, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #5,622 of 11,979
This is a darn good earphone!

What stands out so far - after limited listening time -is:

1) Dry, linear, punchy kickass bass that is NOT overbearing. A great balance between quantity and quality.

2) Great spatial cues: really nice three-dimensionality.

3) Great isolation and fit.

4) Good balance and fluidity.

5) No Chi-Fi peak...no overdone upper midrange.

I have really enjoyed this earphone and predict it will sell like hotcakes.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #5,625 of 11,979

Users who are viewing this thread

Back