Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #376 of 12,007
Thanks @vault108 for your efforts and opinions! Very interesting!
It also makes me feel like I totally made the right choice with the Kanas Pro.

Based on your measurement (and others) I tried bringing the vocals forward a bit by boosting the 2k and 3k points by 2dB each.
I use the HiBy R3 as source for Mojo, and normally switch off all DSP to get the clean, unmanipulated signal to the Mojo.
Using the EQ does push the voices forward slightly, but at the same time the digital signal processor in the R3 kills the magic of the Mojo.

The good thig is that I don't feel the mids lacking any more, as I did at some point.
That's interesting and I wonder if I just got used to it or if it's a burn in effect. Someone was referring to such an effect.
They have been burning in for at least 100 hours and sound really good with the foam tips and I am very much looking forward to getting my customs tips made next week.
Honestly also a bit nervous if the tips will alter the sound... I like it so much as it is!

From the graph that @vault108 provided, I think you should boost EQ like this :

20hz +2db to up sub bass and its extension
30hz +1db to up sub bass

from there they are all very great, i cant believe this perfect tuning. Most of iems out there have boosted mid bass that bleeds reach until 200-100 territory, tendency for muddy.

800hz +2db to bring forward mid (male voices)
1khz +3db to bring forward mid (male & female voices)
2khz +5db to boost extension of female voices and details of some instruments
2.5khz if possible +5db to add details of some instruments and made overall sound become a bit wider and brighter

leave 3khz as it already good enough

6khz +1db if you like more sparkle on treble

Please do not over do it
Feel free to try this but,
just take it as grain of salt since i dont have KPE yet, but going to press [ADD TO CART] button soon enough.

Im an EQ man, always EQing all my iems to reach target and from the target (i use 2018 harman reference for that) i adjust a little bit for my taste. My taste is a deep big sub bass, clean mid bass, little forward mid, a little bit sparkle, much air. Other than that, soundstage, layering, depth, clarity, micro details cant be reach with EQ, it all depends on how good an iem is.
Im listen to vocals, pop jazz, pop, jazz, soul, and all technical sound recording like binaural etc.

Jan 13, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #377 of 12,007
I have Kanas Pro and EN700 Pro. EN700 Pro have been my favorite/preferred IEM for a quite long time. KP are superior technically but sometime feel veiled by comparison to EN700 Pro, 3-5 khz region seems lacking a bit, I had quite a bit of difficulty to adjust to KP sound sig because of that. KP scales up to my higher end sources while EN700 Pro reaches its limits below that. If Simgot made an EN700 Pro II with DLC driver tech, I'd buy it immediately.

I think its 6khz there, since 3-5khz seems quite good enough for me. you can try it, its free after all and doesnt damage your iems nor your sources lol

Jan 13, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #378 of 12,007
I have Kanas Pro and EN700 Pro. EN700 Pro have been my favorite/preferred IEM for a quite long time. KP are superior technically but sometime feel veiled by comparison to EN700 Pro, 3-5 khz region seems lacking a bit, I had quite a bit of difficulty to adjust to KP sound sig because of that. KP scales up to my higher end sources while EN700 Pro reaches its limits below that. If Simgot made an EN700 Pro II with DLC driver tech, I'd buy it immediately.
Thanks for the response!

If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions:
1) Could you elaborate on what you meant by your statement quoted below?
KP are superior technically but sometime feel veiled by comparison to EN700 Pro, 3-5 khz region seems lacking a bit, I had quite a bit of difficulty to adjust to KP sound sig because of that.
2) How would you describe the KP's sound signature relative to the EN700 Pro?

Really looking forward to your reply. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #379 of 12,007
Has anyone compared these to DMG? From listening to HBB's demos the DMG seem to have the closest voice rendition to the XBA-N3 which does voices really nice and natural which I enjoy. Next seems to be the IT01s and OH1. The KP sounds pretty honky and artificial to me and I'm afraid it might not be the recording equipment cause what he recorded for the IEMs I also own, have the same differences from the source material I notice in real life. KP seem to add more coloration to voices than IT01s or N3 compared to the source material. How natural do voices sound in real life? Is DMG or IT01s a better choice?

Jan 13, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #380 of 12,007
Does Moondrp make a balanced cable with the same earplugs that they use? Looking for one. Kanas Pro-sounds good balanced out of my Shanling M3s and Zishan DSD. Better than single ended on those devices. Very clear mids and tighter bass. Better soundstage. One of the IEMs that seem to benefit well from balanced.

Jan 14, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #381 of 12,007
From the graph that @vault108 provided, I think you should boost EQ like this :

20hz +2db to up sub bass and its extension
30hz +1db to up sub bass

from there they are all very great, i cant believe this perfect tuning. Most of iems out there have boosted mid bass that bleeds reach until 200-100 territory, tendency for muddy.

800hz +2db to bring forward mid (male voices)
1khz +3db to bring forward mid (male & female voices)
2khz +5db to boost extension of female voices and details of some instruments
2.5khz if possible +5db to add details of some instruments and made overall sound become a bit wider and brighter

leave 3khz as it already good enough

6khz +1db if you like more sparkle on treble

Please do not over do it
Feel free to try this but,
just take it as grain of salt since i dont have KPE yet, but going to press [ADD TO CART] button soon enough.

Im an EQ man, always EQing all my iems to reach target and from the target (i use 2018 harman reference for that) i adjust a little bit for my taste. My taste is a deep big sub bass, clean mid bass, little forward mid, a little bit sparkle, much air. Other than that, soundstage, layering, depth, clarity, micro details cant be reach with EQ, it all depends on how good an iem is.
Im listen to vocals, pop jazz, pop, jazz, soul, and all technical sound recording like binaural etc.

Thanks for your suggestions!
I quickly tried them on my HiBy R3,leaving the Mojo out of the chain to listen for the frequency tuning rather than the differences of unprocessed vs processed digital signal.
Interestingly activiating the EQ still had a negative impact on SQ, not frequency balance, but actual SQ. I was listening to Robin Williams "Ain't that a kick in the head" and his voice became slightly nasal and hollow when activating the EQ (and compensating for volume changes). The whole musical impression felt a little hollow and "wrong". I switched a couple of times and every time I found the non-EQd music to be more engaging, fluid and natural. I also didn't get te expected forward male voice, but the brass became a bit more prominent.
For reference I listened to the same song also through Mojo and the magic was back, the full, clear, natural and engaging sound I love about this combo. It made me just listen to the track all the way to the end. With the R3 I simply don't have that.

But the KPE I like more and more. Burn them in and give them a long listen before EQing them, or at least come back to non-EQ sometimes to check if it's really necessary. I find they have characteristics that I thought were contradictory - full, clear, extended, smooth and even a little sparkly. I am sure there is better out there, but I didn't expect that good sound for this money.

Jan 14, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #382 of 12,007
Thanks for your suggestions!
I quickly tried them on my HiBy R3,leaving the Mojo out of the chain to listen for the frequency tuning rather than the differences of unprocessed vs processed digital signal.
Interestingly activiating the EQ still had a negative impact on SQ, not frequency balance, but actual SQ. I was listening to Robin Williams "Ain't that a kick in the head" and his voice became slightly nasal and hollow when activating the EQ (and compensating for volume changes). The whole musical impression felt a little hollow and "wrong". I switched a couple of times and every time I found the non-EQd music to be more engaging, fluid and natural. I also didn't get te expected forward male voice, but the brass became a bit more prominent.
For reference I listened to the same song also through Mojo and the magic was back, the full, clear, natural and engaging sound I love about this combo. It made me just listen to the track all the way to the end. With the R3 I simply don't have that.

But the KPE I like more and more. Burn them in and give them a long listen before EQing them, or at least come back to non-EQ sometimes to check if it's really necessary. I find they have characteristics that I thought were contradictory - full, clear, extended, smooth and even a little sparkly. I am sure there is better out there, but I didn't expect that good sound for this money.

Thanks for pointing that out. Maybe adding +5db on 2khz and 2.5khz made it sounds honky / nasal try to lowering it down.
BUt youre correct, The best is actually not to EQ at all if there is such iem really perfect and suits our personal taste, but sadly there is no such perfect or perfect for our personal taste. And some iems are easy to drive and EQing without changing their SQ, but some iems can effect their SQ.
For me adjusting EQ also takes few days, listen carefully with slight adjust, then listen to many songs and still fell wrong, and keep adjusting. like my ears and my brain are playing with me. I hate and love at same time on situation like this.

I will burn them for few days before listen to KPE for sure. Thanks.

Jan 14, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #383 of 12,007
How is the Kanas Pro sound signature? Is it warm or bright? I personally prefer bright and I never get annoyed by treble of KZ stuff.

I am currently using BGVP DM6 and is seeking for something new that suits my preference better.

Jan 14, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #385 of 12,007
@Extrasensory I'd say the Kanas pro is neutral to brightish.... while I'd say the DM6 is on the warm side.

Thanks but does brightish mean quite bright? I am not a native speaker. I also would like to know about its treble. I love treble same or even more than I love bass!

I saw in your profile that you have both Kanas Pro and Shanling M0 in your possession. Do they pair well together? My M0 sometimes doesn't seem to produce the best sound with DM6. I should have trusted one guy who told me about this in M0 thread.

Jan 14, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #386 of 12,007
@Extrasensory I'd say the Kanas pro is neutral to brightish.... while I'd say the DM6 is on the warm side.
DM6 seems to have littlebit more mids but also more prominent mid-bass and faster sub-bass roll-off. But, DM6 has kind of spikehill at 7-8kHz.
What I`m wondering is how DM6 compares with Kinera IDUN deluxe (spikehills at 6 & 8kHz):
10223048.jpg

(deluxe is red line)
jv8n4b6fn4021.jpg
Personally, relying only to graphs, I would prefer idun deluxe over DM6.
Both of them are really appealing to me...
...but going with KP this time.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #387 of 12,007
DM6 seems to have littlebit more mids but also more prominent mid-bass and faster sub-bass roll-off. But, DM6 has kind of spikehill at 7-8kHz.
What I`m wondering is how DM6 compares with Kinera IDUN deluxe (spikehills at 6 & 8kHz):
10223048.jpg

(deluxe is red line)
jv8n4b6fn4021.jpg
Personally, relying only to graphs, I would prefer idun deluxe over DM6.
Both of them are really appealing to me...
...but going with KP this time.

Deluxe = Green line

Jan 14, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #388 of 12,007
@Extrasensory @CoiL for my ears, DM6 has a boost in midbass that ends up making me perceive them as a bit on the warm side, especially when vocals come in ... I compared DM6 and the Whizzer Kylin here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...essions-pg2507.586909/page-2720#post-14660393 ... TL/DR: to my ears, DM6 has more treble proper than the Kylin, BUT that boost in midbass I hear makes me perceive them as warmer, overall, while I perceive the Kylin as brighter.

@Extrasensory no problems that I can see with the M0

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #389 of 12,007
Jan 14, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #390 of 12,007
Yeah, my mistake. Anyway, they seem like head-to-head competition.
Anyway, KP on it`s way here soon ;P

Good deal on them now too with the Aliexpress deals this week. Can grab them for 126 euro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back