Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jun 11, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #2,986 of 12,007

Thanks for your reply! :)

Did you maybe see it on the Shenzhen Audio page (see picture)? That question to them was actually asked by myself....lol.
Also some pages before in this thread somebody posted some first impressions of the KXXS. It`d be just nice to have a long and proper review with more details. I am not necessarily looking for an upgrade - I am just curious because I am a big fand of the Kanas Pro and would like to know in detail how the signature has changed...

Anyway, thanks again...
HAHA lol XD

Well, that maybe a 10% of the sound signature.

You know what, im currently eye-ing on Fearless S8Pro/Freedom or Fiio FH7.

Im finding an upgrade from KanasPro, I want a bigger soundstage and better details. Also, by not leaving bass behind.

Any idea on these?

Jun 11, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #2,987 of 12,007
Jun 11, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #2,989 of 12,007
I got myself an A8, and it is the Yin to the Andromeda’s Yang. The A8 firmly loses out when it comes to soundstage, imaging, and treble extension, and the Andromeda’s warmer, fuller tonality makes it better for male vocals. The A8 is not replacing your open-back any time soon unless you have an HD650 or something.

On the other hand, the A8 has more mid-bass impact with less muddy upper bass, more vocal clarity, more engaging upper mids, less fatiguing mid-treble, more neutral tonal balance, and more realistic timbre. The A8 has a more textured midrange, while the Andromeda does high treble detail better. The low treble doesn’t sound mushy on the A8 when playing less well-mastered music, either. The A8 is much less picky with sources, too, only hissing very quietly out of an iPhone dongle and not specifically needing a source with an output impedance between 1-2 ohms to sound good.

As financially irresponsible as it may be, I think I will keep both of these. They both do what they set out to do well and provide interesting contrasting experiences.
Thank you so much, this is a good comparison that helps who's interested in buying some item :)

Jun 11, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #2,990 of 12,007
Nice except I do not agree with lacking sound stage, or imaging. Not even one bit at all. Treble extension sure, ill give you that one. When I sink into my a8s I lose track of the IEMs being in my ears and the sounds stage opens up around me. 3D holographic and all of that. Keep in mind Im at prolly 500+hrs play time.

Jun 11, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #2,991 of 12,007
HAHA lol XD

Well, that maybe a 10% of the sound signature.

You know what, im currently eye-ing on Fearless S8Pro/Freedom or Fiio FH7.

Im finding an upgrade from KanasPro, I want a bigger soundstage and better details. Also, by not leaving bass behind.

Any idea on these?
dunno about the fh7but the s8f surprisingly narrow soundstage but has good depth to it.

they sounded more v shape, so mid can feel abit recessed. but for the price they are really good. not a giant or totl killer (no such thing IMO) but totally worth the price if u dig the sound sig.

if u are in SG try to get a demo first and see if u like it or not.

Jun 11, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #2,992 of 12,007
dunno about the fh7but the s8f surprisingly narrow soundstage but has good depth to it.

they sounded more v shape, so mid can feel abit recessed. but for the price they are really good. not a giant or totl killer (no such thing IMO) but totally worth the price if u dig the sound sig.

if u are in SG try to get a demo first and see if u like it or not.
I live in United States currently, I just bought DM7 to try out. It is tamed down from A8 which I do really wish to try out. I have the KPE but i have no idea on how A8 signature (i mean, i've never exp by myself). Anyone here has DM7 experience?

Jun 11, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #2,993 of 12,007
Interesting! From your review the TFZ superpasses the KPE in all areas?
But would you say it sounds just as clean in the lower mid area as the KPE, because the TFZ seems to have quite a bit more warmth and midbass?
To me, personally, this cleanness is one of the biggest strengthes of the KPE (even though some people find it thin) and I am wondering how much the general sound signature would change if it had more midbass (and if I still would like it)?
The lower midrange of No.3 Ti is clearer than the KPE. Vocals are full yet clean. Cheers! :)

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:34 AM Post #2,995 of 12,007
Help! I can't decide on Moondrop A8 or BGVP DM7. A8 at 530usd while DM7 at 300USD and top up around 50usd for custom ear impression mould. Any insights?
What is Your source gear? What genres You listen? What is Your sound signature preference?

Edit: So, No.3 Ti is basically "same" as KPE but with more bass ?

Now we need comparison vs. regular No.3 too (109$) - @Hawaiibadboy , Please do that! :wink:
KPE (180$) vs. No.3 Ti (300$) vs. No.3 (109$) - this is "war" of price vs. SQ!

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #2,996 of 12,007
What is Your source gear? What genres You listen? What is Your sound signature preference?

My go to headphone is Hifiman HE400i, IEM is for now DM6 (though I find it a tad coloured). Prev I use Mee Pinnacle P1 for IEM and ATH M50 for headphones. I hated CA Polaris V2 and found my DM6 miles better for my taste. I like CA Andromeda but too much smoothing that eats the micro details.

I listen to Jazz n Lounge (Quartets and trios, jazz pop. E.g. Snarky Puppy, Olivia Trummer, Lage Lund to the nore pop ones like Michael Buble and Simone Kopmajer), Blues, Rock (and its derivatives like grunge, soft rock, etc. E g Shinedown, Mr. Big, Bon Jovi, Radiohead), , Broadway Musicals, Acoustic Covers.

I don't listen to EDM and its derivatives at all.

My source is Hiby R3 (balanced most of the times), LG G7, looking to buy Fiio M11 or M13 if the price not too crazy.

Jun 12, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #2,997 of 12,007
No.3 is not the one that actually recommended tho. the No.3 TI were the one that was brought up as better than than kanas pro or a worth while upgrade.

at that price i honestly would look at ex800st. kanas pro have a nice sound quality and if u own one i don't think u need to side grade to No.3 TI or O2 or Kxxs. (unless u really prefer how either No.3 TI, O2, and Kxxs sounded)

but if u are looking for a new IEM under $300 then maybe considering them is a good choice.

People probably want an iem that can isolate

Edit: So, No.3 Ti is basically "same" as KPE but with more bass ?

Now we need comparison vs. regular No.3 too (109$) - @Hawaiibadboy , Please do that! :wink:
KPE (180$) vs. No.3 Ti (300$) vs. No.3 (109$) - this is "war" of price vs. SQ!

He also has the KXXS coming

Jun 12, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #2,998 of 12,007
He also has the KXXS coming
Yeah, I really would like to know if "upgrading" from KPE to Oxygen or No.3 Ti is worth the money and how KXXS and regular No.3 compares to KPE head-to-head !? @Hawaiibadboy , my money is on You and Your opinion (don`t take it seriously)! :wink:

Jun 12, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #2,999 of 12,007
Yeah, I really would like to know if "upgrading" from KPE to Oxygen or No.3 Ti is worth the money and how KXXS and regular No.3 compares to KPE head-to-head !? @Hawaiibadboy , my money is on You and Your opinion (don`t take it seriously)! :wink:

Love my Kanas pro but love the No.3 a tad more due to bass. But not the metal one the $109 plastic shell graphs just like the metal one and sounds like it too. Not worth $300 for metal shell unless money is no issue. For the rest of folks the TFZ No.3 is really nice.

Enjoy the Oxygen a lot but nozzle and design makes it hard for me to get a good seal. Those folks tuned a great IEM. If they offered a "Pro" version that was identical with a slightly longer stem I'd be all over that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back