Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jun 9, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #2,926 of 11,982
What does it mean to normalize the graphs? How did you normalize the graphs? I understand how to set one as a baseline, but don’t see any way to normalize.
If you look on the page, there is a normalize button at the bottom. There is also a frequency value. You can have it set to pin both at a particular frequency that they both match (or both graphs overlap at the particular frequency). I think the default setting of 1k is a good normalizing point.

Normalizing in this context means shifting the graphs to overlap them in a common point or frequency that provide a clearer perspective of the differences. Normalizing is like a level matching at a reference point (at a frequency) in this case.

There is also buttons for each graph to shift the graph up and down.

This is a nifty tool, probably the best tool I've used of a measurement database. I think back in the days Headroom had similar comparison tool.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #2,928 of 11,982
If you look on the page, there is a normalize button at the bottom. There is also a frequency value. You can have it set to pin both at a particular frequency that they both match (or both graphs overlap at the particular frequency). I think the default setting of 1k is a good normalizing point.

Normalizing in this context means shifting the graphs to overlap them in a common point or frequency that provide a clearer perspective of the differences. Normalizing is like a level matching at a reference point (at a frequency) in this case.

There is also buttons for each graph to shift the graph up and down.

This is a nifty tool, probably the best tool I've used of a measurement database. I think back in the days Headroom had similar comparison tool.

Not showing on mobile right now, probably have to use the desktop site.

That makes sense, since I live on my iPad... will check it out later on my desktop...

Jun 9, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #2,930 of 11,982
Graphs can look good, or look bad, but the only way to tell how one hears the earphone is by placing them in your ears. All these graph comparisons, big waste of time IMHO.
Yes, I know, they can give you a base idea of how they will sound. For me, they often don't.

Rather just read a well written comparison based on what one hears.
Even then the reviewer may not hear the same way as you.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #2,931 of 11,982
I have both. xDSD has wider sound, plus there are 2 analog switches for extra bass and wider stage (3D).
But in real life the difference is minimal, I use ES100 on the go because of the smaller size factor and built in mic for calls.
xDSD is used as desktop DAC to feed my I over ears at home together with bigger amp.
Interesting. I do love the portability. and also love the wider soundstage. This is going to be hard.

The only that can solve this problem is Hiby W5, I have my friend that has that for on the go. Most users say W5 has a clearer and wider sound signature. I do really want that but it is now pre order :frowning2:

Jun 9, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #2,932 of 11,982
What does it mean to normalize the graphs? How did you normalize the graphs? I understand how to set one as a baseline, but don’t see any way to normalize.
Nothing magical, it just shifts the curves to be at the same level at the normalization point of 1kHz. Makes comparison easier

Jun 9, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #2,933 of 11,982
Graphs can look good, or look bad, but the only way to tell how one hears the earphone is by placing them in your ears. All these graph comparisons, big waste of time IMHO.
Yes, I know, they can give you a base idea of how they will sound. For me, they often don't.

Rather just read a well written comparison based on what one hears.
Even then the reviewer may not hear the same way as you.

I agree and disagree at the same time. Graphs only tell part of the story, but there are many qualities that are not shown.

But on one hand it gives me an idea of tuning and on the other hand it‘s really interesting to look at a graph of an IEM and listen to it, trying to understand the connection.

Listening to the MEE P1 right now and I hear those treble spikes!
What I can‘t hear at all is the difference between boomy and tight bass, and the same measured quantity of bass sounds much more when it’s boomy, less when it’s tight...

Still, great to have the tool! Very useful IMO

Jun 9, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #2,934 of 11,982
All information is useful. Graphs have their place, as do written reviews. It’s just more constructive to know how to use that info, and how not to use it. Not sure why it has to be either or. Crinacle’s graph database and comparison tool is helpful, and well-built. For example, it’s useful for me to see how different the bass and mid relationship is with the KPE, the regular Kanas, and the E5000 (current IEM of choice).

Anyways, back on-topic... I just ordered the Kanas regular edition and a decent 2.5mm balanced cable to go with it. Since I like my sub-bass and I use Spiral Dot tips exclusively, opting for the regular edition over the KPE made sense for me. Can’t wait to plug it into my DAP!!

Jun 9, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #2,935 of 11,982
Screenshot (322).png

Jun 9, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #2,937 of 11,982
I take it, E5000 is your other fav. What is your top iems? Can you rank them?
E5000 take the musical enjoyment first place
Etymotic ER4S has to be my most technical IEM but the banned HQ10 is very close with more lush kind of sound
hard for me to rank them, i listen to a lot of different types of music and it depends on that
i never had high end IEM s though, i had some top of the line headphones before (HD800) and one step below the flagship (HE500) but have no experience with high end earphones

Jun 9, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #2,939 of 11,982
That's why I chose the regular Kanas over the Pro Edition. We'll see if my decision was a mistake once it arrives! Lol.
Regular Kanas will be closer to the E5000, fuller, E5000 sound lush and euphoric in comparison with the Kanas Pro, if that is your thing the regular Kanas will be better for you

Jun 9, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #2,940 of 11,982
I bought both es100 and xdsd for the kanas pro and will delivered on monday. I will keep one of them. The one that has better soundstage. Anyone here has experience on these?
Use 2.5 on es 100 and everythinh will get even better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back