Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jun 5, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #2,851 of 11,979
IMHO KPE is worth every penny upgrading from IT01. And if You are more into bass, then regular KP fits the bill.

Excuse my ignorance, is Kanas Pro Edition and Kanas Pro different? If so that's very confusing naming! I can't find much on the internet about it if so as well.

Jun 5, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #2,853 of 11,979
the regular Kanas is warmer with more bass impact

Thanks. Well that's fine, I like warm and bassy - getting them from Drop. However, I see them used interchangably in reviews and stuff.

Jun 5, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #2,854 of 11,979
So I bought Crescent based on good reviews here. I've got to say I'm a bit disappointed. It's not bad at all, but bass is a bit heavy and most importantly, treble is too hot for me. It's very obvious that there's a problem with it comparing to T2. As far as I was able to understand by running them with frequemcy sweep, it's because Crescent peaks earlier than T2, at ~5-6khz, while T2 peaks at ~6-7khz, but I'm a noob so I may be wrong. My reference is jbl lsr305 monitors and akg k550 closed backa and I'm looking for something close to that in IEM, and I wonder if Kanas Pro would be close, because Crescent certainly isn't.

I'm open to any other suggestions, of course.

If you like your T2 and want an upgrade for your T2, kanas pro is the answer. Its basically an upgrade almost im every aspect of T2 and give perfect patch to T2's biggest hole which is lack of bass. Read my review of Kanas Pro, I've written in comparison to T2 also

Jun 5, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #2,855 of 11,979
Excuse my ignorance, is Kanas Pro Edition and Kanas Pro different? If so that's very confusing naming! I can't find much on the internet about it if so as well.

There is Kanas and Kanas Pro, there is no Kanas Pro Edition but many people call the Kanas Pro like that for some reason so KP = KPE.

Jun 5, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #2,856 of 11,979
Oh sorry! Typo! I meant KPE/KP and regular Kanas.

Jun 5, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #2,857 of 11,979
Oh sorry! Typo! I meant KPE/KP and regular Kanas.

No problem! I just got confused for a bit because I see people say KPE and on Amazon they say KANAS PRO EDITION, but then on Massdrop it just says KANAS PRO, but people were calling them KPE. Thanks for the clarification friends.

Jun 5, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #2,859 of 11,979
Glad You got Your KPE back!

Jun 5, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #2,860 of 11,979
Thanks. Well that's fine, I like warm and bassy - getting them from Drop. However, I see them used interchangably in reviews and stuff.

I don't think the regular Kanas has been "dropped" before. Just the Pro Edition. If it has been, that would be good news to me!

Jun 5, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #2,861 of 11,979
If you mean IT01, the search function will answer your questions.

Thanks for the tip and I did just that and felt like I opened Pandora's box! Now my simple question turned into a bunch of questions. So in a way I'm disagreeing with you but thanking you for the reminder!

Thanks to @CoiL and @ozziecook for your perspectives! Really appreciate all the info going back many pages and continuing in these last couple days.

I went from curiosity about the standard KPE vs IT01 to comparing modded versions of each, by the way those mods change the IEMs in different directions but somehow toward one another.

I'm not sure if I can make a decision without a demo and this question was prompted because I'm borrowing an IT01 which I find great! You may laugh but I'm comparing it to my DMG which have many hours on them and I feel so far they have similarity. At first I was having a little Buyer's Remorse after hearing the IT01 but then realized I had spacer-modded the IT01 and was using a Spiral Dot tip vs a Sony Hybrid on the DMG. The modded IT01 (spacer and Spiral Dot) still delivers great bass but with this intoxicating air. I switched the DMG from a Sony Hybrid to the Spiral Dot and now there's air and bass on the same scale, maybe more. That subbass of the IT01 also adds that extra meat to drums that I feel can't be ignored and I'm fairly certain the DMG lacks, need to listen more.

Also, another nice thing about the DMG is that it doesn't need a spacer mod because the stem design limits tip travel. It takes time but ever time I learn something new in this hobby, I have to revisit everything I thought I knew. Lol

In any case, so awesome having this sound quality for not so much money, but not too little to be quite honest. I'm also coming to an odd realization that when I start with an IEM, it's usually too treble hot initially out of the box which I correct with tips and over time I seem to be gravitating back to Spiral Dots once the treble calms down. They really offer the best presentation of space and for my ears, the L fit great.

So to tie this all back to the KPE, I listen routinely to the DMG, DM6 and T3 and other not so interesting (at the moment) IEms. The IT01 is great IEM to demo and took me by surprise and thus so got me thinking about the KPE (which I've read this entire thread but somehow tuned out all the great IT01 comparison info, selective reading at its best) so I'm trying to see what the next step will be. Some comments on the KPE are very attractive (soundstage, subbass, no exaggerated mid bass, addictive mids, no sibilance, great imaging) and others make me run (less bass than DM6?). I've heard the KPE referenced as a direct upgrade to the T3 which is like a middle of the road sound but after hearing the IT01, I'm wondering how comparable they are, maybe a merging of the T3 with the IT01 which I think fits the bill.

Any comments help but in the end, I think getting my hands on a pair will be the only way to hear what you all are saying.

Thanks!

Jun 6, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #2,862 of 11,979
Thanks for the tip and I did just that and felt like I opened Pandora's box! Now my simple question turned into a bunch of questions. So in a way I'm disagreeing with you but thanking you for the reminder!

Thanks to @CoiL and @ozziecook for your perspectives! Really appreciate all the info going back many pages and continuing in these last couple days.

I went from curiosity about the standard KPE vs IT01 to comparing modded versions of each, by the way those mods change the IEMs in different directions but somehow toward one another.

I'm not sure if I can make a decision without a demo and this question was prompted because I'm borrowing an IT01 which I find great! You may laugh but I'm comparing it to my DMG which have many hours on them and I feel so far they have similarity. At first I was having a little Buyer's Remorse after hearing the IT01 but then realized I had spacer-modded the IT01 and was using a Spiral Dot tip vs a Sony Hybrid on the DMG. The modded IT01 (spacer and Spiral Dot) still delivers great bass but with this intoxicating air. I switched the DMG from a Sony Hybrid to the Spiral Dot and now there's air and bass on the same scale, maybe more. That subbass of the IT01 also adds that extra meat to drums that I feel can't be ignored and I'm fairly certain the DMG lacks, need to listen more.

Also, another nice thing about the DMG is that it doesn't need a spacer mod because the stem design limits tip travel. It takes time but ever time I learn something new in this hobby, I have to revisit everything I thought I knew. Lol

In any case, so awesome having this sound quality for not so much money, but not too little to be quite honest. I'm also coming to an odd realization that when I start with an IEM, it's usually too treble hot initially out of the box which I correct with tips and over time I seem to be gravitating back to Spiral Dots once the treble calms down. They really offer the best presentation of space and for my ears, the L fit great.

So to tie this all back to the KPE, I listen routinely to the DMG, DM6 and T3 and other not so interesting (at the moment) IEms. The IT01 is great IEM to demo and took me by surprise and thus so got me thinking about the KPE (which I've read this entire thread but somehow tuned out all the great IT01 comparison info, selective reading at its best) so I'm trying to see what the next step will be. Some comments on the KPE are very attractive (soundstage, subbass, no exaggerated mid bass, addictive mids, no sibilance, great imaging) and others make me run (less bass than DM6?). I've heard the KPE referenced as a direct upgrade to the T3 which is like a middle of the road sound but after hearing the IT01, I'm wondering how comparable they are, maybe a merging of the T3 with the IT01 which I think fits the bill.

Any comments help but in the end, I think getting my hands on a pair will be the only way to hear what you all are saying.

Thanks!

The KPE has nothing's alike the IT01 or the T3. The IT01 is an V-Shape, with good and big bass. The t3 is less V than the IT01 (less bass), but still a V. The KP is an L-Shape.

Just compare these graphs:

Screenshot_20190605-224500.png

Screenshot_20190606-010422.png

About KP Bass, the quantity is almost the same as the Tanchjim Cora (wich I have). And it is very impactful and controlled, at the same time. The Tanchjim Cora and the KP graphs very similar:

Screenshot_20190605-224500.png

Screenshot_20190605-074827.png

About the T3 graph, Crinacle has one, but it is "Raw". You can compare his graph with these above, but you need to look for the faded grey line:
PicsArt_06-06-01.16.11.png

T3 Raw Graph (Crinacle):
Screenshot_20190606-011821.png

Jun 6, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #2,863 of 11,979
Could you post a song, or several, where you have the problem and describe what you are hearing?
I'm now convinced that the problem with Crescent is mostly at 4k(at least for me). I'd say you can take any song. The first thing I noticed when I put the Crescents on is how unusually and unnaturally clear the vocals sound, almost like the vocalist has the microphone in his/her throat. I'm exaggerating a little bit to make a point, but that's what I hear. I listen to a lot of big band jazz, latin jazz, and when the cymbals hit full force together with trumpet section... not great at all and they don't sound natural to me.

So if Kanas Pro has same amount or more at 4k then it's probably not for me. @DynamicEars, I've read your review and comparison with T2, but I wonder if KP has less or more treble than T2? T2 definitely has too much treble for me overall.

Jun 6, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #2,864 of 11,979
I'm now convinced that the problem with Crescent is mostly at 4k(at least for me). I'd say you can take any song. The first thing I noticed when I put the Crescents on is how unusually and unnaturally clear the vocals sound, almost like the vocalist has the microphone in his/her throat. I'm exaggerating a little bit to make a point, but that's what I hear. I listen to a lot of big band jazz, latin jazz, and when the cymbals hit full force together with trumpet section... not great at all and they don't sound natural to me.

So if Kanas Pro has same amount or more at 4k then it's probably not for me. @DynamicEars, I've read your review and comparison with T2, but I wonder if KP has less or more treble than T2? T2 definitely has too much treble for me overall.
You can`t just judge by amount of dB level @ 4kHz - the whole picture of FR graph is important as that 4khz can be "balanced out" by other frequencies. It is not so easy to interpret graphs.

Jun 6, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #2,865 of 11,979

I have both T2 and KPE. KPE has less treble and is more natural sounding. KPEs treble is also smoother as long as you dont listen to music very loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back