Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jun 5, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #2,836 of 11,978
Can anyone compared the KPE to the IY01 and more significantly the bass of both IEMs?
That should say pretty much all:
9940629_l.jpg

9940680_l.png

IT01 is noticeably more V-shaped in sound signature with neutral/recessed mids and noticeably more bass presence. Also, IT01 soundstage is narrower and instruments less spread out and layered.

IMHO KPE is worth every penny upgrading from IT01. And if You are more into bass, then regular KP fits the bill.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #2,837 of 11,978
So I bought Crescent based on good reviews here. I've got to say I'm a bit disappointed. It's not bad at all, but bass is a bit heavy and most importantly, treble is too hot for me. It's very obvious that there's a problem with it comparing to T2. As far as I was able to understand by running them with frequemcy sweep, it's because Crescent peaks earlier than T2, at ~5-6khz, while T2 peaks at ~6-7khz, but I'm a noob so I may be wrong. My reference is jbl lsr305 monitors and akg k550 closed backa and I'm looking for something close to that in IEM, and I wonder if Kanas Pro would be close, because Crescent certainly isn't.

I'm open to any other suggestions, of course.
A little strange. As far as I know the Crescent has less treble than the T2. Maybe there's something wrong with your Crescent.

Jun 5, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #2,838 of 11,978
A little strange. As far as I know the Crescent has less treble than the T2. Maybe there's something wrong with your Crescent.
Maybe he is having bad fit/wrong size tips?

Jun 5, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #2,839 of 11,978
9940629_l.jpg

9940680_l.png

IT01 is noticeably more V-shaped in sound signature with neutral/recessed mids and noticeably more bass presence. Also, IT01 soundstage is narrower and instruments less spread out and layered.

IMHO KPE is worth every penny upgrading from IT01. And if You are more into bass, then regular KP fits the bill.[/QUOTE
Isn’t the V shape you describe for the IT01 just because the low end is more pronounced tho? Ie It’s relative.There’s no recess as such. Mids FQs are still at the same level as that of KP.
Personally I don’t get that the soundstage of IT01 is narrower either. Or less spread out and layered. Maybe there are other factors at play here: fit/tips, source synergy etc.
I feel IT01, with my gear, generates a bigger overall sound and stage and makes KP polite and gentle sounding. Granted probably more authentic - but not as fun.
But then KP never fitted me that well.

Jun 5, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #2,840 of 11,978
So I bought Crescent based on good reviews here. I've got to say I'm a bit disappointed. It's not bad at all, but bass is a bit heavy and most importantly, treble is too hot for me. It's very obvious that there's a problem with it comparing to T2. As far as I was able to understand by running them with frequemcy sweep, it's because Crescent peaks earlier than T2, at ~5-6khz, while T2 peaks at ~6-7khz, but I'm a noob so I may be wrong. My reference is jbl lsr305 monitors and akg k550 closed backa and I'm looking for something close to that in IEM, and I wonder if Kanas Pro would be close, because Crescent certainly isn't.

I'm open to any other suggestions, of course.

I would make sure at first if you are sensitive to the Crescent's 8kHz spike or the elevated upper mids/lower treble at 3-4kHz.
According to this review you can reduce the 8kHz peak significantly with some Comply foam tips (scroll down to the measurement)
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/moondrop-crescent.23589/reviews

If it's the 8kHz spike you don't like, the KPE might be a solution, as their treble is smoother, but still has some spike in that region.
If it's the elevated upper mid/lower treble then the KPE is not for you, it has a bigger emphasis on that range. That said, the KPE has much better detail, clarity, separation and sound stage than the Crescent.
(I had the KPE and still have the Crescent, and IMO they are very far apart)

Jun 5, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #2,841 of 11,978
9940629_l.jpg

9940680_l.png

IMHO KPE is worth every penny upgrading from IT01. And if You are more into bass, then regular KP fits the bill.

I don't get that assessment. Surely IT01 mids are only 'recessed' in relation to the rest of the curve? It still hits the same spot as KP...in fact slightly higher if anything.
I know IT01 is labelled a slightly V-shaped IEM but I think that's inaccurate as the mids are very present. It certainly has more bass presence than KP but I also wouldn't say that it's soundstage is any narrower or instruments less spread out at all.
I think direct like-for-like comparisons between IEMs are so misleading as fit/tips, source/amping synergy can play a huge part.

To my ears, with my gear, IT01 is a much more fun IEM with a bigger overall sound and staging (especially since I removed the nozzle meshes like you suggested). It's perhaps more crude than KP and makes KP sound a bit polite and gentle (barring the sub bass). That said, KP is probably more flat and truer.
Depends what you want. I'm not after massive detail like some, I lean more towards wanting to FEEL the music more - like a live performance.
That said, maybe I never got the best out of KP as it never did fit my ears that well with that long angled nozzle.

Jun 5, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #2,842 of 11,978
I would make sure at first if you are sensitive to the Crescent's 8kHz spike or the elevated upper mids/lower treble at 3-4kHz.
According to this review you can reduce the 8kHz peak significantly with some Comply foam tips (scroll down to the measurement)

If it's the 8kHz spike you don't like, the KPE might be a solution, as their treble is smoother, but still has some spike in that region.
If it's the elevated upper mid/lower treble then the KPE is not for you, it has a bigger emphasis on that range. That said, the KPE has much better detail, clarity, separation and sound stage than the Crescent.
Agree with you, except for one thing: the upper mids aren't elevated on the Crescent nor on the KP. A measured rise, with an elevation about 12db on 3khz means "neutral", in quantity, due to the human hearing compensation. There is an HRTF curve used by Hearing Aids manufactures, and also some IEM brands like Etymotic. I strongly suspected that Harman used this curve as a starting point to the researchs during development of the IE Target curve, due to it's similarity. If anyone interested, just watch this video until 4:30 (there's a explanation of this HRTF curve).

https://cymbacavum.com/2018/02/16/k...ction-teaches-us-about-iem-design-and-tuning/

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #2,843 of 11,978
Try the crescents with small bore tips. They sound hot in the treble with original tips but with mh755 or mh1 tips they smooth out and relax the treble.
Maybe he is having bad fit/wrong size tips?
I've tried New bee foam and silicon tips. I don't feel a significant difference between them, but I find that silicone mediums fit me very well compared to stock tips which are terrible, imo.
By bore, you mean the opening, right? I'm not completely up to speed on IEM terms yet.

I would agree that perceived level of treble is lower on Crescent, but it starts rising earlier than on T2, which I think is the issue for me. T2's treble is silky smooth and non fatiguing, but I the scan't say the same about Crescent.

Agree with you, except for one thing: the upper mids aren't elevated on the Crescent nor on the KP. A measured rise, with an elevation about 12db on 3khz means "neutral", in quantity, due to the human hearing compensation. There is an HRTF curve used by Hearing Aids manufactures, and also some IEM brands like Etymotic. I strongly suspected that Harman used this curve as a starting point to the researchs during development of the IE Target curve, due to it's similarity. If anyone interested, just watch this video until 4:30 (there's a explanation of this HRTF curve)
I believe that 4-5khz range is bothering me mostly. I'm not 100% sure though.

Jun 5, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #2,844 of 11,978
does anyone here know if a dlc driver like the one used in the KPE is better than a beryllium driver used in the FH7 ?

Jun 5, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #2,845 of 11,978
I believe that 4-5khz range is bothering me mostly. I'm not 100% sure though.

Could you post a song, or several, where you have the problem and describe what you are hearing?

Jun 5, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #2,846 of 11,978
I don't get that assessment. Surely IT01 mids are only 'recessed' in relation to the rest of the curve? It still hits the same spot as KP...in fact slightly higher if anything.
Mids are roughly from 220Hz to 2kHz - in that area KPE "seems" to "lose" in lower-midrange but "wins" or is about same in upper-mids. The thing is - You can`t judge only by that as that area relative to bass and treble frequency area differs noticeably between two and thus IT01 is perceived overall as noticeably more V-shaped "consumer tuned" but fun and "lively/engaging" compared to KPE.
I know IT01 is labelled a slightly V-shaped IEM but I think that's inaccurate as the mids are very present. It certainly has more bass presence than KP
I know what You mean and I agree. I would call it rather U-shaped with clear mids. I meant to say V-shaped compared to only KPE (A/B swapping).
but I also wouldn't say that it's soundstage is any narrower or instruments less spread out at all.
I think direct like-for-like comparisons between IEMs are so misleading as fit/tips, source/amping synergy can play a huge part.
With different gear I have, IT01 certainly is narrower in soundstage width. I`m dead-certain in it and tested this with Chesky audiophile disc tests. While it portrays very nice
soundscape, there is something different in imaging compared to KPE which makes it overall narrower (but not much). Again, I`m trying to bring out differences little "over-emphasized".
To my ears, with my gear, IT01 is a much more fun IEM with a bigger overall sound and staging (especially since I removed the nozzle meshes like you suggested). It's perhaps more crude than KP and makes KP sound a bit polite and gentle (barring the sub bass).
Agree but bigger is subjective term - I find KPE "bigger" sounding in sense of soundstaging as decays/reverbs and instruments have "more space" in width, even when both of them are modded. IT01 mods improve "air" and sparkle but don`t change imaging.
That said, KP is probably more flat and truer.
Agree.
Depends what you want. I'm not after massive detail like some, I lean more towards wanting to FEEL the music more - like a live performance.
I agree that IT01 sounds lively and fun. I like it. But with properly mastered recordings and live recordings KPE is superior in portraying more "real" and detailed experience.
For example if You say "feel the music" then IT01 is more "slams in Your face" with its bass/percussion presence and those instruments "engage" more in "liveliness".
That said, maybe I never got the best out of KP as it never did fit my ears that well with that long angled nozzle.
Might be.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #2,848 of 11,978
KP and Linsoul cable! :) IMG_8577.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back