Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jun 1, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #2,806 of 11,979
Hi,
Am interested in Moondrop A8. Not many reviews of this (in English). How this compares to qdc lines like 4SS (similar price), 8SH/SL, or even Anole VX ?
Most of my music are vocal, specially female vocal. I like forward mid/vocal, but with balanced/not recess bass and treble

Thanks you in advance
My friend has the Anole VX and heard the A8 right before he bought them. He rated the A8 as the 2nd best IEM of the last canjam. I think the take away is for the price the A8 is absolutely amazing. The VX beats it however. The VX might beat everything else also. :D

Jun 1, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #2,807 of 11,979
My friend has the Anole VX and heard the A8 right before he bought them. He rated the A8 as the 2nd best IEM of the last canjam. I think the take away is for the price the A8 is absolutely amazing. The VX beats it however. The VX might beat everything else also. :D

Thanks Redrol
Does your friend said why he think A8 is close to VX? how the Bass/Mid/Treble compare to VX?
I see you have the A8 yourself. How do you think of this IEM?

Thanks again

Jun 2, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #2,808 of 11,979
Hi,
Am interested in Moondrop A8. Not many reviews of this (in English). How this compares to qdc lines like 4SS (similar price), 8SH/SL, or even Anole VX ?
Most of my music are vocal, specially female vocal. I like forward mid/vocal, but with balanced/not recess bass and treble

Thanks you in advance
Ask in toranku's thread he has heard both

Jun 2, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #2,809 of 11,979
Jun 2, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #2,810 of 11,979
What was the list of IEMs he heard at CanJam? Did he hear the 64 Audio lineup? I don't own any 64 Audio stuff myself, but I've heard all their TOTL stuff extensively (12t/18t/Trio/Fourte/N8) and they're all very solid.

If the A8 beats those in the 64 Audio lineup, then that's saying a lot.

Jun 2, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #2,811 of 11,979
My bud said yes beats all the 64 audio lineup. Of course this is entirely preference. He did walk away with the Anole VX after listening to everything. Maybe that says it all?

Jun 2, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #2,812 of 11,979
@CoiL you wanted some measurements of the TFZ No.3 (i was not able to find the TI version but they measure similar)
here is the Kanas Pro and No.3 from the same Rig
Where did You get those graphs? Vertical dB scaling is off.
But for comparison those graphs show KPE better to my eyes (not sure about ears cuz I don`t have No.3)

Jun 2, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #2,814 of 11,979
Thanks Redrol
Does your friend said why he think A8 is close to VX? how the Bass/Mid/Treble compare to VX?
I see you have the A8 yourself. How do you think of this IEM?

Thanks again
I don't think A8 comes anywhere close to the VX, they both sounded very different.
The A8 loses out in technicality compared to the Anole VX, but I would say it's about the same as the Fearless IEM series.
I personally feel that Chifi around that price range has very well accepted tuning (be it harman or not) but they just don't have that refinement we see in other quality brand like QDC. I had a brief moment with A8 at the moondrop booth and owned VX for quite awhile. A8 seems to be very appropriately priced but I wouldn't see a reason to get unless Moondrop opens up their Custom A8 option once more. Just my thoughts on the comparison.

Jun 2, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #2,815 of 11,979
Interesting. When I could take that graph seriously, it seems very similar to my slightly modified KPE (take it with huge grain of salt as my rig is poorly calibrated and affected by software limitations):
here is the Kanas Pro and No.3 from the same Rig
9940541_l.jpg
Though, that No.3 is not Ti version. Ti version vs. regular No.3 graph is here (to me they look same, except slightly more extended treble around 5kHz):
But Audio123 mentioned Ti having better details and clarity - which was my modified nozzle grills improvement too compared to stock KPE. Hmmm...
But as we can see from last "black" graph (depending on measurement insertion depth though), Ti has later roll-off of treble @ 5kHz - which probably has to do perceived clarity and details upgrade compared to KPE and Oxygens.Your last graph though has about same roll-off point but it is matched closer to 8Khz peak resonance. So, who know what graph to take more seriously.
Now I really wonder how Ti housing materials and cable affect sound vs. regular? Maybe they use EXACTLY same drivers but "rob" money from ppl with "slight" change/upgrade?

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #2,816 of 11,979
I was going through some posts on this thread and found one that said that the KPE sounds like the HD 650. I strongly disagree. I have 2 HD 650s ( one modded). I have had them for almost a decade. HD 650 is smoother and more natural with slightly better level of details. Everything on the HD 650 sounds quite euphoric and rich while the KPE sounds dry and thinner compared to them. The treble and the upper mids on the 650 are fuller and more refined while the KPE's treble is smooth for the most part, but can sound tizzy with a few tracks . Both avoid sibilance. The bass is more textured and the upper bass is slighly enhanced on the 650s while the KPE's upper bass is thinner and it is only slightly boosted in the very low frequencies. I like the KPEs very much, but they don't sound like the 650s.

Jun 2, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #2,817 of 11,979
Blessing owner, coming in the thread.

Jun 2, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #2,818 of 11,979
Ti has later roll-off of treble @ 5kHz - which probably has to do perceived clarity and details upgrade compared to KPE and Oxygens.

EN700 Pro is like that and I like it a lot. Ti seems to be the straight upgrade to it, less than 2 weeks before next Ali sales... :)

Jun 3, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #2,819 of 11,979
I was going through some posts on this thread and found one that said that the KPE sounds like the HD 650. I strongly disagree. I have 2 HD 650s ( one modded). I have had them for almost a decade. HD 650 is smoother and more natural with slightly better level of details. Everything on the HD 650 sounds quite euphoric and rich while the KPE sounds dry and thinner compared to them. The treble and the upper mids on the 650 are fuller and more refined while the KPE's treble is smooth for the most part, but can sound tizzy with a few tracks . Both avoid sibilance. The bass is more textured and the upper bass is slighly enhanced on the 650s while the KPE's upper bass is thinner and it is only slightly boosted in the very low frequencies. I like the KPEs very much, but they don't sound like the 650s.
I think You are taking this comparison too seriously!
First of all, it is very hard to compare open-back full-size HP vs. IEM.
I think what ppl meant with that comparison is that "general sound signature" is similar and I also find KPE as IEM-world substitute for Fidelio X1 (which is quite similar to HD650).
All You said goes also about my KPE vs. X1 too... but like I said, when seen in "big picture" they are similar.

Jun 3, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #2,820 of 11,979
Now I really wonder how Ti housing materials and cable affect sound vs. regular? Maybe they use EXACTLY same drivers but "rob" money from ppl with "slight" change/upgrade?

Also, there's a version in carbon fiber (or just the faceplate?) which is $299 too on TFZ's page on AE.

I do remember when I was going to buy my first acoustic guitar there were ones with "exotic" woods and the price difference was like the entire Campfire's lineup, but apparently, the difference is due to different wood types have different reflections/absorption/resonance changing its timbre. Might isn't it a similar case? I mean, the law of diminishing returns hit hard but some people are willing to pay for it and get that 2% extra in SQ.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back