Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
May 23, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #2,671 of 11,979
Yeah well, I don't hear it like that, Also I use my IEMs on the go which means I need more bass. This is why the KPE is so popular, it works in so many circumstances , and very well.
Good point. An iem for the road needs good isolation supported by a robust low end, and it should be light and small...which actually makes the Sennheiser IE40 Pro attractive to me...but then again, some don't like the treble on this one:wink:.

Can't make it right for everybody :).

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #2,675 of 11,979
And I use the included large tips with an iPhone SE (my co-blogger used the audioquest dragonfly).
Couldn`t find SE output impedance and output mA/V by fast search atm, so can`t comment on power defiency or not but KPE benefits from proper amping.
Harman target curve tuning...which features too much bass for many.
And VERY many love that target oriented IEMs :wink:
If it is not Your and crins taste, doesn`t mean it should be touted as too "bassy". I would understand if You say bassy about regular KP, I would be totally ok with that.

I'd prefer this graph, still V-shaped but probably actually balanced [German: ausgewogen] sounding.

As said in other threads, You and Your friend have way too different measuring results and as You shoot out those graphs everywhere, then You should also consider that most of other measurements done for KPE with different rigs GET that bass on level with 2.3-4.3kHz "plateu".
You seem to be too "stuck" on Your own measurements and affected by it in Your "judgement".
Just for comparison sake, could You post IT01 overlay graph compared to KPE?

May 23, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #2,676 of 11,979
Ah, well I do mountain trail running, So I get 3-7 hours of play time, then I listen before bed and whenever. I actually only listen to 3 of those IEMs, A8 primarly, 800st and KPE. The rest don't even measure up.

I have not listened to Fearless because I don't like OCD detail too much. I'm more of a big picture guy, analog sound, not hyped detail. Big bass with texture and sweet mids. Moondrop can tune very well for my tastes. The one Fearless I actually want is the ACME.

May 23, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #2,677 of 11,979
Couldn`t find SE output impedance and output mA/V by fast search atm, so can`t comment on power defiency or not but KPE benefits from proper amping.

And VERY many love that target oriented IEMs :wink:
If it is not Your and crins taste, doesn`t mean it should be touted as too "bassy". I would understand if You say bassy about regular KP, I would be totally ok with that.

As said in other threads, You and Your friend have way too different measuring results and as You shoot out those graphs everywhere, then You should also consider that most of other measurements done for KPE with different rigs GET that bass on level with 2.3-4.3kHz "plateu".
You seem to be too "stuck" on Your own measurements and affected by it in Your "judgement".
Just for comparison sake, could You post IT01 overlay graph compared to KPE?
My personal opinion on the bass is based entirely on my listening perception. I also made it clear several times that it is my personal taste. And the personal preferences of each reviewer are laid out in the blog's team description.

A reviewer's personal preference (as long as it is known) is very important and helpful when reading and trying to digest their reviews...and it is unimportant for the discussion whether it matches the readers'. For example, I remember Vidal from Asianprovocativeear liked treble. When looking at his reviews, I could read between the lines whether that particular product was for me. Crinacle first made it clear (and I agreed), for example, that the timbre of the **** **** is off in his opinion. And it is, but this only matters for certain musical genres.

That's why it is helpful to collect the opinions of many reviewers.

As to measurements, I have the impression that the upper mids are overestimated in many IEC couplers...but that's only an impression. But what is not an impression is that the low end is all over the place in IEC couplers [example of a "high" end]...superposition would show and devalue the same old broad statements based on cherry picking. We played with a longer tube coupler (2.65 cm instead of 2 cm) and it produced an even more boosted bass. Our standard 2 cm coupler produced similar low-end results as Brooko's (he would disagree), at least broadly. And we get flat low ends for neutral iems...see our database.

Which one is right, both are IEC compliant couplers?
PSB-M4U-4-web-1649x819.png

To the impervious: I have made it 500 times clear here at Head-Fi that you cannot compare my/our measurements to the measurements of others because we all use different couplers...and our ear may be yet another coupler altogether. But my/our measurements work well for us seeing what we are hearing when comparing to other graphs produced with the same setup as it is internally consistent, even between our two rigs ["high precision"]! In the end it is hearing that creates the listening perception [duuh!] and the graphs attempt to explain the sound quantities.

Therefore, it is futile to claim my hearing is wrong because my graph is wrong and I have to hear what the fanboys hear [herd mentality!]. It doesn't make the earphone better.

If there is such basic logic missing in the discussion that we go round and round in circles over and over again, I pull out of this one now.

Goal was achieved to see whether the hype was a hype or somewhat justified by something. I threw the monkey wrench in and obviously hit the usual cultish behaviour, at least in part.

Auf Wiedersehen!

P.S. The low end of the iBasso IT01 is overcooked to the extent that is really affects clarity.
P.P.S. I just checked crinacle's personal target curve with its rather flat bass...I could live with that one.

CORRECTION: As @crinacle points out below, Headflux's first Veritas coupler was not IEC compliant as claimed by me. My comparison between there Headflux couplers above is therefore not valid as described. I now urge Headflux to withdraw all their reviews supported by measurements performed with the Veritas coupler...just kidding.

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #2,678 of 11,979
Look Otto, I`m going to post this only once (opinion about Your stuff).

My personal opinion on the bass is based entirely on my listening perception.
Yet You present Yours and Your pal graphs to "prove" Your subjective opinion, which imho are off (I`m not the only one saying/thinking it).
I also made it clear several times that it is my personal taste. And the personal preferences of each reviewer are laid out in the blog's team description.
And instead always pointing to Your "better than rest" website, maybe just consider expressing YOUR subjective opinion in Your posts? Even with just YMMV, IMSO etc. it would be clearer to reader that it is purely subjective opinion basing on personal preferences and gear setup.
That's why it is helpful to collect the opinions of many reviewers.
And still You are presenting Your opinions in "superior" manner. At least I and some of my friends been noticing such "core" of Your posts.
As to measurements, I have the impression that the upper mids are overestimated in many IEC couplers...but that's only an impression. But what is not an impression is that the low end is all over the place in IEC couplers [example of a "high" end]...superposition would show and devalue the same old broad statements based on cherry picking.
Again, You are being very selective to "prove" Your opinion. Look at antroid, crinacle, HBB measurements - they don`t show such bass levels relative to 2.3-4.3 "plateau".
We played with a longer tube coupler (2.65 cm instead of 2 cm) and it produced an even more boosted bass.
Not sure but I think bass shouldn`t change much relative to IEM distance. For example check durwood KPE graph how distance changes FR - bass is affected very little. Again, worth to check if something is "wrong" with "Your" calibration/software/coupler/source etc.
Therefore, it is futile to claim my hearing is wrong because my graph is wrong
Noone claimed You hear wrong. Don`t read out what You wish to read.
If there is such basic logic missing in the discussion that we go round and round in circles over and over again, I pull out of this one now.
You are the one who doesn`t seem to get the "logic" of what I`m trying to say and "hide" behind Your "crew".
Sorry but in science/education - basis of 2 guys getting same graph results is no academic statistic proof at all. Period.
Yet You keep saying that You have credible results with cheapest measurement rig! Geesh...
P.S. The low end of the iBasso IT01 is overcooked to the extent that is really affects clarity.
I asked for IT01 vs. KPE overlay graph. You should be able to provide it easily, yet You talk.

Be less egoistic about Your (and Your "crew") views/opinions and try to see things in wider perspective.
There isn`t only You and Your website what You keep promoting continuously like "it`s the best and most credible site ever".

I hope I didn`t insult You and brought You back on earth.

Will not answer to Your next posts and please don`t PM me again to "prove" Your "opinions".

Bye.

May 23, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #2,679 of 11,979
Hey there! KXXS is very well tuned and I like it a lot. Vocals have good space and individuality. Good soundstage + on point imaging is the chemical X sprinkle on top. As for mids, they have very good resolution and separation for the price. I'd say unbeatable at $180-190 (whatever the KXXS will go for). I can recommend it without a doubt.

You can PM me if you'd like to know anything specific. :D
Thanks for the reply been sitting on the fence about getting the KPE/KXXS for a while, the main concern i have is if the bass would feel fatiguing for long periods of listening, not a huge fan of overpowering bass and sharp treble, whats your thought on those? Cheers.

May 24, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #2,681 of 11,979
Thanks for the reply been sitting on the fence about getting the KPE/KXXS for a while, the main concern i have is if the bass would feel fatiguing for long periods of listening, not a huge fan of overpowering bass and sharp treble, whats your thought on those? Cheers.

The KPE has nothing like overpowering bass. You CAN EQ it in a basshead sense and it responds beautiful which again is a strong point. In stock form, it is pretty perfect bass to my ear, flatish with a tad extra sub bass.

May 24, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #2,682 of 11,979

Hey! kxxs and Kanas Pro have a tastefully tuned bass response. It is nowhere close to overpowering or fatiguing. Whizzer Kylin has what I call overpowering disjointed bass.

I think KP and kxxs are an easy buy. They have a sound signature which will please most. Of course if you are too nitpicky, there is no perfect IEM. But if you're in the market for a dynamic driver based IEM for around $180, get it and don't overthink it. Buyer's remorse is the worst! Ask me. Haha :p

If you want a balanced armature based IEM and can spend a bit more, get the Tansio Mirai TSMR-3 Pro for $220 which will give you some flexibility with their tuning switches..

I hope this makes it easy for you. :)

May 24, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #2,683 of 11,979
Hey! kxxs and Kanas Pro have a tastefully tuned bass response. It is nowhere close to overpowering or fatiguing. Whizzer Kylin has what I call overpowering disjointed bass.

I think KP and kxxs are an easy buy. They have a sound signature which will please most. Of course if you are too nitpicky, there is no perfect IEM. But if you're in the market for a dynamic driver based IEM for around $180, get it and don't overthink it. Buyer's remorse is the worst! Ask me. Haha :p

If you want a balanced armature based IEM and can spend a bit more, get the Tansio Mirai TSMR-3 Pro for $220 which will give you some flexibility with their tuning switches..

I hope this makes it easy for you. :)
What are the differences between kpe and tsmr 3 pro when it comes to soundstage and vocals?

May 24, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #2,684 of 11,979

Users who are viewing this thread

Back