Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #2,071 of 12,007
@SoundChoice - I think given your choice of IEMs, you probably do prefer a brighter IEM than the KP. The KP is a little more laid back in treble than the ones you mention — T3, DM6, and DMG. I would Ike the KP treble to be just slightly more elevated but not as much as the DM6. I do sometimes EQ boost it a little bit.

Apr 5, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #2,072 of 12,007
I use poweramp for android. Use direct volume control and plus 35 on the bass control... Pure bass heaven.

Forgive the brief off-topic, but where is the "plus 35 on bass control" setting in PowerAmp?

Apr 5, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #2,073 of 12,007
In the dsp settings. There is an Eq which I dont generally use but below that is A bass and treble control. The bass knob is the one in question. It creates a bass resonance that is much nicer to my ear vs just upping individual bass bands in the eq.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #2,074 of 12,007
Since we're all pointing out the obvious flaws of KPE (its a 899 yuan iem... Ofcourse it has flaws guys... ) I'd like to add my gripez and grapes.

1) takes more power than ye old'e iems. I have to put my LG G7 in aux mode for Dsd tracks to be listenable. Tested with Modern Talking and Enigma. I wouldnt rather talk about modern tracks affected by loudness wars.

2) at higher volumes has a peak around mid-highs. Didnt tinker with it as I listen with UAPP on bit perfect.

3) cable issues . Holy hell lyre, get your crap together. I am convinced my left channel is screwed. Will be ordering an NS Cable soon. Has tons of complaints on baidu too.

4) soundstage is rather average. Imaging would be average without the spacer mod too.

5) FIT was a problem for me with stock tips. Absolutely get aftermarket eartips for these. Makes a world of difference .

6) dynamics are good ... These are the perfect sound for on-the-go listening. Sadly their cable quality begs for them to be babied.

Everything else from the way it looks to the way it sounds is breathtaking. Let us bask in the fact that we low-mid tier peasants always have trickle-down tech to our ears. At this point tuning plays a massive role, otherwise it completely ruins iems. Which Moondrop nails with most of his IEMs.

Like a wise dude once said, if I was locked in a room with an entire library of songs, a good enough source and this, i'd stay okay. I personally never see it as TOTL trumping IEM, just an awesome set of audio equipment. And that's how i recommend most should see it as.

Let me put it this way, even superman has kryptonite to pull him down. To be flawless is impossible. But getting near it is an achievable feat .. this is what the IEM does so well; makes its flaws tolerable enough for everyone.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #2,075 of 12,007
Since we're all pointing out the obvious flaws of KPE (its a 899 yuan iem... Ofcourse it has flaws guys... ) I'd like to add my gripez and grapes.

1) takes more power than ye old'e iems. I have to put my LG G7 in aux mode for Dsd tracks to be listenable. Tested with Modern Talking and Enigma. I wouldnt rather talk about modern tracks affected by loudness wars.

2) at higher volumes has a peak around mid-highs. Didnt tinker with it as I listen with UAPP on bit perfect.

3) cable issues . Holy hell lyre, get your **** together. I am convinced my left channel is screwed. Will be ordering an NS Cable soon. Has tons of complaints on baidu too.

4) soundstage is rather average. Imaging would be average without the spacer mod too.

5) FIT was a problem for me with stock tips. Absolutely get aftermarket eartips for these. Makes a world of difference .

6) dynamics are good ... These are the perfect sound for on-the-go listening. Sadly their cable quality begs for them to be babied.

Everything else from the way it looks to the way it sounds is breathtaking. Let us bask in the fact that we low-mid tier peasants always have trickle-down tech to our ears. At this point tuning plays a massive role, otherwise it completely ruins iems. Which Moondrop nails with most of his IEMs.

Like a wise dude once said, if I was locked in a room with an entire library of songs, a good enough source and this, i'd stay okay. I personally never see it as TOTL trumping IEM, just an awesome set of audio equipment. And that's how i recommend most should see it as.

Let me put it this way, even superman has kryptonite to pull him down. To be flawless is impossible. But getting near it is an achievable feat .. this is what the IEM does so well; makes its flaws tolerable enough for everyone.

if you have read my review about KP, all your words mimics mine. Great job on describing them.

Apr 6, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #2,076 of 12,007
1) takes more power than ye old'e iems.
Yeah, it improves noticeably with proper amping.
2) at higher volumes has a peak around mid-highs.
Wouldn`t call it a peak. It is rather a "smooth hill" (see FR graphs) and it quite defines its sound signature, which for my subjective personal taste, hearing and gear matchup is perfect.
Seems that this kind of signature (Harman target) isn`t Your thing?
3) cable issues . Holy hell lyre, get your **** together. I am convinced my left channel is screwed. Will be ordering an NS Cable soon. Has tons of complaints on baidu too.
What`s the issue? Out of phase or bad soldering? I changed jack on my KPE Lyre cable, which lowered impedance noticeably (which @ stock was little high compared to other ppl).
Otherwise I have no complaints. Best cable all things considered I currently have (yes, even better than IT01 due to being lighter and more flexible).
Pity that Lyre has problems with their cables. Maybe due to increased demand for KPE?
This one I honestly don`t get!
I mean, sometimes it is even on level with my desk setup (Siemens E88CC goldpin is known of having extremely "holographic" 3D soundstage(scape).
Defenitely over average soundstage and many have described it sounding somewhat "holographic".
It "paints" only what there is done with mastering on record with pinpoint accuracy of cues and distances.
Using spacer/slip-stop rings improves soundstage openness/air littlebit but with no artificial "expansion".
What other sources did You try? KPE is pretty source depending/revealing.
This is very subjective and dependent on persons physical ear-shape, so recommending aftermarket tips for everybody is maybe too extreme?
Me (and some others here) have actually found stock tips best in the end out of trying many different tips (I have about 45 different). Medium-bore tips (like stock) gave best balanced SQ to me.
About this point I would like to ask:
1) what size tips do You use?
2) did You notice if tips are slipping along the nozzle when inserted(while inserted)?

How much playtime have You put on Your KPE? If You do not believe about KPE changes, ok, but just answer.

Seems very much like initial impressions from many who after some playtime are rather "amazed" what KPE can do :)
I personally never see it as TOTL trumping IEM, just an awesome set of audio equipment. And that's how i recommend most should see it as.
And I personally see/hear it as my TOTL IEM (whatever that is as it doesn`t exist!) :wink:
I think no-one here have touted them being TOTL for everybody but it can be for someone to who this signature "fits", has great fit and gear matchup.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #2,077 of 12,007
the soundstage on my KP is not average, it is larger than all my in ears except the HQ10 (HQ10 has larger height, similar width and depth) but they are like 10 ba per side
but everyone has a different setup, i run all of my in ears balanced because my dac has a weak single ended output, the balanced out is double the power, maybe that's adding to the soundstage and separation in general

Apr 6, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #2,078 of 12,007
Hello,

Does anyone know a good cable that works with the Kanas Pro and has inline controls for android (and a mic if possible)? otherwise, has anyone swapped their cables for anything else? just gathering some information :)

Apr 6, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #2,079 of 12,007
the soundstage on my KP is not average, it is larger than all my in ears except the HQ10 (HQ10 has larger height, similar width and depth) but they are like 10 ba per side
but everyone has a different setup, i run all of my in ears balanced because my dac has a weak single ended output, the balanced out is double the power, maybe that's adding to the soundstage and separation in general

true, one thing that will be different from @ScottPilgrim opinion with mine is soundstage, i found it great, above average for sure

Apr 6, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #2,080 of 12,007
Agreed the sound stage of the KPE is very large, much larger than I expected for an in-ear. The only other IEM I've tried that had similar sound stage were high end Sonys.

Apr 6, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #2,081 of 12,007
I didn't know Moondrop made USB DACs. Also I've never seen this cable on their products before. Very interesting find on Taobao.
778676CA-8E53-440A-8C4D-955462F3DD4A.png
98860685-0A18-44C9-9E7C-3CCDA9F19A35.png

Apr 6, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #2,082 of 12,007
very interesting indeed! I wonder if it has any special tuning? I'd buy something for an android phone,such as a bluetooth amp.

Someone tell Moondrop to make an english webpage

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #2,083 of 12,007
very interesting indeed! I wonder if it has any special tuning? I'd buy something for an android phone,such as a bluetooth amp.

Yes... They NEED a western representative. Moondrop brand have potential to become big.

Apr 6, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #2,084 of 12,007

It’s not special tuned ,I guess.Generally speaking,it’s smooth and a bit warm.Have good performance with my Reference,as well as er4sr and mh1c.Much better than my iPhone6s 3.5mm jack.But I haven’t done any comparison with other similar products .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back